Trumpeter 1/48 C47B

Gday All

Completed this one for the recent Korean War GB that finished up last month, somewhat embarrassingly, my first completion for the year after a few false starts

The kit used was the Trumpeter 1/48 C-47A, which, as far as I can tell, makes up onto a C-47B from the box, due to having the longer carb intakes

I found it a very enjoyable build with good fit and excellent detail

It is let down in the accuracy dept. by wrongly shaped cowls,metal rudder and a sit that sees it sitting too low to the ground, the cowls and rudder are fixed with Quickboost replacements, whilst I added spacers to the landing gear struts to give the model the correct nose up attitude as seen in photos of RAAF Daks

The finish is airbrushed Xtraclour Aluminium as the RAAF's Daks were painted silver.

All markings were painted on using masks prepared by Miracle Masks. If you have not used masks before I can highly recommend them. This was the first time I had used them, and had no problems, thanks in no small part To Mal Mayfield's thorough step by step instructions.

The model represents A65-121 which saw service with 77 SQN supporting their Mustangs by flying ordnance and personnel from Japan during the war.

A big thanks to Ryan and Peter from the Aussie Modeller forum who helped with photos of the actual machine

stbfrontqtr31of1_zpsb93a152a.jpg

door21of1_zpsfdc19c26.jpg

portfrontqtr1of1_zpscd938d5c.jpg

dakota11of1_zps9e1c1e35.jpg

dakota21of1_zps3791672e.jpg

Thanks for looking

Bruce

• Like 15

Bruce,

Very well done.. I must admit, I'd only thought about this build a short while back and was hoping that it didn't end up on that dreaded SOD.

Glad to see its completed and a splendid finish at that..

Cheers .. Dave,.

• Like 1

G'day to you too Bruce - what a superb looking model and diorama you have produced here - I like the ladder and door pose too - well done with a great looking end result. Working in metallic colours has never been my strongpoint and your work looks very smart

• Like 1

Nice one Bruce,

What a great Dak! Didn`t 77 Sqn use this Dak and a passing RAF Dak to carry rockets for the Mustangs from Japan to Korea at the start of the war so that they could fly more sorties by reloading on Korean airfields, rather than flying from Japan each time? It looks great with its 77 Sqn titles on the roof,

Great Stuff, Cheers

Tony

Edit- Doh,....I`ve just read your full text!

Edited by tonyot

Thanks for all the kind comments. Yes, you are correct Tony

Snitok, a valid question, to be honest I was not quite sure how to weather the finish. You are correct, it was an operational machine and would have shown signs of wear

I have yet to work out a way of realistically portraying a worn silver finish.

Breaker, I really enjoyed the kit, go one , get yourself one, you know you want to!!

Bruce

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

That's really really nice !.

Now I'm no expert on C-47s, Daks or whatever, but you've built a pretty darn good looking one to my eye, even though it's a Trumpeter ! I think you persuaded me to go down that track for a Kiwi one !

Cheers

Gaz

• 1 month later...