Spitfire Mk.IX flown by Ioannis Plagis, ICM 1/48

Stathis

Mr.Ioannis Plagis was the first Greek pilot flying with foreign markings that I heard about.

He was from Rhodesia, born by Greek parents.

For this build, I first took a look here: http://imansolas.freeservers.com/Aces/John_Plagis_en.html

But when I did a little more reasearch, I found out the following web site, where I read about a different style of the invasion stripes

(click on the rectangular on the left to read the pdf)

http://www.fundekals.com/spitfirePlagis.html

It is my first attempt to pose a Spitfire with the engine in plain sight. ICM does not provide all the things that go on the engine firewall, so the engine compartment seems empty. Eduard has a resin engine for Spitfire Mk.IX but it costs a lot more than the ICM kit itself!! This is why I left it as it is. I am wonderin of adding some engineers, in order to have an excuse about why some pieces are missing! :D

I only added some wires and I made the cooling pipes from that thing that plumbers use to weld pipes and painted with Brass from Vallejo.

I forgot to paint the flaps with the stripes and I painted them with a brush. It is not a good result, but some time after this build, I saw some photographs of some men painting the stripes with a brush...!!! So, I am historically correct...almost! :D

DSC_77422.jpg

DSC_77452.jpg

DSC_8233.jpg

DSC_8234.jpg

DSC_8235.jpg

• Like 3

That's very smart Stathis. I really like the finish. :goodjob:

I know what you mean about the engine - I made the Revell re-boxing of ICM's Mk.XVI Spitfire and decided to 'enhance' the engine a bit - there's some photos part way down the page here

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...