Fieseler Storch - July 1944

With a couple of weeks to go, I'd better get my skates on!

The history bit

My entry in this Group Build will be the Fieseler Storch (Fi 156).

However, it is not your ordinary Storch, normally used by the Luftwaffe as a reconnaissance plane and artillery spotter, or as a VIP transport for German Generals/Field Marshalls such as Rommel or Kesselring. The one I will be modelling was captured by the British in the Western Desert in 1943, and was then "adopted" as his personal plane by Air Vice Marshal Harry Broadhurst, a former Battle of Britain ace, who was senior air staff officer to the commander of the Desert Air Force. Broadhurst went on from the Desert back to the UK and was involved in the preparations for Operation Overlord, where he was commander of 83 Group.

Broadhurst piloted Winston Churchill over to Normandy six weeks after the D-Day landings for a morale-boosting visit to the troops. They landed at Sainte Croix sur Mer airfield, which was a temporary airfield that had been constructed after the landings by the Royal Engineers. It was known as RAF 'B3 ALG' (Advanced Landing Ground), and was only 3.5 kms from the "Gold" landing beach. In doing so, Churchill was the first wartime leader to visit "liberated" France, well before de Gaulle, and some weeks before Eisenhower himself managed to come ashore.

Luckily, some photographs exist of Churchill's visit, and of Broadhurst's plane, so I could not pass up the chance to build something rather unusual for this group build – a German plane, but one in rather unexpected markings. Here are two photos that I have found on the 'net (reproduced here for educational purposes only, as they say.....)

planephoto.jpg

churchill3larger.jpg

(That's Broadhurst on the right).

The kit

The kit in this case is the rather iconic Tamiya 100th kit in 1/48th, which was issued a couple of years ago and has lain in my stash since then.

Here is the box top lid and underside:-

boxtop.jpg

boxbottom.jpg

There are quite a few sprues in the kit, some of which will not be used (as they have figures of Rommel and a pilot, as well as barrels and other things for a desert diorama. Since I am not going to be in the desert, and will have somebody rather more portly.. for which (AFAIK) no suitable figures in 1/48 exist....well, let's just say that the aircraft to be modelled represents the plane, on the ground In Normandy, while Churchill and his pilot were in the mess tent!)

What makes this kit quite iconic is the way in which Tamiya has managed to combine normal and clear plastic in single moulds, for the fuselage halves:-

fuselage.jpg

Also Tamiya included some metal, to do the wing spars and the undercarriage pylons, as well as a bit of PE. Could be fun getting these to fit!

metal.jpg

There are also some masks provided for the large greenhouse of a canopy - though you do have to cut them out yourself:-

masks.jpg

The other sprues, just for the record, are here:-

transparencies.jpg

(A couple of alternative canopies - more for the spares box)

wings.jpg

fusbottomandspars.jpg

(note the well moulded fabric stitching along the bottom of the fuselage here)

spruevarious.jpg

.... and the two sprues that will be going into the spares box:-

spruesnotforusing.jpg

The references

Apart from what I have learned from the internet (much of which is reproduced above), I have some references, including the Mark 1 "Dozen Set" book,

which includes decals for this very aircraft.

references.jpg

colourscheme.jpg

I intend making a start on this tomorrow, and hope to have it finished by the end of the month.

Thanks for looking!

Philip

• Like 3

Thanks for the welcome guys.

A bit of modelling was, in fact, done today. First off, I sprayed all of the interior parts in RLM 02 (well, the nearest equivalent within my

paint stash - Tamiya XF-22). I took the view that, while the exterior of the aircraft was undoubtedly repainted by the RAF, it was unlikely

that there would have been the time, or inclination, to re-paint the cockpit from RLM 02 to RAF interior Green (and since the photos are

in B & W, nobody can prove me wrong.......I hope!)

Then I assembled the various pieces that go on to the two fuselage sides, and using a lightened version of RLM 02 (the Lifecolor version,

that is), I highlighted the internal framing, and also the more significant spars. I then painted the various equipment pieces that hang off

the spars in gloss black (as per instructions - this is going to be an OOB build for a local competition - the IPMS Ireland Nationals).

This was the result:-

fussidepainted2.jpg

fussidepainted1.jpg

All that remains here is a pin wash to bring out the shadows around the framing and spars, and some dry-brushing of the details of the various dials

on the pieces (which I assume to be instruments, radios etc.), all of which I will do tomorrow. (You will note that it was necessary, even at this early

stage, to mask off the transparencies that are moulded with the fuselage pieces (while there are masks, these only work for the exterior sides...).

Then, I assembled what I could of the cockpit at this stage, again with some highlighting of the edges of the seats and some scuffing where feet would

go and cause some wear The seats were also provided with cushions, painted in leather brown with a very small amount of wear (I figured that Churchill

would be provided with a good cushion!)

In the meantime, I painted the various pieces that make up the engine, in different colours such as light grey, black, steel, gloss silver etc., and the spars

in a mix of RLM-02 and matt black. The engine assembly is rather nice, with all the pipes and pistons etc. All that is yet to be done is to dirty it up a bit

with some pastels, and do a pin wash of black around the cylinders etc. And the whole thing is quite small, as you can see:-

engine.jpg

The pity is, of course, is that the engine will be entirely hidden in this particular version. But hey, I will know that it's there (and so will you now, having

read this post!)

So - here are all the pieces, ready for weathering and then assembly.

sub-assemblies.jpg

The small V- shaped "forked" spars you can see here have to go in before the pilot's seat can be installed. Before this can be done, of course,

the back two seats will need seatbelts. Because this is an OOB build, I will use the Tamiya decals for this purpose (which should be fun, as I

hear that Tamiya decals are a bit on the thick side....)

More tomorrow...

Philip

• Like 4