1/48 - BAC/Sud-Aviation Concorde 101/102 resin kit by HpH - released

Homebee

If it is a Concorde, who (except Tom Probert LOL ;) ) has the space for one?

I'd love one... but the wife wouldn't... and no doubt it'll be pretty pricy... the 1/72nd scale one is big enough for me to be honest :)

• Like 1

Hmm, an impressive piece of design work, BUT I do wonder why various companies suddenly seem to be wanting to produce bigger and bigger models. Yes, I know Monogram did the same with their B-52 and B-36 in the 1970s, but I get the impression that there is a lot of oneupmanship going on here.

"Oh look, a 1/32 B-17. What can we do that's bigger?"

I think these companies, as well as we the modellers, would all be a lot better off if instead of producing these mega-detailed monstrosities they brought out kits that people actually want, you know, those that actually stand much of a chance of being purchased and being built. As an unscientific survey I have only had one order for the HK Lancaster, none for the B-17 and I certainly don't expect any for this beast in the shop. And I see plenty of 1/200 warships and big scale heavy bombers on the WiP pages... not.

I cannot fault the detail; the HpH Catalina interior is superb, but to my mind they are little more than vanity projects in a big willy waving contest between companies whose marketing departments need to get out of their little bubbles and start talking to model makers.

• Like 4

Nice, but I'd rather have a 1/32nd scale...

...Flagon, Draken, Buccaneer, Jaguar, Spey Phantom, Aardvark, Six, Foxbat, Foxhound, Aunty 52, Scimitar, Sea Vixen, etc.

This big Concorde is the type of model that used to be bought, ready made, by travel agents to entice a certain clientele with a penchant for caviar and drinks with little bubbles.

Tony

Hmm, an impressive piece of design work, BUT I do wonder why various companies suddenly seem to be wanting to produce bigger and bigger models. Yes, I know Monogram did the same with their B-52 and B-36 in the 1970s, but I get the impression that there is a lot of oneupmanship going on here.

I think these companies, as well as we the modellers, would all be a lot better off if instead of producing these mega-detailed monstrosities they brought out kits that people actually want, you know, those that actually stand much of a chance of being purchased and being built. As an unscientific survey I have only had one order for the HK Lancaster, none for the B-17 and I certainly don't expect any for this beast in the shop. And I see plenty of 1/200 warships and big scale heavy bombers on the WiP pages... not.

I cannot fault the detail; the HpH Catalina interior is superb, but to my mind they are little more than vanity projects in a big willy waving contest between companies whose marketing departments need to get out of their little bubbles and start talking to model makers.

It may very well be, in the end the announcement of such a beast is likely to bring a company in the spotlight immediately.

However HpH is a manufacturer with a very small production, their commercial logics are very different from the likes of Airfix or Revell. I wouldn't be surprised if the full production run of the 1/48 Concorde is only a few hundred or even less. There's no problem in finding a couple of hundred enthusiasts around the world, different story is finding the many thousands needed to repay the investment for a mainstream injection moulded large kit.

Edited by Giorgio N

I think you're overstating the potential production run for a 1/48 Concorde. The real aircraft was an expensive white elephant that didn't sell, and this kit is likely to recreate that aspect as well.

HpH are indeed a manufacturer with a very small production; so too were MPM/Special Hobby, Eduard and Mini Art, but by producing items that would sell in reasonable numbers they have all grown and have entered the mainstream. Frankly, HpH do not appear to be showing any kind of commercial logic; yes, their name is being mentioned, but is it for the right reasons?

There is a lengthy thread running about whether or not Airfix are likely to release a Shackleton; now, the difference there is that even if they don't, we know that they will bring out kits that many of us will want and, more importantly, be in a position to obtain. I just don't see HpH doing that, and maybe they don't. Maybe all they want to do is to bring out big, niche vanity projects, but they'll never grow their business by doing that, and any business, be it a market florist or a multi-national, has to do that to survive.

Put it another way, how many 1/48 Concordes are we likely to see on club tables over the next three or four years?

