Space Battleship Yamato General Thread

Misrule

Bit more information on the Andromeda, she's due out in March for the rather princely sum of 12,000 yen. Which is mental. The Domelaze which is as big as a 1/350 carrier was about 9,000 if I recall and the Andromeda isn't close to that size, most likely its the light and sound additions that are bumping the price into orbit.

Bit disappointed, was quite looking forward to this ship but not at that price. With a bit of luck a static version will show up later for those of us less easily impressed by bright lights and noise :D

They are also bringing back the Earth Force warship box set (Battleship, cruiser and destroyer) but presumably in the newer blue and grey schemes rather than the lolipop colours of the original :)

15874632_1370193376355835_48411784353279

• Like 1

it is looking quite good isn't it. I like the look of the new Gatlantis Capital ships - but need more views. Is it still the same characters from 2199? If so, they have't aged a day!

Still, that won't detract from the enjoyment of watching them destroy ships left right and center. Wonder what happens to the Yamato then if the Andromeda is the new flag ship? It was still flying about in the last series - although less the wave gun

• Like 1

You're right, they are looking very young and fresh faced still :P No worry lines from having to save the Earth or anything! Natural born heroes I can only assume :) Should be most of the same folks save the few that were killed last time out, plus a whole new bunch of Green baddies to look forward to though in theory the main villain from 2199 should be showing up for a second attempt at revenge.

Not sure what is happening with Yamato in this one, she looks like she's in pieces in the videos. In the old show they had decommissioned her and planned to make her a museum ship as while she was a powerful vessel she was very crew heavy and built to prototype specs. The new fleet was more automated, more advanced, and in the case of Andromeda more potent as a warship in every aspect. Might be the same here. Though again in the old one Andromeda was a one off brand new prototype super ship, this time they are mass producing them which is potentially awesome. We already have a Carrier variant of the Andromeda beside the standard battleship design and some different paint schemes, all we need is an affordable kit :D

As a small aside that new fighter? One with all the missiles? Someone spotted that the tail code reads 'Moonbase Alpha' as a nod to Gerry Anderson :)

• Like 1

I'd like to see the carrier version of the Andromeda - that could be quite cool (at least, the mental vision I have is)

Like you said,  I thought the Andromeda was also a one off ship like the Yamato. So on this one, there is no one super ship to save everyone - just a whole fleet of them. No "hero" ship so to speak because they are all the same.Maybe a nod to a Cosmic Communism? :D 

• Like 2

My guess is those other Andromeda types are going to have a very short service life and the old ships will need to make a come back to save the day :P

the DVD art looks pretty nifty

2202bd01_special_sleeve.png

The Andromeda looks mean of course and the Yamato is stripped down in dock there. That big ship behind her is a Gatlantis Dreadnought, we haven't seen that one in the trailers yet so they are probably saving it as a challenge. Very big looking warship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Misrule said:

those other Andromeda types are going to have a very short service life and the old ships will need to make a come back to save the day

I wonder if that would be down to more bad seamanship than poor craft design. You know what they say about a bad tradie blaming their tools and all :)

I still don't like that bridge wing design of the Andromeda though - no matter how many different views I get of it. It still reminds me too much of the snake thing from Prometheus and the wings are too thick. I would almost look at making my own replacement. Something with a little more finesse and style. I like the Yamato's bridge section in that respect. Mind you, given that Earth and the Garmilla's have joined forces I would have thought there would be more of their influence in their style. Maybe they just aren't THAT buddy buddy just yet

• Like 1

Funnily enough the next generation of Earth ships do have some Gamilas flavour, those big side vents are very Domelaze style....

latest?cb=20130925003232

They have enclosed engines too like Gamilas ships instead of the big rockets of the old school Earth fleet. Probably took a while to get it integrated, my guess is its a sign of technology sharing.

Earth does like those T-Shaped superstructures though :P

x2%20Earth%20Federation%20Fleet.jpg

Though oddly the Andromeda Mark II has a plain looking bridge

latest?cb=20140307144116

Be very interesting to see the Andromeda design with an alternate bridge, you could definitely make it work :)

I would have sworn that in the original show there was more than one Andromeda class in the Battle of Saturn. Wiki says so too, but I can't find any proof in the clips on YouTube. :hmmm:

Maybe I'm remembering one of the board games. ....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Found a few pics of the Andromeda kit, the fellow who does the ship designs for the new series got his hands on a couple of early releases and built a couple up, one in standard grey and the other customised. 

