Lightning F.3 29 Sqn from Trumpeter 1/72 F.6

Lightning F.3

29 Sqn RAF Wattisham 1969

Following my 56 Sqn F.1A I have carried on with using up Trumpeter Lightnings before the Sword single seaters are with us. This one started life as an F.6 kit. I couldn’t live with the Trumpeter pregnant belly tank look, so I converted it to an F.3 using a lower fuselage and belly tank from an old Airfix F.1A kit. Wings were also cut back to remove the F.6 outboard camber and Aeroclub resin rear fuselage and exhausts were used. These Trumpeter kits need quite a bit of bending and messing about with wings to give them the right anhedral, etc, and the main undercarriage legs need shortening by about 2.5 mm. Not perfect, but it looks quite F.3 like to me!

29SqnLightningF3XP701004.jpg

29SqnLightningF3XP701003.jpg

29SqnLightningF3XP701001.jpg

Edited by CT Modeller
  • Like 22

Really nice job and a great idea for using up those Trumpeter and old Airfix bits (I'm going to have to steal your idea). The surface detail on the Trumpeter kit is lovely, such a shame they got everything else so wrong.

The only thing that gives away your model's heritage is the humped back canopy (not a criticism of your modelling).

Duncan B

I think the photo makes it look a little short, but congratulations the build and finish is lovely. You nailed it!

I think the photo makes it look a little short, but congratulations the build and finish is lovely. You nailed it!

Thanks to all for the encouraging comments. I agree about the photos - something's gone wrong with the aspect ratio. I used exactly the same process with Photobucket as I always have so I don't understand why they look squashed!

I think the photos are OK now - at least they seem to be on my PC. Just re-posted them from Photobucket

This is wierd - if I open Britmodeller via Internet Explorer the pics are OK - if I use Google Chrome they are distorted! Does anybody have any suggestions as to why and what to do about it please?

Photos have looked fine

Thanks Duncan - I guess the answer is to just use IE! By the way, I am also an Aviation Artist and as a Leuchars man I thought you might like to see one of my recent paintings called 'Lightnings in Black & White'

LightningsinBlackampWhite001.jpg

• Like 8

Chris what a multi-talented guy you are, that's a wonderful painting. I currently have a black finned F1 in the collection and will soon be working on a pair of F3's to get one of each in the collection too.

Thanks for showing us your artwork.

Duncan B

Thanks Duncan - I guess the answer is to just use IE! By the way, I am also an Aviation Artist and as a Leuchars man I thought you might like to see one of my recent paintings called 'Lightnings in Black & White'

LightningsinBlackampWhite001.jpg

Very nice rendition CT.

Is that oils or acrylics?

BB