1/72 Hasegawa YF-16 and YF-16CCV Part 1 WIP.

1/72 YF-16/YF-16CCV Part One.

Well All, never a dull moment, this is my next commission and it has certainly been an industrious week so far. This is unfamiliar micro territory for me, the Blackbirds were 1/72 but they were a much bigger airframe so I really wanted to get a good start.

I will be using two Hasegawa YF-16 kits and two donor Hasegawa F-16A kits so we end up with a nice detailed two piece canopy. The standard YF kit canopy is in one piece and looks pretty naff.

Ok on with the show. First thing to do was to cut out the old areas of the cockpit frame in preparation for the F-16A donor kit parts so we can fit the two piece donor canopy and display in the raised position as planned.

102_8989.jpg

I did not want to be in a position of having to botch in loads of filler later so this was defiantly a case of measure twice and cut once. I basically want the donor parts to fit in as seamlessly as possible, reminds me of the early days of my Mechanical Apprenticeship, good old fashioned bench fitting with just a file and a saw.

102_9023.jpg

With that done I could move on to the donor kits and cut out and fit the replacement parts, nothing glued in at this point a bit of de-burring to do first. Basically I will put a chamfer on the underside of the donor parts so they will sit neatly in the slot.

102_9028.jpg

Thats a bit better, just need to be glued and an application of liquid filler. This may look simple enough but it took the best part of a day and a half to do.

102_9032.jpg

Next up was the fitting of out nice resin undercarriage bay, as you can see the kit one is a bit basic to say the least.

102_9042.jpg

Not as tough as the cockpit frame but a slow and steady approach required all the same, still a bit of cleaning up to do before I set in position.

102_9037.jpg

Both bays fitted and ready to be glued in place, I still need to fit the intake section so it is a must to get all the parts in place for dry fitting before final fixing.

102_9046.jpg

Next up the kit intake was glued together we could have used the CMK Resin one here but there is very little point. The surface detail would not be correct, it would have given us a slightly longer intake tube but this would have still needed to be blanked as the first compressor face is all the way back behind the rear gear bay. Long story short, there is no advantage in using the resin intake especially as we want to use the nice Aires front U/C bay.

Once the kit intake had dried I drilled and fitted the intake support strut, this came from the donor kit.

102_9050.jpg

Next up I fitted in the Aires U/C bay, at this point it requires a little liquid filler but I will deal with that when everything has been dry fitted and is set in position.

102_9051.jpg

Initial test fitting, quite happy with that.

102_9057.jpg

Both sets now fitted and set in position.

102_9058.jpg

Next I gave them a good clean up in preparation for the liquid filler.

102_9067.jpg

All parts now ready for filling.

102_9066.jpg

While I left these to cure for a few days I got on with the cockpit, here is the kit tub, Nasty.happy.gif

102_9077.jpg

The tub itself needed to be thinned down a bit so that it fitted the Prototype frame, much better than the kit option that is for sure. happy.gif

102_9071.jpg

Both ready for paint, need to get that dust out first.

102_9083.jpg

Next up the Aires seat it is very nice but will need to be backdated a bit, the prototype seat is quite basic and has extended side shields next to the knee and a pull wire above the pilots head.

102_9122.jpg

I have still to add the pull wire to the front centre of the seat but I will come to that later.

102_9125.jpg

The pilots forward console will not be used as it is to different/modern, it will be more practical to use the kits parts.

102_9093.jpg

I will use the donor kit part (grey) and the decals as these are very much the same layout as the basic prototypes.

102_9087.jpg

The next tricky bit was the front U/C doors, I say doors as unlike the future F-16 airframes the YF-16, YF-16CCV and F-16 Roll Out Prototype all had a two piece front gear door. The kit option was quite good in shape but lacked any detail so I a combination of the resin door and the kit door to make up something a bit more detailed.

102_9118.jpg

Burners, this is the kit option.

102_9016.jpg

This is the resin burner assembles, the Aires burner includes a flame tube and a nice etch flame holder, I will not be using the shroud on the bottom right.

102_9002.jpg

Ready for painting and fitting, I will do this at the end.

102_9111.jpg

Lastly I returned to the fuselages and removed the liquid filler, there were also a couple of minor surface flaws that needed attention.

102_9098.jpg

102_9099.jpg

102_9100.jpg

All four with the mandatory pot of Tamiya paint for scale. happy.gif

102_9135.jpg

For the coming week I will be focused on painting the tubs, seats and burners, once this is done I can get the airframes glued together and start on the remaining sub assembles.

That is all for now, F1 and British Superbikes for the remainder of the weekend.

Thanks for Looking.

Danny

Edited by danimalmagic
  • Like 6

Very cool retro Vipers. Your work so far, is very impressive.

I'm looking forward to future updates.

Jeff

Cheers Jeff, there will be a few more updates yet, i still have the 1/72 F-16 Roll Out and 1/72 F-16XL to get started on, i will bolt them on to this later on when they get to me.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

I am sure that the orginal YF-16 had the ESCPAK ejection seat but l will take a look at references first

Not relevant in this scale, so dont worry, i will be tweaking a bit more yet to de emphasise the detail, all in hand.

Danny

Edited by danimalmagic

Very interesting to see. I did many of the same modifications when I built my YF-16 (only one though) a couple of years ago. I took the Escapac seat from an Aires A-7 Corsair cockpit set.

Nils

• Like 1

Very interesting to see. I did many of the same modifications when I built my YF-16 (only one though) a couple of years ago. I took the Escapac seat from an Aires A-7 Corsair cockpit set.

Nils

Nils

Can't remember if you thinned and pointed the nose or not

Nils

Guys, let the project come together, its all in hand, good points but i have it covered just give me time, its early days yet.😁

Thanks for looking.

Danny

Edited by danimalmagic

Nils

Hi Vingtor, buy the time i have finished the seat and removed some detail it will be fine, no guarantee that the various resin escapac seats would fit the aires tub.

Thanks for the advice.

Danny

I used the Hasegawa YF16 kit with the pointed nose, but replaced the cockpit section with that from the F-16A kit, just like Danny:

YF-16_35_800.jpg

And, while we are talking about seats...

YF-16_31_800.jpg

This thread should be about Danny's models though. I am looking forward to see the progress.

Nils

I used the Hasegawa YF16 kit with the pointed nose, but replaced the cockpit section with that from the F-16A kit, just like Danny:

YF-16_35_800.jpg

And, while we are talking about seats...

YF-16_31_800.jpg

This thread should be about Danny's models though. I am looking forward to see the progress.

Nils

Nils, I have spoke with the guy i am building them for and i will order a couple, i will just hope that they fit the Aires Tub.

I needed to order a Stencil S-III-S seat for the F-16 FSD so we will see if they fit.

Dan