C3v0WRzUoAA9w25.jpg

C34lJK3VYAAbme2.jpg

C3oBzMPVUAQvL2u.jpg

The kit is 444mm long so pretty hefty, he has a few build photos on his twitter thingy 

https://twitter.com/makomako713/media

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Few new ships to report on, hopefully Bandai will put these ones out at a reasonable price :P

First is the mass produced Andromeda type in a nice blue scheme

img_mecha_2A_2.png

then a carrier variant with a literal flat top holding 180 fighters

img_mecha_2A_3.png

And finally the Main Earth ship of the line. Where the Andromeda type are meant to be flagships these ships are the backbone of the fleet

C42sPQqUcAABZnr.jpg

Nice to see some English names too on these craft, more of a united Earth fleet feel to it

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I see the Andromeda has been released and is on sale at HLJ for $124.00 (AU) - or 10,800.00 yen

I would buy it but I just don't like it enough to warrant spending that much on it. I did buy the re-boxed and coloured Kirishima set though :) I have plans in mind for that :dog::eat:

• Like 1

Yeah it's just so expensive. Fingers crossed they release a version without electronics maybe with markings for one of the sisters, those nice blue ones.

They also put the standard Earth battleship up for pre-order, the Dreadnought class designed to replace the old Kirishima type

https://hlj.com/product/bann16388/Sci

it sold out in less than 24 hours, took me by surprise before I could make a choice :P

Reordering in June by the looks of it. They must have only had a few copies of it on hand for it to sell out that fast.

I like that ship - much better looking than the Andromeda - or should I say, at least the bridge looks better. I would much prefer the dreadnaught bridge on the Andromeda. Like you say, I would also prefer a version without the toy like lights and sound gimmicks. 

• Like 1

I have been trawling the net again looking at more SBY stuff and found this unique search from Yahoo Japan:

https://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=https://search.yahoo.co.jp/image/search%3Fp%3D%E5%AE%87%E5%AE%99%E6%88%A6%E8%89%A6%E3%83%A4%E3%83%9E%E3%83%882202%2B%E4%B8%BB%E5%8A%9B%E6%88%A6%E8%89%A6%26rkf%3D1%26atview%3D1%26ei%3DUTF-8%26imw%3D0%26imh%3D0%26dim%3Dwidewallpaper%26ctype%3D%26imt%3Dspecific%26imcolor%3Dblack&prev=search

well worth a look through at some serious talent!

Also found this dude who has done some pretty cool SBY inspired ships:

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/myedf/c/bfc8486fd4b962b17e73cbe62246d8a5

Edited by Madhatter
  • Like 1

looking at pictures of the Andromeda sprue there are a couple of parts marked as not for use, they seem to be parts for the bow guns and the stand. That does suggest we might see a basic kit in the future, I mean seems odd to include unnecessary parts on their brand new flagship kit :)

I don't know what's wrong with me - I must have some kind of plastic addiction but I just bought the Andromeda with a view to changing the bridge and adding some surface detail to it. I need my Paypal account striped away from me before I go broke.....

• Like 1

hahahaha - yeah me too. I thought I was being very restrained but after my Google searching last night for images of the new show I got so inspired that I caved and bought one today. No one else has refitted the bridge because everyone wants to stay true to the show - which is fine -but I just can't accept that bridge design - no matter how hard I try :)

I will begin it later on this year once I have finished the QM2 :D and I will most likely be calling on Warren to sort me out with a new lighting board for it. The kit one just won't do and it looks to toy like for my tastes

The engine nozzle will also need to be reworked as it looks a little bit too basic. And some extra body panels to boot ..... I have issues

• Like 2

After watching this video, I can not in good consciousness (or taste) bring myself to use the sounds board on this kit:

It's almost as bad as the Revell Lights and Sounds Star Destroyer

Here are the engines:

• Like 1