Space Battleship Yamato General Thread

Misrule

how did you know that it was a scratch build?? Damn - that guy is good! I didn't pick it at all - I thought it was a test shot of the upcoming kit. Have you seen other pictures of it somewhere?

The measurements for the command ship are 63.7cm long apparently - only 17cm shy of the Domelaze

Yeah, saw it elsewhere, got really excited, then my hopes were crushed :P But Everyone said the Domelaze would never be released and eventually it was, this Command Dreadnought is the only ship from the series left to be modelled. I'm hopeful :)

• Like 1

the website the link goes to indicates it's being release in March this year, so one would assume (and yeah - we all know what they say about assumption) that it will be.

I have every extremity crossed in the hope I have read it right :)

• Like 1

Well, I feel like a right tit. I went back to the originating source of this info and they confirmed it was a scratch build - just like you said. I am so gutted and embarrassed right now. Never mind, I'll get over it, but damn, that guy is good to build such a magnificent build!!

I wouldn't mind half his talent ;)

Speaking of scratch building, I'm waiting with baited breath for my book to arrive from Japan. I'm hoping it has close up drawings of the Domelaze surface which would justify the surface detail I intend to add to mine when I start it next month

On a separate note, reckon this thread should be moved to the scifi chat section as it's not really a WIP thread. Just a thought...

Yeah, I was going to use it as a WIP for my Domelaze but I got impatient and did the whole thing in one go :P Which I suppose is a tribute to its ease of construction!

It's more of a general resource and conversation topic now, you are right.

I do still hold out hope for a 1/1000 flagship, its just too awesome of a design to let sit in a corner. And a couple more 1/72 aircraft please :)

Here's a few detail shots, from what I can tell most of those hatches and panel lines aren't on the kit itself, so plenty of justification to detail the big girl up and make it more screen accurate :)

fngsvs.png

imukjk.png

2ai57r9.png

dylhll.png

xczrl.png

10wim2g.png

jgjwy1.png

• Like 1

Quite right sir, one and the same :) Seems all these Gamilas ships have landing gear which is quite novel, not entirely sure where the gear is on the Dreadnought but it looks pretty hefty :)

Quite a small ladder really, I wonder if it has bigger doors and ramps elsewhere for cargo...

On a related note, bit of a video showing the lack difference in surface detail. Still an awesome ship though :)

Edited by Misrule

Awesome - thanks Jim!

I've watched all of those videos now and I am a bit worried about adding to much surface detail. If I want to go for screen accuracy, I'll have to by pass almost all the surface detailing I have in mind for it because as you've pointed out and as shown on the screen - there is not a lot of detail to be had. It just looks so plain though.

If I choose the route of 'something more interesting to look at' and add stuff you don't see, then I'll have to use that super thin plastic strip so that most of it would be hidden under paint and not be too pronounced which would sort of make it a waste of time really.

Tough call to make - screen accuracy or something more interesting to look at? I shall ponder it more.... at least until my book arrives :)

oh yeah, that reminds me, are you going to join in the Sci-Fi group build Jim? I reckon you should!

I am in favour of the group build, but it will depend on what I can get in time :D about 99% of HLJ is out of stock so I'll have to see if I can get something on hand. Either a battlecarrier in splinter camo or maybe something a bit more ambitious. Hard choice :)

For the Domelaze, it is a lot of plastic :P On the show most ships gain and lose detail depending on the scene, Yamato herself for instance has a lot of hull markings that you almost never see but are supposed to be very prominent. As you say I think it boils down to what you think works, I tend to just build them as they appear with minimal extras, but then again I'm impatient :P

I thought the added detail on the other ships improved them, and as far as I know it would make your build unique.

Ultimately either choice can be justified, certainly in the spirit of the design :)

http://matever.com/archives/ct01complete/post_7.html#more

Well in terms of detailing, I've found a Domelaze from the same modeller who did the Balgray in splinter camo that I posted a while ago.

Albeit the blue version. But we can go on the assumption that all 3 of the Zoelguut battleships have the same specs. However, this might give a bit of freedom as it's possible each ship had been modified in some way or another since they first entered service. Just a thought I had.

Hopefully I'll manage to get a hold of a Domelaze some time this year. If not, the battle carrier is looking very tempting, it'd be nice to see the differences between this new one and my original version.

On a separate note, I'm in need of inspiration for paint schemes which could work on Garmillas ships. I've got a few in the Balun green and dark green/brown camo, and the splinter camo is an option, but do you guys have any ideas?

• Like 2

Have a go at this one :D

bateau-furtif-dazzle-painting-wold-war-g

or perhaps more realistically...

Sil%20CV9%203As.jpg

The Gamilas ships seem to use a German style camo which makes sense given their theme, but I think American style camo would work well on a spacecraft, especially in the Yamato universe where most fights happen at visual range.

plenty of examples here

http://usndazzle.com/1Web/Index.html

• Like 1

http://matever.com/archives/ct01complete/post_7.html#more

Well in terms of detailing, I've found a Domelaze from the same modeller who did the Balgray in splinter camo that I posted a while ago.

