Space Battleship Yamato General Thread

Misrule

Yeah those lights are far too bright and unnecessary, most of those clear parts should be opaque anyway, it offends the purist in me :P I'm sure Mad Monk could come up with something far more subtle and attractive :)

The base Andromeda hull does seem to have been used for conversions, one of the ships in the series was called Arizona and was essentially an American built Yamato. Sort of a kitbash of Andromeda and Yamato parts.

GK602.JPG

GK605.JPG

Seems like in addition to the mass produced standard ships each nation also built their own customised flagship, Yamato naturally, this Arizona, there was also a Bismark and Prince of Wales if I recall. So there is definitely some precedent for kitbashing an Andromeda into something more classic battleship like :)

Edited by Misrule
  • Like 4

I finally saw some 2199 :):) A friend leant me his Malaysian DVD of "Odyssey of the Celestial Ark" which was really cool. Weird and all, but cool.

I think it must be a link between the two series, or at the start of series 2? It involves the Terrans and Gamilas teaming up against insane Gatlanteans with a very cool mega-gun battleship thing, and a mysterious planet of space witches.

The space combat was great and I've now seen the uniforms and craft I've painted in teeny tiny scale. Need to get that Falcon done now.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

It's a prequel of sorts for season 2 that takes place toward the end of season 1.  I thought it had a weird almost Dr Who vibe to it. I enjoyed it. 

But 2199 is the bees knees. IMHO it's the new gold standard for soft reboots. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'll start by saying that I know essentially nothing about the whole Yamato saga, let alone anything about the ships.  I have a Y-wing project close to the finish line and I have been thinking about more Sci Fi.  I've read through this thread and gotten interested in the new Andromeda kit that seems to be just hitting the market.  First, I want to know what size the new 1/1000 Andromeda will be when finished? I've been looking around on-line and found differing sizes for the box, but little hint of the model itself.  Second, there also appears to be a 1/700 kit already out; how big is it and is there lighting in it or available elsewhere?  Third, would it be simple for a relatively new-to-lighting modeler to successfully disconnect the new model's sound mechanism?  Enlightenment I seek from the learned councils!

Thanks, Jim

Greetings :)

I can tell you the Andromeda is 444mm long once built, a decent sized ship and pretty bulky, I can't tell you much about the light and sound unit as the instructions make it seem to be an integrated unit, I don't have the kit itself yet (Holding out for the blue sister ship Aldebaran due August) so can't offer any details.

The 1/700 is an older kit from the late 70s, much cheaper but also far less detail and simpler. It's pretty big but smaller than the new high end kit. The old kit doesn't have its own light system included (Except for some very rare early versions) but has clear parts so easy enough to set up if you want.

The 1/700 is decent enough for a test run and builds a decent ship, its so cheap you could have a fleet of them for a price of the 1/1000, but the newer kit is just a leap in quality and detail. Unfortunately it is also very expensive and a big box so shipping will be pricey and you will very likely take a customs hit, they like getting the big boxes in my experience.

For the 1/1000 you have two choices, either Andromeda herself of her sister Aldebaran. Same kit just a different colour.

olZPMB0.jpg

Andromeda is out now and the blue one in August :)

Also this ship is out at the end of this month

IafjoYf.jpg

That is the regular Battleship of the Earth fleet, smaller and cheaper than the Super Battleships of the Andromeda class 

some shots in the newest trailer for the eps due out later this month :)

Hi Mis,

And there I was, thinking that the new kit in 1/1000 would naturally be a bit smaller than the older 1/700 kit; who knew?  In any event, thank you so much for your reply; it answered all my questions and then some and I am most appreciative!

Cheers, Jim

• Like 1

An image of the decal sheet for the upcoming D-Class battleship kit has been released showing the names of the fleet

DC08GyYUIAAVDAc.jpg

Almost all of them British names or from RN ships, quite curious. I would have expected a Detroit or Dortmund maybe to show the international flavour.

So add to that you also have the A-Class battleships Andromeda, Aldebaran, Apollonorm, Achilles and Antares and that's the full new build fleet.

