A4/V2 Prototype, Special Armour

Oddball

Now that the Brummbar is out of the way, I can get started on this beauty. For a 1/72 kit it's beautifully detailed, and I reckon it'll build up into something very special.

Starting off with the obligatory box and sprue shots, you get two fairly large sprues of sand coloured plastic, a small sheet of decals with options for four different rockets and a small strip of resin parts as well.

DSCF2548.jpg

DSCF2558.jpg

DSCF2551.jpg

DSCF2554.jpg

DSCF2556.jpg

Odd.

Stage 1 of the build has you assemble the rocket motor, and also doing a little fettling on the fins. The bumps have to be removed from both sides of the fins and sanded smooth. All while trying not to slice myself to shreds or break the tiny little vanes sticking out from the bottom.

DSCF2566.jpg

DSCF2568.jpg

DSCF2570.jpg

Odd.

• 2 weeks later...

A small update, the launch platform has been almost fully assembled. I have left a couple of sub-assemblies to make it easier to paint, and the parts to stabilise the rocket will be added at the last stage.

I've put the two halves of the rocket together now, and I'll begin cleaning up the seams ready for primer.

DSCF2571.jpg

DSCF2572.jpg

DSCF2574.jpg

DSCF2576.jpg

Odd.

• Like 1

A little more done today, the squadron putty I applied a few days ago got sanded down, and I spent a fair bit of time doing some scribing. The panel lines for the access panels are pretty good, but one half is noticeably crisper than the other. I've scribed both sides to sharpen them up a bit but one side may need an extra coat of primer or two to narrow them down. Otherwise it's all looking good.

DSCF2587.jpg

DSCF2586.jpg

Another task to do is reshaping the nose cone, low res pictures show the nose coming down to a fairly blunt point, not unlike a bullet, but in reality there is a detonating cap placed on the nose. The kit replicates this but not too accurately, it should look more like a pencil point and less like a pitot head. I'll get on with this later on tonight.

DSCF2584.jpg

Odd.

Edited by Oddball