Renault Estafette 800 kg high roof

Bengalensis

There has been some progress over the last few days. The body got the second coat of primer surfacer and was sanded back. Today the white base coat was finally sprayed. Next I will mix up a colour for the roof and spray that then start masking for the orange sections. I will probably have to draw some of the decal artwork first though, as that will dictate some of that masking.

I have also painted a lot of the small parts, still more work left there. I'm doing the R4 Fourgonnette at the same time so there are a lot of parts here.

E60.jpg

E61.jpg

E62.jpg

• Like 4

I got the roof painted the other day; here it is with the masking removed. I have since spent time thinking how to mask/paint/decal the rest.

E63.jpg

The chassis details have also received some paint.

E64.jpg

As have the wheels. They will get a little darker wash later on.

E65.jpg

Today I drew up and printed decals. I have made some alternatives depending on how they work and cover the orange. Some parts will also be cut from a plain white sheet.

E66.jpg

• Like 4

I love those wheels Jörgen! And the decals look nicely printed too! But isn't the bottom of that engine rather clean & shouldn't it be more oily? :winkgrin: Or was it just British vehicles of that era that leaked like sieves...??!! :D

Coming along very nicely, looking forward to seing it all dressed up!

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys. No, British vehicles didn't have monopoly on oil leaking, the French managed the art too, at least to some extent. So there will be some dirtying done to the bottom of the engine and chassis, but I'll just do what's necessary to get a descent look when viewed as a curb side model.

Today I masked up for the orange paint. Masking is one of the least enjoyable tasks for me, but at last it was done.

E67.jpg

E68.jpg

This was the result. Or not really. Now when the orange got on, the colours looked quite weird both in the camera and on my screens. This looks much more red and sharp than reality.

E69.jpg

So I fiddled with the camera settings and got the colours below, still not the correct orange and now the roof looks weird. The real orange is something in between, but closer to these. I must try to work up my interest to understand this dark art of photography a bit more...

E70.jpg

E71.jpg

To my surprise the white paint lifted off with the masking in a few spots on the front. That was not what I expected.

E72.jpg

Fortunately the paint I'm using is quite good to touch up, sand and polish, so after the paint could be safely handled I sat down and worked with a fine brush. After a while it looked like this, not perfect but good enough I think.

E73.jpg

• Like 7

That looks great Jörgen - I have to admit I like both of those orange colours, so it wouldn't matter to me which, if either, is right, as I'm sure I'd like the 'real' colour too!! The colour scheme really suits the shape of the van as well!

Cracking job!

Keith

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much about the exact colour Jorgen, if it looks right to you then I'm sure it is, knowing your standards of course. ;)

I sometimes struggle with the settings on my camera as well, it seems one has to be both a modeller and a professional photographer these days. I've looked at all the fancy cameras and equipment out there and realised I could spend the equivalent of a years model budget or more.

Odd.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys. Yes, the photography thing can be difficult, but the largest problem is probably that I don't even learn the basics for the not so advanced camera I'm using...

I have now done most detail painting on the body. What remains before decals is some panel line washing. This might be the photo so far closest to reality in colours. On the screen I use for this posting at least...

E74.jpg

The seats are also finished. I have deliberately tried to make them a bit different as the driver's seat will be much more used.

E75.jpg

When I printed my decals I included some artwork for typical Renault mud flaps for these years, as I need them for other projects coming as well. So the parts for both this and the R4 Fourgonnette got a gloss coat, decals, flat coat and at last some yellow-brownish weathering powder to tie them together and tone down the white. They are slightly more yellowish than the photo shows.

E76.jpg

• Like 5

Many thanks guys. I did some black washing yesterday but not much progress today. The grille area doesn't quite work out as I want. This is how the cars were built; painted body colour also behind the mesh, up to the radiator itself. But in real life there's more shadow behind, so it's a bit less visible. Not sure if painting some medium grey colour might help.

E77.jpg

• Like 5

I think it looks excellent as it is, it looks to be in enough shadow behind the grille. I think that maybe painting it would look just like what it is - a patch of grey paint behind the grille?

I do really like that van though, it's lovely!

keith

• Like 1

Hi,
Your WIP of this vehicle is like that of a real car.
Great work so far. Thanks Reggie for sharing the 67 Citroen weathered. The colour scheme white and light blue appearance is attractive.

Regards,
Rishikesh

Edited by Rishi
  • Like 1

I think it looks excellent as it is, it looks to be in enough shadow behind the grille. I think that maybe painting it would look just like what it is - a patch of grey paint behind the grille?

That's exactly what I afraid of. I'm still undecided; I'll have to look at in some different lighting conditions to see how it turns out.

Instead I turned my attention to the decals. It took a bit of work but was quite rewarding in the end. This is what I ended up with.

E78.jpg

E79.jpg

I also got the license plates done when I worked on the R4 Fourgonnette.

E80.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks a lot guys. I've been working away on this one over the last few days and made good progress.

As this model is very much of my own engineering now, it's not quite clear how it should actually be assembled. I can't fit the steering column until the dash board and chassis is fitted and to fit the dashboard I must first fit the windscreen but there's a lot of other things I have to fit after the steering column that must be done before the chassis is fitted...

E81.jpg

OK, I fitted the windscreen, then the dash board. Then I loosely placed the chassis in the body.

E82.jpg

Working through the door window opening I could slide the steering column in place and add a little glue to its mounting bracket. When this was hard I could carefully lift out the chassis and reinforce the steering column with a little more glue from the underside.

E83.jpg

The seats and other floor parts where soon installed. I also added a weekly magazine lying on the seat.

E84.jpg

E85.jpg

The door windows, steering wheel and other parts were added inside the body. To bring a little more life to the interior I also added a pair of gloves, a piece of paper and a candy bag.

E86.jpg

This is what the interior looks like from the outside.

E87.jpg

The spare wheel has also been fitted on top of the left rear wheel well.

E88.jpg

My scratch built rear lights turned out quite nicely I think, I'm quite happy with them.

E89.jpg

I painted two shades of grey on a piece of paper and cut two pieces to fit behind the grille to see how it would look with some artificial shadow added. It seemed to work so I decided to go for the darker colour and give it a try.

E90.jpg

I used a piece of photo etched radiator core pattern painted dark grey to add some detail behind the grille.

E91.jpg

The chassis was then finally fitted to the body and some touch up painting was done.

E92.jpg

The grille area was painted the chosen grey and then the wheels were glued using 5 min epoxy to give time for alignment.

E93.jpg

This is what can be seen of the chassis detail.

E94.jpg

It's looking much better with a bit of weight added to the tyres.

E95.jpg

The grille and bumper was fitted and I'm much happier with the look using grey for added shadow.

E96.jpg

The last part to go on was the front license plate. I have also started a little weathering here.

E97.jpg

• Like 1