Panzerkampfwagon VI Late Tiger I (Tamiya 1:35)

wimbledon99

So here I am doing this for fun and I'm commissioned twice on the same night. First my nephew says "Can you build me a Tiger tank please Uncle Nigel". Then my son says "If he's having a tank, can I have a Black Hawk please Dad". They do qualify as commissions, don't they? :whistle:

Either way, here's the start of the Tiger. I'll be running this in parallel to the Black Hawk.

IMG_0162_zps88208a38.jpg

IMG_0178_zps02948a4e.jpg

IMG_0177_zps6341bdbc.jpg

THREE OF THESE TRACK SPRUES!! (this is a first for me :unsure: )

IMG_0164_zps6e2e08e6.jpg

IMG_0166_zps91c27344.jpg

IMG_0168_zpsce48980b.jpg

IMG_0172_zps697818cf.jpg

IMG_0180_zps0a94fa2a.jpg

Edited by wimbledon99

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

The track isn't as daunting as it seems.

The hardest part is removing the parts from the sprue, and don't get the spare links mixed up with the rest :)

Have fun! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Really coming together now. Great progress.

As regard wheel rim colour check your reference's for the one you are building as some Tigers had rubber tyres and some steel. I don't remember if any had a mix of steel/rubber. Hope this helps - probably NOT

Looking forward to the next instalment

Roger

• Like 1

Good progress wimbledon. I rather like the look of this tank. I enjoyed making the 1/72 Tiger for the D-Day Group Build - my current thinking is that a some point I will have a go at a 1/35 version so I will keep your build as a reference. Thank you.

• Like 1

Best thing for steel wheels is rubbing an HB pencil

on them - it gives a lovely metallic sheen.

Cool - Thanks dubster!! Was just about to paint steel but decided to post a progress picture and call it a night. Glad I did - I would have missed your tip. That's my next job then - albeit on another day :)

Edited by wimbledon99

I've never bothered with figures before but I thought I would have a go for this build. He needs some tidying and a couple of additional washes but to the naked eye, he doesn't look too bad - at least, I don't think so (camera is really critical though!)

IMG_0248_zps86abbcb3.jpg

P.S. Keeping a part on the sprue is a tip I picked up from a fellow 'Britmodeller' - Thanks PlaStix :) It works a treat ;)

Edited by wimbledon99
  • Like 2

OK - Need some advice please.

This is all the outer shell complete with wheels. I'm going to have a go at the 3 x colour scheme so I'm thinking that I tape up the holes and go for it. Once complete, I'll the add the hatches, tools and tracks then start the weathering. Does that sound about right?

All help warmly received.

Cheers

IMG_0259_zps96ea7b61.jpg

IMG_0255_zpsdbf73b2c.jpg

• Like 2

I'd paint it with the hatches in place - you can secure them from the inside with tape. That way, you're not trying to match up the camo patterns if they're painted separately.

I would have advised building the tracks sooner, before the wheels & mudguards were attached. As it is you might have a job snaking them through those tight gaps.

I usually paint the area around the wheels, The wheels themselves & then do the tracks all weathered & finished. Attach them to the model & mask off whilst doing the upper hull & turret.

Cheers

Patrick

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice Patrick - Particularly re. the hatches - Appreciated :)

I'm hoping to be OK with the tracks - I made up a small section and tested all round. The main drive wheel is not cemented yet so 'spins' when inserting the track - time will tell :unsure:

Cheers

Nigel

Hi Nigel. Good to see more progress on this. Your work is exceptionally neat and tidy. I'm looking forward to seeing it with the camo on. I keep looking at these 1/35 Tigers (and the Panthers) with Zimmerit and really fancy having a go.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix. I'm doing a little more on the Blackhawk during the week and will revisit this at the weekend. The camo is a tad daunting as it will be a 'first' but I'm hoping there's not too much that can go wrong. Famous last words!! :whistle:

Hi, Nigel, Looking very nice. This is a good kit for its age. I am impressed on how fast it is going together. I bought mine in 1996 and finally got it finished this year. Look foward to seeing it finished.

Regards, Steve.

Many thanks Steve.

I had planned on doing some work to it over the weekend but that never happened. I'm also now away on business for a few days but hoping to move it along this weekend if I can :)

I've just seen your Tiger in the RFI. Very nice indeed!! :thumbsup:

Cheers