Airbrush hand vs writing hand.

Oddball

Slightly odd topic here, as befits my name.

I'm an ambidextrous leftie, meaning I write with my left hand but I use my right for pretty much everything else (I'm actually convinced my school made a mistake regarding my writing hand), meaning I'm not handicapped by the need for special scissors, tin openers, that kind of stuff. I do use the hairy sticks with my left, but airbrush with my right.

Now I'll admit that when it comes to airbrushing fine lines and intricate patterns, i.e. things that more closely resemble actual writing, I'm pants at it. But, when I try to use the airbrush in my left hand it just feels totally alien. Perhaps I just need to practice, but I naturally pick up the airbrush with my right and the brush with my left.

What do you guys do, airbrush with the same hand you write with, or opposite, or both?

Odd.

I'm in exactly the same situation as you: I write with my left hand (and detail painting), but do almost everything else with my right. I airbrush with my right hand and don't find it awkward, though I can use the left in a pinch to get at tricky areas.

We should start a club. ;)

Cheers,

Jason

I'm pretty much the same as Jonners, leftie for writing and painting and airbrushing... most stuff, in fact, though I was a right-handed bass player back in the day :guitar: Come to think of it I might have been less rubbish at it if I had tried that left-handed :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

Write and airbrush with my left - virtually anything else like a hammer, bat, or racquet with my right.

Knife and fork same as everyone else, and fork and spoon - BUT spoon on it's own in my left please.

Can I ask if you chaps know your dominant eye? Mine is my right - I draw my bow with the string in front of that eye.

A left eye dominant archer has a mirror image stance to me, holding their bow and string with opposite hands and face in the opposite direction to me.

To explain a bit - most of my archery tournaments we stand on the shooting line, with targets to our North - away from the sun. Right eyed archers hold their bows in their left hand, thus facing East. Left eye archers hold their bows in their right hand, thus facing West.

I know my dominant eye is my right, since I used to do a fair bit of clay pigeon shooting. I used to get a bit of stick from the other guys for using the archery or rifle stance, apparently the shotgun should be held so that if your target is north, you also face north. Never had too much trouble hitting the clays though.

Odd.

Ah, this might be the nub of it; I have a dominant left eye, (and was a lefty for shooting) so I wonder if your airbrushing hand is dictated by your dominant eye... if so, I can predict... JasonC should be dominant right eye, Jonners and Paul Little-Cars should be dominant left eye :wacko: ...or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers,

Stew

Left with the paintbrush, Right with the airbrush. Couldn't swap over if I tried.

I write left-handed, and play snooker that way, most other things with my right, especially if it requires any stregnth such as bowling. My right eye is dominant, despite having poorer vision in it than my left.

Except darts, I never could pick a hand with darts. Probably why I'm so bad at it.

Stuart

Varies for me - I use DIY tools with either hand and throw (underarm only after an accident put a stop to over-arm throwing) left handed, but my writing's worse than my 4 year old son's if I try it left-handed. Then again, I can barely write anything legible with my right hand either these days. :hmmm: Most of my modelling is done right-dominant though. :shrug:

I'm just right handed for eating,drinking,writing,painting,Airbrushing,Tennis and Badminton bats and cricket cues but I can use any tool in either hand(using a hand saw is bit tricky). Drills and Rivet guns are fine .Over the years of ending up in stupid postions trying to get in dark holes,tricky corners in aircraft. To get the job done its use the left hand or go home! It didn't take us long to master this,did it without thinking and we're pretty much all the same.Another skill picked up is working without sight just feel and having the confidence to do it.

If I try to airbrush with my left i seem to develope a "flick" ,quick sharp movement that throws colour from the airbrush cup,not a good day out!

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous. :thumbsup:

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

Whilst in the Dope Shop at Lee-on-Solent I used to spray paint with both hands. I found it easer than moving along the aircraft as work progressed. With all that skill, I'm rubbish at airbrushing in that I tend to rush... I wonder why?

Colin