Albeit the blue version. But we can go on the assumption that all 3 of the Zoelguut battleships have the same specs. However, this might give a bit of freedom as it's possible each ship had been modified in some way or another since they first entered service. Just a thought I had.

Hopefully I'll manage to get a hold of a Domelaze some time this year. If not, the battle carrier is looking very tempting, it'd be nice to see the differences between this new one and my original version.

On a separate note, I'm in need of inspiration for paint schemes which could work on Garmillas ships. I've got a few in the Balun green and dark green/brown camo, and the splinter camo is an option, but do you guys have any ideas?

Thanks for that link. I had a good look through his WIP and noted he has done what I pretty much had in mind, so I don't feel so torn about adding detail to the surface. I think I'll do some extra scribing too.

As for paint schemes, you could just use something like the Tirpitz or Bismark as reference seeing as, like misrule pointed out, the Garmillas seem to have used very similar schemes. On what ship were you going to splinter?

• Like 1

Wow, that's certainly a fantastic site there Misrule, I never really though dazzle schemes would be doable in space, but some of the patterns there look quite good, although I'll need to transfer it to greens perhaps, all black and white/grey is what I'll be avoiding! Still, very helpful, thank you.

I thought about the Bismarck style chevron, it doesn't actually seem too different from the Goergametsch battleship I did with the white stripe down the side. I think if I did that type of scheme it'd have to be with a battleship, so either the Gaiderol, Haizerad or maybe a Domelaze if I abandon my plans with a red dreadnought. It'd be nice if Bandai would release box sets of the smaller ships, like 4 or 5 of the little destroyers in a box so I don't have to go and get 2 extra ship set 2's just for the destroyers. Then again, two more Gaiderol battleships wouldn't be such a bad thing, but the point still remains.

As you two have pointed out the German scheme, I might take a look at some German tank schemes and perhaps try a combination pattern. We shall see. But, I think I have my inspiration set in a clear path now, thanks guys!

And I look forward to seeing how you get on with your build Madhatter, I might have to steal a few ideas from the finished masterpiece for my own build if it even ever happens. We shall see...

Best of luck :) Most of the dazzle schemes work out very easy once you spot the trick in the pattern, though in this scale it's going to be a pain in masking tape :P

I'm going to test it on some of the old Earth ships, only a few quid each so no big issue if it goes wrong :)

Just came across this article - something else for Hollywood to screw up: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-09-07/newspaper-space-battleship-yamato-gets-hollywood-film/.78505

I just hope they do a decent job of it - but I just can't imagine who the cast could be. So long as Tom Cruise isn't anywhere near it, it might be OK :D

and also - so long is this isn't Yuki: 92534.JPG

I'll cry if it is

Edited by Madhatter
  • Like 1

I'm sure they'll get Michael bay to direct it, lots of slow motion fireballs and needlessly sweaty people :P

That carrier looks cracking though, I was divided on whether to pick one up but I think that's made my mind up :)

Also available, a commerative coin :D

https://iei.jp/9274/

Which is apparently a legit legal tender coin with our very own Queen on the opposite side :) I'm sure the Queen has appeared on some awesome designs in the past but I think this is the first time she's had a space battleship all guns blazing :D

Edited by Misrule

this build is making me want to buy the new enemy carrier: http://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://matever.com/archives/ct02making/2199_iii_110003.html&prev=search

I'm really warming to this fella's build style

The painting and panel lining on his ships really give them the look they have in the show, I wish I had half his talent.

I've slowly come to realise that there's nothing better than painting, applying masking tape, painting again and then peeling away the tape to reveal a smooth, crisp, clean marking/camo pattern beneath. But as you said Misrule, I'll need to watch my usage, or at least buy a warehouse full of tape just in case.

And that coin looks fantastic too, would go nicely in the collection with the WW1 commemorative coin I recently bought.

I've just spent the last couple of hours really going through the art work in this book and I just say, I've learnt a few things about the ships I didn't know about. Like, did you know that the Balgray and her sisters have landing gear? I had always just assumed that if they had to land , it would be on a specific landing platform / clutch mechanism on the home world, but no, they have these multi wheeled struts with about 20 wheels per strut, whereas the Domelaze has these pads that separate outwardly like you would expect space craft to have if they had any. Kind of like the Nostromo but on a much, much bigger scale.

There are complex drawings of the bridges of almost all classes of ships which are trippy to say the least. Very organic looking.

The one thing I have noted is the distinct lack of close up surface detail. There isn't much present which is a lot like the show. Shame though, as I was hoping for something a little more but it is not a complaint.

It's also all in Japanese (as expected) so I may just have to scan in what pages I want translated and go from there.

There's a few pages there on the other race of enemy ships too - you know, the newest carrier models to come out from Bandai.

There's a lot of pages on the characters too but again, I had absolutley no idea still who they are let alone names because i can't read Japanese.

Well worth the effort getting the book. It got here super fast too!