Panzerkampfwagon VI Late Tiger I (Tamiya 1:35)

wimbledon99

Well, the Blackhawk is finished and I have run out of excuses to have a go at a 3-colour scheme :unsure:

I looked at so many pictures for reference that it all became a blur. I could see no 'patterns' as such so decided to go at it with artistic licence. The colours were initially very strong so I over coated with a filter of the base colour. I took earlier advice from Patrick above and taped / blu-tacked the hatches in place (The finished model will have them open but the pattern should now match) - Thanks Patrick!

Anyhow, here she is. I'm fairly pleased but all advice is welcomed as this scheme is new territory for me (my last was all one colour).

I will follow up with washes and pigments etc. so I'm just hoping this 'base' is good enough.

Cheers

IMG_0339_zps28c22bba.jpg

IMG_0338_zpsd153a375.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working across the pond for the last week or so hence not been able to progress much. However, back home now and managed a few hours. Since the last post I've added washes and sprayed a coat of clear matt. The flash on the camera makes everything a lot shinier than it is to the naked eye though :shrug: I've also tonight painted the 'accessories' and started to add them to the body. I need to remove circa 200 pieces of track soon - No dodging it when these pieces are complete :fraidnot:

:poppy:

IMG_0348_zpsbe95c2d4.jpg

• Like 1

Blimey - Who thought up the idea of individual track pieces? :banghead::banghead: For those who have not ventured down this road, one starts with these:

IMG_0349_zps190df5cf.jpg

And after removing them from the sprue, the pile of 100 has to be individually cleaned with one of these:

IMG_0354_zps75af4efd.jpg

One can then make a few of these:

IMG_0358_zpsac20aa41.jpg

And join them to make one of these:

IMG_0360_zpsdae8f93a.jpg

Which after painting looks like this:

IMG_0362_zps74c75f1f.jpg

And it ends up here!!

IMG_0365_zps7366aee2.jpg

Then you have to do it all again for the other side!! Is it worth it?? I think so ;)

• Like 1

Hi Dave.

The wheels had the base coat and rims painted on cocktail sticks. They were then all fixed bar the main drive wheels for the camo effect. I used blu-tack to hold the main drive wheels in place whilst painting. Once dry and with the blu-tack was removed, I was able to feed in the tracks into place whilst the main drive wheels rotated in their mounts. Hence, the tracks are holding them in place now.

Never tried it before but it's worked a treat!!

I've just played with some 'dark earth' pigments and I'm waiting for the 'mud' to arrive in the post along with some 'dry earth'. Once done, I need to source a backdrop for the final photo's. My 'commission' is my 10 years old nephew so I hope he's not too critical!! :undecided:

IMG_0370_zpsb0d7e80e.jpg

IMG_0367_zps4e845df4.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Stix - much appreciated :) I was hoping the 'mud' would arrive by post this morning but no joy.

I have nothing on the bench now so I'm looking for something new to start. Cant make my mind up though!

Hi wimbledon. This was a great project and I'm sure your nephew will be really pleased with it.

Can I please ask what the product is that you used for the mud? I have a couple of tank builds in mind and I need to try and make them a bit more realistically 'in use' than I have tried before.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1