14 Squadron Tornado GR.1

Paul J

A recent purchase from a 'B emmer here'!

Revell 1/72nd Torndao GR.1 ZD809/BA of 14 squadron RAF Bruggen 1990.
This model more or less completes my jets of 14 Squadron. (Still waiting to see who will bring us the definitive 1/72nd Venom FB4!!) Just finished it and present it here for all to see. Straight from the box other than unit and serial markings that came from Modeldecal sets.All roundels and stecilling from the kit decals(very nice!!) I wanted to represent one of the four I witnessed fly over my house back in February 1990! Fortunately Modeldecal do the 75th Anniversary decals on set 101 and lists the serails of all the aircrfat that took part in a fly by at Shoreham where the squadron was formed in 1915 that cold February day on a sortie from RAF Odiham. Admittedly the refuelling package would probably not be fitted but a bit of artistic licence on my part and so represents '809 ready for a long range overseas trip!!
Enjoy:
IMG_6332_zps05a5d401.jpg

IMG_6335_zpsd23e6ee5.jpg

IMG_6334_zpsdd53e3ca.jpg

IMG_6333_zpsc1c825c0.jpg

IMG_6336_zpsecd186fd.jpg

IMG_6337_zpscb449189.jpg

IMG_6338_zps9cdc5ca1.jpg

PS: For the wing gloves, I cut strips of masking tape, fixed them in place and painted them what I think is about the right colour!

So, with next Feb coming, it will be the units 100th!! Will they be present at Shoreham in 2015? What aircraft will they bring along??

Now I have done this one, I'll gather up all my other 14 Sqdn. models and do a photo call of them and post here. Maybe next Feb will be a good time to do this.

Cheers!!

PPS; I want another one now......SOON.!!

• Like 15

Forgot to mention. I decided to fix the wings permanently in place as they get 'floppy' with handling over time and the pylons fall off!!! And they are fixed firm too as well as the all moving tail surfaces.

Nicely painted Paul, great job on the wrap around camo. Good old Modeldecal's, they do look smart.

The covers on the fuselage for the wings to retract into, how did you do that? (Just genning up for my Tornado builds).

Nicely painted Paul, great job on the wrap around camo. Good old Modeldecal's, they do look smart.

The covers on the fuselage for the wings to retract into, how did you do that? (Just genning up for my Tornado builds).

Thanks for kind comments.

Chockhead: The wing sweep 'gloves' are from masking tape strips cut to size and painted. "Seempulls."

• Like 1

Very cool, I wonder if the RAF will give us a retro scheme jet before they leave service?

It would be nice. After all they did it with the Harrier retirement. But it seems they are going to be busy in the coming weeks. Not been a Tornado fan much but I do like it though and so I am on the look out to do another one or two some time ahead.

Thanks again all.