Airfix 1:72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 (fabric wing)

dr_gn

Hmm, I'd like to, but I need a decent base to stick it to. If I go any further with it, any slight distortion when I subsequently stick it down will start to throw things out of alignment (masts etc). Ideally I need a small wooden base with a perspex cover. I just haven't got around to finding one yet.

bet you find something suitable at Telford G :)

The Hurri is looking very dr_gn doc, like the others I love it already

I've masked and painted the canopy - this one is much better:

1SLFgJ2g.jpg

ZpXVCO3K.jpg

Unfortunately after glueing the original windscreen (on left) in place I realised it too has a flaw over the top edge. I'd assumed it was part of the framing, but after comparing it with the spare one on the canopy sprue (and some reference pics), it is indeed a moulding flaw. Luckily it was a simple matter to prise it off the fuselage and fit the new one:

bIEP8SWY.jpg

Also today got the corrected underwing serials from RedFirecracker. The Xtradecal plans show L1599 to be all silver underneath, but according to my incredibly knowledgable source over the pond (thanks Tango98) it was delivered from the factory with a three tone finish. I therefore needed a white serial. Despite my best efforts to confuse things, RedFirecracker made some

matches which as usual appear to be spot-on at the first attempt, so that's sorted:

GgCTNv0k.jpg

Thanks RF!

And finally, got the corrected 5-spoke wheels:

XLVX3hwi.jpg

They do look a bit thin, and the rim detail isn't as well defined as the Airfix ones, but at least it's consistently absent:

• Like 5

Very crisp canopy masking. I'm impressed that you'd replace the windscreen (I shouldn't be, it's in keeping with the amazing dedication you've shown thus far) and I'm sure the result will justify removing the original.

It's surprising that the Quickboost wheels have such vague detail; my limited experience with them suggested that they'd be a big improvement over the kit wheels, but as you say, the gain is in the consistency....

Looking forward to the next update and seeing more paint on.

Andrew.

It's surprising that the Quickboost wheels have such vague detail; my limited experience with them suggested that they'd be a big improvement over the kit wheels, but as you say, the gain is in the consistency....Andrew.

Those are CMK wheels, not Quickboost.

Edited by Sten Ekedahl

Those are CMK wheels, not Quickboost.

Right you are, Sten. I was thinking of CMK's 'Quick and Easy' line but confused the names. Apologies.

If I were to attempt a similar build, I think I'd purchase a set regardless of the provenance, given how indifferent the Airfix wheels appear.

It's been a very interesting build thread this. I have to say I'm surprised by some of the gaffs you've picked up - the lack of metal covers around the guns especially.

Whilst I would think the majority of people with this kit will just build and enjoy it, not noticing/caring about its faults - after seeing such supurb work I wonder if thats always the right approach. I know which I'd rather have on my shelf.

Great work - looking forward to seeing it finished! (Your other builds at the start of the thread are beautiful BTW)

Cheers

Stuart

• Like 1

I have both the CMK and Freightdog 5-spoke wheels and the detail on the Freightdog ones is far superior.

John.

Having seen the CMK ones in the flesh I have no doubt you are right. Do the Freightdog ones have oval axle holes?

I'll finish the model and see if it warrants better wheels. TBH I'm fed up of making allowances for the damned thing.

It's been a very interesting build thread this. I have to say I'm surprised by some of the gaffs you've picked up - the lack of metal covers around the guns especially.

Whilst I would think the majority of people with this kit will just build and enjoy it, not noticing/caring about its faults - after seeing such supurb work I wonder if thats always the right approach. I know which I'd rather have on my shelf.

Great work - looking forward to seeing it finished! (Your other builds at the start of the thread are beautiful BTW)

Cheers

Stuart

The thing is, despite the usual rave in-box reviews/previews of a new tool Airfix kit, you can't easily built this one to an acceptable standard without making fairly significant corrections to some of the part fit or form (e.g. the overlapping wingtips, misaligned wing halves and vague location of the wheel well sides). I'm not talking about modifying wing surfaces or wheels, I'm talking about basic assembly issues. Then there are the moulding flaws in the canopy, windscreen and wheels and I'm afraid the panel lines are way too big...remind me which century the kit was made in?

I'm attending an RAeS lecture next week by someone from Airfix. I'll be very interested to hear what they have to say. I'm particularly looking forward to the Q&A session at the end...

Thanks for the compliments.

• Like 2

The thing is, despite the usual rave in-box reviews/previews of a new tool Airfix kit, you can't easily built this one to an acceptable standard without making fairly significant corrections to some of the part fit or form (e.g. the overlapping wingtips, misaligned wing halves and vague location of the wheel well sides). I'm not talking about modifying wing surfaces or wheels, I'm talking about basic assembly issues. Then there are the moulding flaws in the canopy, windscreen and wheels and I'm afraid the panel lines are way too big...remind me which century the kit was made in?

I'm attending an RAeS lecture next week by someone from Airfix. I'll be very interested to hear what they have to say. I'm particularly looking forward to the Q&A session at the end...