• Like 1

I think you're overstating the potential production run for a 1/48 Concorde. The real aircraft was an expensive white elephant that didn't sell, and this kit is likely to recreate that aspect as well.

HpH are indeed a manufacturer with a very small production; so too were MPM/Special Hobby, Eduard and Mini Art, but by producing items that would sell in reasonable numbers they have all grown and have entered the mainstream. Frankly, HpH do not appear to be showing any kind of commercial logic; yes, their name is being mentioned, but is it for the right reasons?

There is a lengthy thread running about whether or not Airfix are likely to release a Shackleton; now, the difference there is that even if they don't, we know that they will bring out kits that many of us will want and, more importantly, be in a position to obtain. I just don't see HpH doing that, and maybe they don't. Maybe all they want to do is to bring out big, niche vanity projects, but they'll never grow their business by doing that, and any business, be it a market florist or a multi-national, has to do that to survive.

Put it another way, how many 1/48 Concordes are we likely to see on club tables over the next three or four years?

What we don't know yet is how many of these kits will be made. I threw the couple hundred figure but they may even be less. HpH kits are pretty much handmade, I'd expect their production figures to be pretty low.

They are sure lower than the various MPM or Eduard: short run kit production are generally in the few thousands , here we're talking resin and resin kits are easily an order of magnitude lower in terms of production. The Concorde is likely to be one of those fibreglass/resin hybrid, kits like these are all handmade one by one, can't be made in thousands

HpH also can't be compared to the others mentioned as their business is different, they are active in the production of custom fibreglass parts for various industries and their models reflect this. If I understood correctly, the production of kits is only a small part of their business.

If the total production run of this kit is small, there will be no problem in selling them all.

Edited by Giorgio N

Their 1:32 Catalina is 600 Euros including full interior details photo etch sheets by Eduard, decals and masks etc. The whole kit seems to be resin (including the clear parts) - no vacuformed parts are used. I suppose the Concorde will be similar - also price wise.

A 1:32 Catalina is massive and maybe even more difficult to put on a shelf than a 1:48 Concorde. And I am not sure which of the two will sell better.

In the end it is quite clear for me that I will not buy either mainly because of the price tag, which is high enough that I do not need to bother where to put the kit. As a bottom line I would prefer an accurate Concorde in 1:72 at a price below 150 GBP - yet I find it spectacular that a 1:48 Concorde is done. I am sure it will look awsome and I wish HpH that it sells out fast.

Maybe it will lead another manufacturer to do a correct 1:72 Concorde, before I start to tackle my Airfix one.

Rene

I agree, but they must be doing this for some reason, it's rather random and it will only attract the people with big wallets and the die hard Concorde fan. (and serious stash hoarders! :lol:)

I would of much preferred an IL-18 or something...

• 3 weeks later...

Oooh! Pretty! I suspect HpH makes what they like and if any of it sells to anyone else, all the better. Sounds like someone is getting their hobby paid for by their 'customers'.

I would have done it using vac plastic for the large bits, though I guess one works with what one knows...

Regards, Robert

A terrible and misinformed post. I have a have a number of HpH kits including the 1/32 MiG 15 and the quarter scale IL 28 those are not vanity projects - given Trumpeter had previously released a 32nd MiG 15 before, it's brave. and confident move. The World is full of smart bottoms.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk
  • Like 1

Photos of complete resin parts are added at our e-shop site. We are now working on photo-etched parts and decals.

Source: http://www.hphmodels.cz/index.php/en/shop-2/produkty-hph-models/modely-v-meritku-1-48/concorde-101-102-in-scale-1-48-detail

The kit will be in a common sale since a beginning of November. You can pre-order it via [email protected]

- primary parts from fiberglass,details made from resin

- CD building instructions

- canopies from acetate

- metal reinforcements cast into the highly-stressed resin parts

- photo-etched parts,coloured parts Eduard

- decals,masks

krabice-300-nahled1.jpg

PA229672.jpg

PA229677.jpg

PA229681.jpg

PA229682.jpg

PA229686.jpg