I had no idea the season was about to start. Outstanding!  Now what do I do? I'm watching Gundam Origins and Thunderbolt as soon as they release and the wait is killing me! I'm also waiting on Attack on Titan sesson 2 so I can watch it dubbed. Or do I  wait until it's all completed and watch it all in one sitting like I did with One Punch Man and Gate?  Decsions, decisions! 

Edit: I see that two episodes are already out.  Has anyone here seen them?

Yeah, they are a good start, bit of fighting, bit of setting up what has happened in the years between series and showing how the old crew are a bit upset that a lot of the promises they made are being broken by a new hawkish Earth government.

The episodes are being released like Thunderbolt and Origin so quite a wait between the batches, though they should be arriving in batches of 4 now instead of 2 :) 

Worth a look I'd say, but very early days yet and it'll be a while before we get to the really good stuff (All out war between Earth and Gatlantis) But to watch it all in one go we're probably talking next year easy, this is a full 26 episode run rather than the 12 a lot of shows get and its a long wait between them sadly

Also I feel your pain :P The next Origin looks like it's going to be massive with the Colony Drop mission, and Thunderbolt is a strong show with an interesting cast. Oh, and if you've managed to avoid spoilers this series of Titan is amazing.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2017 at 2:50 PM, Misrule said:

Oh, and if you've managed to avoid spoilers this series of Titan is amazing.

I'm up to episode 9. Wow! Just wow. That big reveal was unexpected!  My wife yelled, "what did he say? REWIND!" They just dropped a huge plot point like it was nothing! Then Eren started using Annie's fighting pose, with her signature take down! That escalated quickly! Utterly fantastic show!  I'm really hoping they show the outcome of that Mikasa and Annie fight during training.  :boxing::Tasty:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Richard Baker said:

Is there anyplace out there where I can stream this?

Kissanime has them. If you're not bothered by unlicensed streams. I'm sure CrunchyRoll or Anime Strike will get it soon.

Edited by Thud4444
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I would like some information about a Yamato kit I was given a few years ago.

It's a Bandai space Battleship mechanic file dated 2005. It's the 2199 ship. Scale unknown.

Multiple parts and layers form the ship and it rests on a black frame.

To me it looks like a part work of eight parts most of it in Japanese.

I know it came from Japan, so is it rare over here? 

I'll never build it but would like to know it's worth before I sell it on.

Thanks

Pete

19 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I would like some information about a Yamato kit I was given a few years ago.

It's a Bandai space Battleship mechanic file dated 2005. It's the 2199 ship. Scale unknown.

Multiple parts and layers form the ship and it rests on a black frame.

To me it looks like a part work of eight parts most of it in Japanese.

I know it came from Japan, so is it rare over here? 

I'll never build it but would like to know it's worth before I sell it on.

Thanks

Pete

First time I've ever heard of this kit. Some info on 1999.co.jp: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10045437 I guess from the size (37 cm long) it should be 1/700 scale.

Many thanks for that. Not that valuable then, and probably only of use to a very few die hard fans I imagine.

Ah well. So long as it goes to a good home. It's doing nothing at the moment sitting in a shoebox.

54 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Many thanks for that. Not that valuable then, and probably only of use to a very few die hard fans I imagine.

Ah well. So long as it goes to a good home. It's doing nothing at the moment sitting in a shoebox.

I agree. I'm a big fan of the original run (seen long time ago in my infancy) and I have appreciated the new series, but I have at least 15 related kits to be built in my stash so I guess I'm fine for the next 10 years or so!😉

Edited by BackToZeon
  • Like 1

been a while since the thread updated, honestly not a huge amount to add 😛

The last series which remade the first series of Yamato had a veritable sea of ships following it, they recreated all but one vessel in 1/1000 scale and to an excellent standard. But with this current series releases have been far slower and there have been more variants than clear new releases. There has only been three completely new kits, plus two major variants in 1/1000. Been a reasonable selection of palm sized mecha kits but even then not tremendous.

Bit of a shame really has there has been some decent ship to ship action with more on the way. Also apparently there won't be any aircraft kits due to poor sales.

On a positive note a basic Andromeda without the expensive light and sound option is due next year, and a twin set of the Dreadnought class again presumably eliminating the light option for budget fleet building. These are good kits but more variety would be nice.

SHow itself is decent enough, but it has strong competition from Gundam Origin and Legend of Galactic Heroes for space opera