Stripy Typhoon

Okay... the title is a bit of a swiz - many aircraft in this thread will be stripy. :lol:

This is the Airfix 1/72 Typhoon. I will be building it as MN630 PR-B of 609 Sqn based at RAF Thorney Island. There is a photograph of this aircraft on page 58 of Osprey's Typhoon Wings of 2nd TAF 1943-45 by Chris Thomas. There is also a colour plate of it in the book.

The aircraft flew its first ever operational sortie on D-Day. Flown by Flt Lt E.R.A Roberts, it was used in a strike against a radar station at Le Havre. I will be depicting it just prior to it being armed for that mission.

Although I appear to have started late, I actually started at the beginning of the groupbuild. It has just progressed slowly.

Here are the sprues:

Typhoon-001.jpg

Typhoon-002.jpg

It won't be quite OOB as I will be using a harness from the new Eduard fabric seatbelts set.

Here is the fuselage and wings ready for assembly. As you can see, the gun bays will be depicted open.

Typhoon-004.jpg

Disruptive camouflage sprayed on. All paints so far are Xtracrylix, XA10o1 Dark Green and XA1003 Medium Sea Grey.

Typhoon-011.jpg

Typhoon-012.jpg

Stripy bits in progress. The Sky band is Xtracrylix XA1007. The black and white stripes and yellow leading edges involved some careful masking and some very thin coats of colour from rattle cans bought from my local car shop. The yellow is Ford Jasmine. The thin coats were essential to stop the paint creeping under the masking, which happens quite readily if you actually allow the surface to get wet.

Typhoon-013.jpg

Typhoon-014.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice. I'm actually building one of these myself at the moment - not for the GB as the decals are outside the time frame. I was sailing along quite nicely until I came to an abrupt halt last night when I realised I don't have any Ocean Grey paint. :wall: So it's on hold until the weekend when I can get to Wonderland.

To make sure the muse doesn't desert me meantime, I'll have to work on something else. Might make a start on the C-47...

(Later) :yahoo: I've found an old tin of Ocean Grey enamel. I haven't opened it yet but it does make a splashing sound when I shake it so it isn't a dried-up solid lump. The C-47 will have to remain in the stash a while longer...

• Like 2

Looking good Enzo. I finished one of these Airfix kits for this GB but did it in-flight. I plan on making one of these at some point and will do it like you - being prepped ready for flight. :goodjob:

• Like 1

Very nice. I'm actually building one of these myself at the moment - not for the GB as the decals are outside the time frame. I was sailing along quite nicely until I came to an abrupt halt last night when I realised I don't have any Ocean Grey paint. :wall: So it's on hold until the weekend when I can get to Wonderland.

To make sure the muse doesn't desert me meantime, I'll have to work on something else. Might make a start on the C-47...

(Later) :yahoo: I've found an old tin of Ocean Grey enamel. I haven't opened it yet but it does make a splashing sound when I shake it so it isn't a dried-up solid lump. The C-47 will have to remain in the stash a while longer...

On my checking though, that aircraft did fly within the time frame. Because I ended up buying one (well two actually, the perils of one click ordering on Amazon) and thought the same. But there's pictures of that 247 Sqn aircraft with full stripes operating on D-Day. I found them in a book called The RAF on D-Day which I bought for the project and is available from Smiths for £7-8.

So ultimately I could have just painted the stripes and all would have been dandy.

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread Enzo :(

• Like 1

As you were...it's not Ocean Grey, it's bleedin' Army Green. Yes, I know they don't look anything like each other but one is Humbrol 106 and the other is 102 and I'd remembered the number wrongly when I was looking through the vintage paint stash, which was in a cupboard with a dim light...Once I saw it in daylight I realised something was wrong. So my Typhoon build is still stalled (as Enzo's appears to be; he hasn't posted for more than a fortnight! :tease: )

• Like 1

So my Typhoon build is still stalled (as Enzo's appears to be; he hasn't posted for more than a fortnight! :tease: )

nodnodnod 'cept it snot stalled! All I have to do it put a coat of matt varnish on the canopy frame and then glue it on. 'course I'll probably get a big thumbprint on it when I do. :lol:

• Like 1

nodnodnod 'cept it snot stalled! All I have to do it put a coat of matt varnish on the canopy frame and then glue it on. 'course I'll probably get a big thumbprint on it when I do. :lol:

Whose?