1 72 Hasegawa F4-J Phantom II - Finished! (Page 22)

giemme

Keep up the good work Giemme - I love this Phantom of yours.

And thanks for taking the time to post the your tips Gene. This build will definitely be bookmarked by many.

Thanks Cooken - and I'm learning a lot myself from this thread, so I'm glad I started it :winkgrin: Now I'm becoming a little impatient, because I'm in sight of the end but still have a lot of things to do ... :banghead:

Ciao

• Like 1

And thanks for taking the time to post the your tips Gene.

Thanks - glad to share some, but I'm sure others have their own/better methods (which I'd love to see). I'm looking forward to Giorgio's next 1/72 Phantom!!

Gene K

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to Giorgio's next 1/72 Phantom!!

I hope I won't disappoint you!

Some progress from last couple of days, nothing exciting, still it's an update.

Starboard side stenciling completed:

decals23PB_zpsb8781f31.jpg

Then I glued in the air intakes "things" (sorry, don't know the name for those in English):

decals24PB_zps90f3a8fa.jpg

decals25PB_zps7ddfa794.jpg

I worked a bit on TERs, kindly provided by Cookenbacher; they're from an F16 kit, so they need a bit of surgery to look like this:

TER_f-4j_0001_zpsa6595690.jpg

Here's what I've done on one, compared to the original

TERs1PB_zps69deb315.jpg

Some more work needed; and then, I hope I'll be able to do the same on the other one :banghead:

Ciao

• Like 3

...the air intakes "things" (sorry, don't know the name for those in English):

Yes, they are splitter plates as Procopius said, and in that regard, here's a link to a cutaway that may help with Phantom part terminology. (Your English is better than mine):

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7662/douglasf4ficeeb.jpg

(In short, the splitters channel non-boundary layer air to the Vari Ramps (part #46 on the above diagram)which move in and out when supersonic to place the shock wave on the intake lip, thereby ensuring subsonic air behind the shock wave enters the intakes).

I worked a bit on TERs ... they're from an F16 kit ... so they need a bit of surgery

Gadzooks ... goodness gracious, great Giorgio - you really like challenges!! They are certainly looking good, but PLEASE DO NOT start on your next Phantom until I assemble and send you my 1/72 Hasegawa Phantom CARE package - it will include MERs and TERs that you may want to use!!!!

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 3

Yes, they are splitter plates as Procopius said, and in that regard, here's a link to a cutaway that may help with Phantom part terminology. (Your English is better than mine):

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7662/douglasf4ficeeb.jpg

(In short, the splitters channel non-boundary layer air to the Vari Ramps (part #46 on the above diagram)which move in and out when supersonic to place the shock wave on the intake lip, thereby ensuring subsonic air behind the shock wave enters the intakes).

Great info and link, thanks! :speak_cool: Explanation is very clear too!

Gadzooks ... goodness gracious, great Giorgio - you really like challenges!! They are certainly looking good, but PLEASE DO NOT start on your next Phantom until I assemble and send you my 1/72 Hasegawa Phantom CARE package - it will include MERs and TERs that you may want to use!!!!

LOL! Ok Gene, I won't, I'll wait for your CARE PACKAGE (I'll probably sneak in a propeller thingy in between Phantoms, if I ever get to finish this one ... :banghead: )

Ciao

Edited by giemme

Hi giemme. Good to see yet more progress. Won't be long now until it's finished! Your modification of the TERs (??!!) looks very good to me - you seem to have captured the shape well. I hope the other one turns out as good.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

HI everybody; busy WE, not much time for modelling. Here's a very small update: stenciling completed on one wing (endless ...)

decals26_zps8ce48a98.jpg

and started on the other one:

decals27_zpsa37470d4.jpg

I've also re-shaped the second TER, turned out pretty similar to the first:

TERs3PB_zpsda0d36dd.jpg

That's it. I'll hopefully complete the stenciling by tonight, then I'll have to spray a protective coat, touch up the fuselage arrow, re-spray Future and eventually do the weathering (with bombs, missiles and pylons painting in the middle)!

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2

Yep that's definitely a lot of stencils! Wow. I will never complain about the amount on a Spitfire again! Looking good though!

Thanks Stix. They sure are many, I wonder if in 1/72 it makes sense ... will see at the end how it turns out.

Ciao

• Like 1

Nice work Giemme -sorry I sent the wrong TERs!

The stenciling looks great, but you must be sick of it.

Hey Cooken, no problem with TERs :thumbsup2: "Converting" them wasn't that big of a deal. Stenciling, on the other hand, really made me almost sick! But it's nearly finished ...

Ciao

• Like 1

HI everybody; I know you're probably all bored to death with these small updates, but I have to share this: stenciling COMPLETED! :yahoo::frantic:

decals28_zps9d2debd0.jpg

decals29_zpsf44767c4.jpg

Off to the next steps now. As Bruce (Winenut) says: chocks away!

Ciao

• Like 7

Congratulations Giemme, you have joined the 0.0001% of modellers who have placed the full set of stencils on their 1/72 Phantom. An elite group indeed!

I got very close once, with an Airdoc stencil set for the F-4F, but they cleverly made clusters of stencils into a single decal, and I still eventually became fatigued.

• Like 1

Thanks Simon and Cooken, happy to be in the elite! ( or should I be worried? :frantic: )

On a serious note: Procopius, stencil clusters sound like a good idea, but I'd be scared at the amount of transparent decal film that goes together with them ...

Ciao

On a serious note: Procopius, stencil clusters sound like a good idea, but I'd be scared at the amount of transparent decal film that goes together with them ...

That proved to be the major issue with the decals when I used them, the carrier film was thick enough that it was noticeable.

• Like 1

why the hack do they have to put the whole maintenance instructions manual on the airplane, instead of printing it? ;) Don't step here, don't push that, caution here, remove before flight on engine intakes (really?)...

Nice work so far, well done!

Alex

• Like 2