Thanks for the compliments.

No worries, and it does make for interesting reading. I have to say that while things like the panel lines don't bother me (hell my painting is so bad they're actually a bonus!) basic fit issues like that are a real surprise. You've sorted them out nicely though.

It'd be interesting to hear what they say.

Cheers

Stuart

Edited by Sir T

The finish on this one will be more important thaqnusual: I wanted a clean looking early spec. machine, and apart from roundels there are hardly any topside markings to draw the eye from any painting flaws.

Started by masking:

8mjJn4j6.jpg

UgHbfhtw.jpg

followed by a coat of Earth preshaded with German Grey:

XqvzJbhc.jpg

Then overcoated to leave just a hint of shading along the panel lines and control breaks:

26xD0BG6.jpg

Hopefully get the Reflective Green on this evening.

• Like 4

Oh Good.

I was just musing this morning on the process of pre-shading and up pops a fine demonstration. :)

My opinion is that at 1:72, you should barley be able to see any preshading at all. Even if you 90% obscure it, it does seem to make a noticable difference. It can end up like a barely discernable panel line wash combined with a lightening of the colours in the panel centres (depending ion the colour).

• Like 1

Masked my interpretation of an early "A" type camo pattern:

dI99XDcx.jpg

Green coat, preshade, green coat:

ckoF0kpX.jpg

And my favourite part of modelling - removing masking on an early RAF scheme (flash has had a strange effect on the green - it's all one shade in reality):

K4Euun6i.jpg

...course there's an error - I forgot to mask the top part of the stbd. side of the fin/rudder, so it has a straight line, and is green. Should be a simple matter to overspray with earth:

bSHERgv9.jpg

I'm happy with how the top/bottom side demarcations turned out. The white is a bit sudden, maybe I should have used white grey, but a coat of Tamiya smoke will soon tone it down:

2voHB8Xx.jpg

UTSQqbQL.jpg

ou can see I drilled out the gun ports. I'll make a red decal for the canvas covers, and Microsol will hopefully make it sag into the holes.

Edited by dr_gn
  • Like 6

Your masking has been very successful and the result is nice and crisp. Did you cut the demarcation between green and brown in situ, or apply the masking after cutting it on a template? Either way, it looks flawless.

The two colours have turned out very well also, and I look forward to seeing your gun port covers (well, all your decalling really).

Andrew.

I'm happy with how the top/bottom side demarcations turned out. The white is a bit sudden, maybe I should have used white grey, but a coat of Tamiya smoke will soon tone it down:

2voHB8Xx.jpg

ou can see I drilled out the gun ports. I'll make a red decal for the canvas covers, and Microsol will hopefully make it sag into the holes.

I don't think the red patches came in till later.

I don't recall seeing patches, red or otherwise, on pre-war planes, away from the books, but these may help. No patches.

In this photo the gun ports are like yours are now. I'll have a look at some books later.

2525590932_97c06bc08e_b.jpg

Though in this shot they look bare metal.

3559753440_2e5c2791ef_o.jpg

Hurricane_L1940.jpg

before anyone asks, AFAIK these are real pre war colour pics, post Munich crisis.

No 3 squadron.

Good job on the Hurricane, I don't 'do' 1/72nd, but would pick one of these up cheap.

Probably easier than doing an accurate fabric wing Hurricane in 1/48 th though.

• Like 2

Your masking has been very successful and the result is nice and crisp. Did you cut the demarcation between green and brown in situ, or apply the masking after cutting it on a template? Either way, it looks flawless.

The two colours have turned out very well also, and I look forward to seeing your gun port covers (well, all your decalling really).

Andrew.

Thanks, The masking is partly freehand (flat surfaces) and for the more complex wing/fuselage lines I placed tracing paper over the model, drew the line and then stuck two pieces of masking tape to the paper. Cut to the line and peel the top tape off, and that's the mask. If you use only one piece of tape, the pencil or pen line tends to transfer to the model.

• Like 2

I don't think the red patches came in till later.

I don't recall seeing patches, red or otherwise, on pre-war planes, away from the books, but these may help. No patches.

In this photo the gun ports are like yours are now. I'll have a look at some books later.

2525590932_97c06bc08e_b.jpg

Though in this shot they look bare metal.

3559753440_2e5c2791ef_o.jpg

Hurricane_L1940.jpg

before anyone asks, AFAIK these are real pre war colour pics, post Munich crisis.

No 3 squadron.

Good job on the Hurricane, I don't 'do' 1/72nd, but would pick one of these up cheap.

Probably easier than doing an accurate fabric wing Hurricane in 1/48 th though.

I found these imges of early Hurricanes, where I can't see the gun ports. Presumably they must have been covered. The replica in the Tangmere museum has individual red patches over each gun port:

c6sDf2ef.jpg

Pkqw2GE5.jpg

B7PaJwI8.jpg

Ithink this one is Romanian:

ZwVPpfyo.jpg

Photo credits to whoever owns them - they aren't mine, and I'll remove them if necessary. Thanks