September 15

Jonny

September 15 ended just minutes ago,

I was looking for some comment in the media to the effect that September 15 used to be celebrated as Battle of Britain day.

Not a peep (again).

Sad, isn't it?

It probably does not help that there are no more Battle of Britain air shows now.

Perhaps ...

But I do recall 'Flag days' when street collectors provided stick on 'wings' in exchange for a donation. I think the proceeds went to support RAF veterans. Even that has stopped.

Yup I agree and not a peep on the 17th either to commemorate the 70th Anniversary of Op Market Garden and the Battle of Arnhem/ Oosterbeek! In the past they always used to put the film `A Bridge Too Far' on the telly and at leas mention it on the news,.......very sad! Maybe it is because they are too busy reporting the Jocks?

Cheers

Tony

I flew my little RAF Ensign from my lamp arm at the Fun Factory all week. Only one person asked why, and only one (ex Royal Air Force) knew why. As for the rest they neither knew nor cared.

We had an office full of visitors on Monday and, had it not been for the men and women of Fighter Command, the Royal Observer Corps, the Anti Aircraft Artillery units and God alone knows how many others many, if not all, of them would not have been born or, had they been, their futures might have lain within the confines of a Nazi forced-labour camp.