Best Smooth Silver Acrylic?

dr_gn

Guys,

What's the best smooth Silver/Aluminium/Steel acrylic paint?

I used to spray use Citadel Mythril silver, but it doesn't seem the same these days.

I'm looking for something with little or no grain, for 1:72 work.

Cheers.

I was looking at your headline and thinking Citadels your answer so that's a shame as my pot is starting to run low.

I quite like the Vallejo model air metallics to brush but I've not airbrushed them. They might be a good alternative.

• Like 2

I was going to say citadel. I always use them.

I have old and new pots both good. But a few months ago they had problems with cheap Chinese knock offs being made wrong and had to re brand all their paints so maybe try them again.

I always add Windsor and Newton Flow improver to mine and find after 2 or 3 coats they look fabulous.

Revell aqua are also amazing with flow improver.

Vallejo Model Air Aluminium and Steel are very good. Very fine grain, spray well. They do a Chrome, but I've found that one to be a bit finicky when spraying... that's almost certainly me and not the paint, though :). They do, like any Vallejo paint, need to be treated with care, or over-coated.

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

It's goint to be sprayed, not brushed.

i've got some Valejo steel, but I thought it was a bit grainy.

How about Tamiya? I thought I saw somewhere a new metallic colour which looked very smooth, but can't remember the name.

Cheers.

Thanks guys. I'd like something approaching Alclad II smoothness, but it can be a pain for smaller parts, plus it's another cleaning process for the airbrush every time I'm spraying acrylics and Alclad. Life's too short.

• Like 1

Guys,

What's the best smooth Silver/Aluminium/Steel acrylic paint?

I used to spray use Citadel Mythril silver, but it doesn't seem the same these days.

I'm looking for something with little or no grain, for 1:72 work.

I too are on the quest to find the best silver paint for silver dope! I read many posts on the forum here and found that Citadel Mythril silver was great for this. Unfortunately Citadel changed their paint manufacturer and the new silver isn't the same any more.

I am not in a position to know if this is correct or not as I have no old or new Citadel paint, so above comment is only based on what I read.

But I also read that the old "Citadel" Mythril silver is STILL available under the "Coat D' Arms" label as Enchanted silver as Coat D' Arms is still using the same paint manufacturer Citadel (Games Workshop) used in the past!

You can read more about this here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234952440-citadel-paints/

http://wargameguru.weebly.com/in-focus-review---coat-d-arms-acrylic-paints.html

And here is a comparison chart:

http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=coat-darms-paint-information~cda000&category=accessories~paints-%252d-coat-d%27arms

I ordered some from Hasslefree Miniatures for testing.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3

I think the Revell acqua is pretty good.

BUT....I have a pot of Vallejo I think it is labelled ' Air' or something. It airbrushes nicely but never ever seems to dry. Comes of on my fingers goes horrid when decals applied so washes away with water goes horrible when Klear or other is airbrushed over it..All this when its applied over a primer!!

• Like 1

Thanks for the opinions guys.

I picked up some Tamiya Aluminium today, and dug out the rest of the silvers I've got. I decided to do a comparison panel, and here are the results:

uZHMDqp2.jpg

Obviously the photo is useless as an absolute guide to shade, but I can say that in terms of smoothness, the Vallejo Silver and Steel are pretty good, as are the Citadel Ironbreaker and Runefang. The Tamiya is the worst for grain.

Surprisingly, the Humbrol Matt varnish seems to do wonders for reducing the apparent grain size.

Citadel Runefang is nice, but IIRC not quite as chrome-like as Mithryl (sp?) Silver.

So...horizontal strips top to bottom are:

Vallejo 997 Silver

Tamiya XF16 Aluminium

Citadel Ironbreaker

Citadel Runefang

Vallejo 864 Steel

Vertical strips left to right are:

Uncoated [] Klear [] Tamiya Satin [] Humbrol Matt #49 Aerosol

• Like 5

Have you tried the Gunze buffable metallics? They are very thin with very fine grain. I have brush painted them and they airbrush straight from the pot. They are pretty fragile though but you can buff them to various finishes.

• Like 1

Interesting that the matt varnish should have such a positive effect... I'm going to give that a try. Thank you!

BTW, I note that you're using Model Color. It might be worth your while trying Model Air (numbers 062, 063, 064 and 065) as they are finer-grained. Worth a shot if you have the time and inclination.

• Like 1

Hello,

Many thanks for posing the question, conducting the experiment and for posting your results above.

I have another suggestion which is possibly worth considering (unfortunately I haven't had the chance to try these myself): the new Vallejo Game Air metallics (72.252-254, or their new metallic primer, 628). They come highly recommended by Andrew Goodridge in his YouTube review (metallics dealt with at around the 4.20 min mark), although the brightest/lightest of these (72.252) is probably not too dissimilar to the Model Air silver (71.063?) John mentions above.

I'll have to fire up the spritzenschutzenluftpistole this weekend and let you know how smoothly they turn out.

cheers,

Andrew.

• Like 1

I think it's as much a case of the 'Air' ranges being composed of finer pigments as being pre-thinned, although they are noticeably thinner than Model Colour paints. That said, I still tend to thin them further to optimise their performance through the airbrush, in the limited experience I've had thus far.

This finer pigmentation will hopefully help to yield the smooth finish you're seeking. I intend to practice very soon.....

cheers,

Andrew.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So just to comlete the thread, I got some vallejo Air Silver, aluminium and Steel. I tried them tonight ona Hurricane I'm building, and they are very good. Subjectively I'd say they are slightly better than the Model colour versions in terms of grain, but that may just be lighting. Whatever, the Silver is the match of Citadel, at least when sprayed IMO.

6E8lNGyc.jpg

Cockpit parts, wheel wells & covers there are silver, wheel hubs Aluminium and the rest (slightly darker) is steel.

Cheers.

• Like 3

Well done and thanks for posting the results of your trial.

The cockpit parts and wheel doors do indeed look very smooth; I have no experience of the Citadel paint but if the Vallejo Model Air stuff is an acceptable alternative, then that's a good thing. I really do hope to be able to test my recent Vallejo acquisitions in the near future.

regards,

Andrew.

• Like 1