1 72 Hasegawa F4-J Phantom II - Finished! (Page 22)

giemme

Hi Stix; I like to replace pins (when possible) also because it makes easier to handle those parts for painting.

Good to see you're up with a new project; sometimes I wonder if you ever sleep ... :hypnotised:

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi Stix; I like to replace pins (when possible) also because it makes easier to handle those parts for painting.

Good to see you're up with a new project; sometimes I wonder if you ever sleep ... :hypnotised:

Ciao

Hi giemme - sounds like a good idea.

With regards my projects - I had to really scrape bits of time all over the place to finish my D-Day builds in time - I don't normally get much other than early mornings at weekends and perhaps the odd ten minutes in an evening.

You seem to be finding time for more building at the moment and I am envious! :D

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

You seem to be finding time for more building at the moment and I am envious! :D

LOL! For me it's normally late in the evenings (not every evening!) and Sunday afternoons.

Ciao

• Like 1

Here we go, tail chute bay:

coda3_zps324c45cd.jpg

Then it was time for the red profiles on wheel bay doors. I did a test on one piece, masking and airbrushing:

carrelli8_zps549a3d12.jpg

carrelli9_zps235dd86b.jpg

No good; actually the paint was a little too thin, so I might try again on less complicated - masking-wise - surfaces.

Fixed using brushes

carrelli10_zps168232d6.jpg

That's it for now

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 3

HI Stix, here's today update ... LOL! Well, I was too tired the other night, plus I'd been watching Italy's Volleyball game - World Championships - on TV, so I got back to modeling only last night.

Here we go: ended up painting the red with a brush

carrelli11_zps69361ed1.jpg

Then some silver (after a gloss black base)

carrelli12_zps0dc274dc.jpg

carrelli13_zpsaea4a0cd.jpg

And then some weathering, again on a single piece to test it; thinking of doing a bit more with a slight hint of rust here and there

carrelli14_zps322960ac.jpg

Ciao

• Like 2

Ah.... all is well with the world - a morning update!! Excellent. The red painted by hand looks good - probably quicker than masking all those off anyway! (Hairy sticks rule!) The silver over black looks good too.

Kind regards,

Stix

The red painted by hand looks good - probably quicker than masking all those off anyway! (Hairy sticks rule!)

LOL! You bet it's quicker; don't forget I'm a brush painter too - when it comes to figures :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 1

WE update; been working on wheels:

carrelli15_zpsa7cb72d5.jpg

carrelli16_zps3043983b.jpg

Painted with a mix of Lifecolor Flat Black and Flat Brown, then gloss coated with future, gray drybrush and a dark gray wash on the white parts.

More done on the exhaust nozzles as well: some silver highlights

scarichi15_zpsd537d697.jpg

and a dark wash inside

scarichi16_zps2c8adcd9.jpg

Then it was time for cockpit dryfitting:

dryfit12_zps7fc53b2a.jpg

and inside the fuselage

dryfit13_zps7cf7c631.jpg

More dryfitting: I'm trying to determine the correct sequence here, that is if I should glue the wings to the back fuselage before gluing the front fuselage or viceversa. So far I haven't made up my mind:

dryfit14_zps00a51e75.jpg

dryfit16_zps4de843df.jpg

Checked the fit of few other bits as well

dryfit15_zpsa92f6867.jpg

Next would be some PE on the front fuselage

Ciao

• Like 1

Got to agree with Cookenbacher; the wheels and exhausts look very good. Doesn't seem like a snails pace from where I'm sitting - my stuff usually is at about the same rate - I only push myself for something like the group builds - otherwise I like just pootling away at my own pace.

• Like 1

Thanks Stix; I'm not complaining, by the way, it was more of sharing a thought about working in 1/72.

Last night, for instance, all I was able to do in about 1 and a half hour is this:

cockpit1_zps8178222a.jpg

cockpit2_zps3c5d2dd6.jpg

PE bits, of course, are small and flimsy, plus the instructions that go along with this Eduard set aren't that clear, so you need time to get it done properly.

