Multipose WWII British Infantry Figures - Airfix 1/32

Julien

Multipose WWII British Infantry Figures

Airfix 1/32

b1.JPG

b2.JPG

The Kit
I can vaguely remember getting a set of these in the early 1980's. The set was first issued in 1977 and has been re-released a few times over the years. Airfix have now released this in a starter set with 6 paints, 2 brushes and a tube of glue. The figure parts look well sculpted and the weapons are very well moulded. There is very little flash on the sprues considering the age of the moulds.

b3.JPG

b4.JPG

There are 6 figures in the set.
  • Running with rifle
  • Walking with sten gun
  • Throwing grenade
  • Kneeling with rifle
  • Lying with rifle
  • Standing with bren gun
All of the figures come as separate legs, torso, arms and heads. Separate webbing pouches, back packs, water bottles and bayonet pouches are provided for each figure. A variety of head gear is also included. Though it is strange some of them are not included in the instructions. Helmets with and without covers, berets and an officers field cap are on the sprues but only the helmets are shown on the instructions. One Bren Gun, two sten guns and three Lee Enfield Rifles are provided for the figures. Bayonets are provided for the rifles as well. Again there are some parts on the sprues not on the instruction; two sets of binoculars, a small 2" mortar and a case for the mortar bombs. Bases are provided for the figures if not to be used in part of a diorama.

b5.JPG

Decals
Decals are supplied for ranks and unit patches. The following shoulder flashes are provided;
  • Coldstream Guards
  • Green Howards
  • Dorset Regt
  • Hampshire Regt
  • Welsh Guards
  • Kings Scottish Light infantry
  • South Lancashire Regt
  • Grenadier Guards
Various what look to be Division Patches are supplied but there is no mention of these on the instructions. In addition Red Cross armbands are supplied though again no mention is made of these on the instructions.

decals001.jpg

Conclusion
These moulds have stood the test of time well for Airfix and its good to see these sets being made available again. Slightly let down by poor instructions but overall they do look good.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of logo.gif

good review Julien

I did a load of these back in my youth.

A few points, while these are intended as post D-Day, from their equipment, Lee Enfield MkIV, Spike bayonets and also the 1944 pattern helmet,[the camo ones on the box] as well as the classic tin hat, the uniform is the the 1937 pattern with pocket pleats and concealed buttons, by this stage the 1940 economy pattern would be more likely, no pleated pockets and exposed buttons.

Earlier pattern British equipment can be found the 8th Army multipose set, like the Mk III Lee Enfield, 18" sword bayonets and Thompson sub machine guns.

The figures are also athletic tall men, and photos of WW2 tommies show many to be of small stature...

The biggest drawback is the scale, as they don't fit well with 1/35th. Airfix did a few 1/32nd tanks back in the late 70's, but they were western desert orientated, [Crusader, Lee/Grant]

But, for a pure figure modeller they are excellent, as the mutlipose system was meant for mix and match, and this applies for the other sets, for example, cross kitting using the 8th Army will allow figures in shirt sleeves, or using the earlier weapons would allow, they could be used as guard figures for that downed BoB Bf109 in a cornfield , or with some filling, make 1/32nd ground crew.

The get the best, some carving is needed to get equipment to fit, and the old issues came with a small sheet of approx 5 thou plastic card for rifle straps and belts.

The plastic they used to be from was of a very pleasing nature, fairly soft, which made for easy clean up

There was an Airfix Magazine Guide book which had various figure conversions based on the Mulitpose figures, and the 54mm figures Airfix did as well, mostly Napoleonic, as these match in scale, as do the Historex range.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Model-Soldiers-Airfix-magazine-guide/dp/0850592348

A quick look at Airfix site shows they have also re issued the US Infantry and German Infantry.

a couple of further comments, the US set is good, based on the 1943 pattern uniform, but has the figures in paratrooper type boots, as opposed to the more usual gaiters or boot with integral gaiter.

For the pure figure modeller converter using British legs with German torsos, will give a basis for late war German figures who started using anklets with ankle boots and short battle dress [based on the British pattern] as an economy measure.

German jackbooted legs with skirted jackets and carving away webbing, and boot modifications, could lead to RAF pilot figures.

add some filler to British figure, to make a jump smock, and you can make a paratrooper.

