Arnhem Anniversary- Short Stirling A.Mk.IV- New Italeri Kit

tonyot

Wow, I have a soft spot for any sterling as it was the first model I built with my dad, yours looks fantastic the write up was a very good read thanks.

Thanks everybody and I was pleased to see that the national news featured the Anniversary jump at Ginkel Heath near Oosterbeek, Arnhem today,...better late than never I suppose! I did the same jump in 1988,.....one of my bucket list days for sure!

Saw both Lancs today in the rain at Southport,.....fantastic,....thanks to the Canucks for doing us proud and bringing Vera over.

Cheers again,

Tony

Awesome build and awesome tribute. Just out of interest - a little related story.

On a side note, my Mom had a lovely old lady friend who she met when she and her husband had a car accident right outside my Mom's house. This was in Zimbabwe when I was a teen. My Mom got very close to this couple, and they were often round for tea, or we went to them for tea.

A couple of years later the old man passed away and my Mom asked if I would mind helping sort his things out as the old lady was too upset - to which I agreed.

Lo and behold in his study was a frame containing insignia from the 3rd Battallion of the Parachute Regiment including the famous beret and so on. After speaking to the old lady she confirmed he served in WW2 and fought in Market Garden under Urquhart, but had never wanted to talk about it to her or anyone else. I never managed to find out any more about him.

I have always found it very sad that so many vets don't want to talk about their experiences, even though I understand their reasons.

Edited by TPReggie

Thanks again everybody and thanks for passing on the story about the Arnhem veteran TPReggie,

My wife`s Uncle was a wartime Para Pathfinder who has since passed away and he never talked about the war at all either, apart from the fact that he was an officer in a Pathfinder Independent Parachute Company and he had an SS sword which he`d liberated. As I was still serving with Airborne Forces when he died his widow gave me his Parachute tie which I now wear with pride. On it I also wear a parachute tie pin given to me by an Arnhem veteran from the 10th Parachute Battalion, he was a great old bloke called Ray who was over 6 feet tall and still built like an outhouse, he escaped across the Rhine later during Operation Pegasus which was featured in the series `Band of Brothers'.

Cheers again fella`s,

Tony

Edited by tonyot

I've also found many veterans who won't talk about their experiences during war. My brother flew Jolly Green Giant rescue helicopters out of Da Nang during Vietnam, and in addition to never flying in a helicopter again he rarely talks about the Vietnam part of his service, and when he does you can tell he's uncomfortable. He'll talk about his stateside USAF adventures, but Nam seems to be a different thing. His chopper got shot up all the time, but luckily never got shot down.

And my wife's dad, who just passed away at 94, was part of the American troops who liberated Dachau. He would tell you that he was there, but no more. I could never get him to talk about it. If I pressed him too hard, he would get angry with me and I knew I had to back down. I can't imagine what that experience was like, so I can't fault him for his need for privacy. God bless him, he was a tough old bird.

Cheers,

Bill

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Cheers Val and Bill,....glad you like it.

Bill,......your brother must have had some very dodgy moments flying Jolly Green`s,......... but think about how many lives he must have saved. His helicopter must have been like a vision from heaven to downed aircrew trying to evade in that hell hole.

Cheers

Tony

A fantastic build and a great tribute to those who made such sacrifices at Arnhem and beyond. I recently watched Their's Was the Glory and was amazed to discover that all the 'actors' were actually survivors from the operation. I personally think it is a better film than A Bridge Too Far.

As for the model, superb stuff. I think I will need to add one to the stash. Italeri are to be commended for a releasing a kit of this version too.

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers again folks,....

Meatbox- I knew quite a few Arnhem veterans and some who returned to film `Theirs is the Glory' in 1946 and they said that the Germans had totally flattened Arnhem after the battle and forced everybody to leave! They returned thinking that the Dutch people would hate them for bring so much death and destruction to their town but they were totally amazed to be treated like the heroes that they were.

In Oosterbeek where much of the battle was fought there are Airborne flags everywhere and premises such as the `Airborne Garage'. At the crossroads outside the Hartenstein Hotel the local council tried to chop some of the tree`s down during the 1980`s but their chainsaws kept breaking and when a metal detector was used on the tree`s they were found to be chocked full of bullets from the battle!

All the best

Tony