As I said, I'm not complaining (after all, it's a hobby and I'm totally enjoying it), but I look forward to starting some paint work (got a few ideas running that I want to try on this model)

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 3

Didn't think you were complaining - just observing....... I wish I had more guaranteed time - I tend to get up at about 5.00am at weekends just to make sure I get some time before the rest of life kicks in!! And I still enjoy the hobby! :banghead:

Those PE parts do look small and fiddly but you seem to have attached them neatly - I seem to get traces of CA glue around any I apply! :weep:

Keep up the good work!

Kind regards,

Stix

Hey Stix, look closer, I do have CA traces on my PE parts too, you're not alone there :winkgrin: Actually, the part on the right in my last pic was glued with PVA and secured with two tiny little drops of CA in the corners. I think it shows, compared to the left side one.

5.00 am at weekends? That's what I call sheer passion, mate :banghead:

GM

• Like 1

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a slower pace, especially if it ends in results like yours. I should really try slowing down a bit! My problem is that I'm so anxious to see what the airplanes look like complete that I get impatient and rush. I found myself planning out all of my 2015 builds last night when I already have way too many on the bench already.

• Like 2

Hello everybody; managed to get something done during the weekend, plus I went to see a national model contest nearby, about half an hour from home.

I met Phantom61 there and saw some gorgeous models, I'll post a few pics of it later on this thread, if you don't mind.

Back to the Phantom: more dryfitting on the cockpit, plus a coat ot Vallejo's primer

dryfit17_zps725c7359.jpg

cockpit4_zpsd71011a6.jpg

Then weathering on the wheel bay doors, wheel struts and so on:

carrelli20_zps968e20a2.jpg

carrelli17_zpsf11829d6.jpg

carrelli18_zps01620e4a.jpg

carrelli19_zpsd58fcd1d.jpg

Then I started working on the stabilators: part of the masking process

stabilators1_zpscf3de6f0.jpg

Sky blue and flat black sprayed, as base coat for metalizer

stabilators2_zpsf80d4582.jpg

Here's how they turned out:

stabilators3_zps082c6696.jpg

stabilators4_zps15a61676.jpg

That's it for now

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2

Excellent progress Giemme. This PE parts in the cockpit look good under primer. The weathering looks good on the wheelbay doors and struts looks good too. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Good morning everybody; going through the pics of the real AC, I noticed that on the kit stabilators there's a arrow shaped reinforcement plate that I couldn't spot on those pics:

stabilators_supporto_a_freccia_zpsfcc91c

So, after some search and asking Phantom61 advice, it turns out that this wasn't fitted on F4-Js at all, and had to remove it :banghead::angry:

Here's the result, after using a scalpel blade, sanding and some rescribing (only the part on the right)

stabilators5_zpsd39c6c6d.jpg

Continuing with the rescribing task, I went on with restoring some details on the back part of the fuselage:

fusoliera_dietro8_zpsc70f7de6.jpg

fusoliera_dietro9_zps928f6f1a.jpg

The "tool" I used for this is a strip of thick plastic coming from a sort of breakfast table cloth, in which I made a hole using a drill pin (again, credit goes to Phantom61 for this)

I've also rescribed some of the rivets on this part:

fusoliera_dietro10_zps9be1ff97.jpg

Ciao

• Like 2

Thanks guys :thumbsup2:

@Stix: I haven't actually totally rescribed the rivets, they were already there but kind of too shallow, so I just made them deeper using a pointy brass stick.

I have never tried adding a brand new line of rivets myself (except for very short spans), nor I have the tools for that. The panel lines close to the round access doors, on the other way, were completely lost while sanding and tidying up, so there I used labeling tape as a guide and a "hook-shaped" blade to scribe them

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2

Here we go again, little by little, still waiting for the bl***y PE pre-colored set to come ...

Anyway: I glued the inside of the front wheel bay to the lower front fuselage, using Gene's idea of the trimmed sewing needle. Pretty neat:

fusoliera_avanti_zpsfc9bb87a.jpg

(while posting this, I noticed there are three extractor marks in the wheel bay :banghead::badmood: ... removing them is going to be fun ... )

On with metalizer steel coat on the stabilators:

stabilators6_zpsceab7de2.jpg

stabilators7_zps8852fb05.jpg

Next would a WE update

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2