The US Infantry legs/boots are very similar to the ones used by German paratroops, so again, US legs, German torso with cut down helmet can get you a Fallschirmjager....

This was more relevant 30 years ago, before the likes of Masterbox and Dragon had figures for everything concievable, but given the sheer range of poses possible from these sets along with the interchangeability, it allows the modeller with a creative bent to make a unique figure

Here's one of my part done projects using these figures as basis

http://www.network54.com/Forum/578046/thread/1276376101/A+multipose+project,+photo+heavy.

and here's a Paratrooper from the infantry set, just had a longer jacket made of thin plastic card....

not the best, or very accurate... but I was 14 when I did it...and gives an idea of potential.

S7303182.jpg

hope of interest

cheers

T

Cheers for the info, not sure how much post D-Day they are supposed to be, suspect Airfix just saw a reason to re-issue and stick the 70th Anv logo on the box.

They are though as you say nicely sculpted figures.

Cheers for the info, not sure how much post D-Day they are supposed to be, suspect Airfix just saw a reason to re-issue and stick the 70th Anv logo on the box.

They are though as you say nicely sculpted figures.

Hi Julien

from the equipment, specifically the MkIII helmet, they are supposed to be NW Europe troops.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_III_helmet

The Mk III Helmet was a steel military combat helmet developed for the British Army in 1941. First worn in combat by British and Canadian troops on D-Day, the Mk III was used alongside the Brodie helmet for the remainder of the Second World War. It is sometimes referred to as the "turtle" helmet by collectors, because of its vague resemblance to a turtle shell.

640px-Canadianmortarteam.jpg

Rare colour photo of a Canadian mortar team, taken in 1944. All three men are wearing Mk III helmets.

At least one of the sets of instructions says 1943-44

328_006.jpg

Anyway, good to see them available again, I wonder if the Napoleonic figures will get a reissue for the 200th anniversary of Waterloo next year?

They were very well done as well, and again, have much potential for modification/conversion ;)

cheers

T

• 7 months later...

One interesting addition for figure modellers, I got some 1/32nd Airfix figures cheap, a few Australian figures were in white, which a dab with liquid cement shows then to be made of some kind of styrene, as opposed to the usual polyethylene, so they can be worked on and modified as a normal kit, and i always liked the Australian set.

Now the old figure sets are 1 piece mouldings, but some are very well sculpted, some less so, but they the polythene made serious modelling with them a challenge.
A bit of seaching and I believe all the Airfix 1/32 figures that were polyethylene may well now be some kind of styrene, it certainly behaves like it.
If so this really expands the Multipose sets, as there are parts and figure types not done in multipose.
But, now with some careful carving, and mix and match, a very interesting set of figures are easily available, or even using multipose parts to detail up the base figures, allowing easy replacement of parts limited by the one piece moulds with separate parts, or new parts, the multipose usually had alternate parts, headgear and weapons.
I even found an ebay seller , 497_gotthatone, whose been cross kitting figures to do this, swapping heads over to make new versions. Spent an entertaining 15 mins working out what had been crossed with what, and this was just done a really simple level.
I've been carving away at an Aussie Brengunner...I'll try replacing the gun, as it's broken and I have old multipose spares.
to show what I mean, the right figure has had gun carved away, and arm roughly reshaped, the right figure shows the solid between gun and arm.
Airfix_Australian_brengunner_DSCF0190.pn
some interesting possibilities for figure modellers, and the Airfix toy soldiers at RRP of £8 for 14 gives plenty of potential.
the range is shown here.
the Polythene figures feel flexible and a little 'greasy' , the styrene are rigid and go 'tink' if you flick the base.

I love the Multipose figures and have a fair few in the stash.....You can swap the parts about between sets for added variety and they are a great basis for scratchbuilding figures too. :coolio:

• 5 years later...

Fab review, and led to track down a set of these on eBay for a diorama I'm planning alongside the 1/32 17 pdr.

However...

Unbeknown to me, the set I bought was the older boxing...which is fine, all components there and great mouldings. But the decal sheet...eeeesh! Did Airfix ACTUALLY expect people to build this kit with 6 soldiers each from different regiments???