BR Blue 47

andrewribs

Hi

Just finished a Heljan class 47, had a few ups and downs with this one but I finally made it!

Full re-paint, ESU/Legomanbiffo sound chip and Express models lighting kit fitted, Heljan motor seized so it has been replaced by a Mashima one. Shawplan window frames and laserglaze used.

DSCF2728_zps9943adbb.jpg

DSCF2735_zps6d45459c.jpg

• Like 5

Lovely job on the duff - captures the workaday appearance to a tee. :mike:

I remember them vividly in this colour scheme - although not personally with any fondness - as they were the nemesis of some of my favourite locos (e.g. class 24 and 40) on the North Wales mainline - even though they themselves were not particularly reliable.

That looks spot on just as I remember them in the 80s, blue, dull and everywhere.

Yep - " yawn, another Duff"....!! But how much do we miss them now?!

Lovely 47 Andrew, how much work was involved in changing the motor?

Nice subtle weathering, perhaps a touch of oil staining on the bogies/battery boxes would look good too?

Keith

Hi Keith

The Heljan motor decided to fail after I'd ditched the Heljan circuit board and hard wired the chip and lighting kit which made things more difficult.

Changing the motor wasn't too bad, I had a Mashima 1830 lying around and re-used the Heljan flywheels and drive shafts. The motor was slightly raised in chassis with a bit of plasticard and the side rubber mounts were re-used. The hardest part was removing the flywheels from the old motor.

I've got a few Heljan duffs so I'll eventually get round to doing the rest.

Andrew

Thanks for the info Andrew. I know it's a totally different kettle of fish, but I have an old dead Hornby Western that I may have a look at doing the same too. It's obviously nowhere near the same class as a Dapol or even Heljan one, but it was a Christmas pressie way back in the dark ages so it's just for nostalgia!

Cheers for the inspiration!

Keith

Keith

Depending how far you want to go Brassmasters do a nice detailing etch, got one for my Lima Western that was bought for me back in 1981 I think.

http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/Western.htm

It's on the long list of things to do although I am tempted by the Dapol one. East of England model show next week so I may have to give in to temptation.

Andrew

Depending how far you want to go Brassmasters do a nice detailing etch, got one for my Lima Western that was bought for me back in 1981 I think.

I'd just be happy to get the old clunker running again Andrew, don't think it's really a candidate for superdetailing! I definitely want at least one Dapol one, but at the moment can't decide whether to stick with 4mm or give 2mm finescale a try...

• 3 months later...

Duff looks great, I have a Bachmann BR Blue with Head code box which I intend to paint in XP64 scheme one day.

The Heljan Duff is a nice model though, I have three of them myself, one in BR two tone green with small yellow end and two in EWS livery. Would like to make it four if I can find EWS 47792 'Robin Hood'

Matt.

• 2 months later...