1/32nd scale Short Stirling - wing internals

tomprobert

Having built a Lancaster and Halifax in 1/32nd, I thought I'd have a go at completing the 'Big Three' of RAF WWII heavies and add a 1/32nd Short Stirling to my collection.

I ordered this monster from Tigger Models, and a few weeks later a rather large parcel appeared on my doorstep. As is common with these large scale vacforms you are provided with the basics... the fuselage outline, wings, tail and some engine nacelles. Transparencies are provided, but that's about it. As Tigger says on his website - they're a blank canvass for the modeller to work their magic'. As usual, I plan to scratch-build the interior, bomb bays, undercarriage and scribe all surface detail on to the model.

This Stirling is rather large in 1/32nd scale - here's the fuselage halves with a tape measure set at 3 feet:

S1030067_zps9e0b4fbf.jpg

Two large sheets provide the wing and stabiliser upper surfaces, some oil coolers and tail wheel halves:

S1030063_zpsd966faff.jpg

Another two sheets give some engine nacelles, fin halves, wing land stabiliser lower surfaces:

S1030061_zps90ed49b5.jpg

A set of transparencies is provided:

S1030070_zpsfa7419db.jpg

Fellow builders often ask me the size of these models - here's a 1/72nd Lancaster with one of the wings:

S1030071_zpsad2a4e1e.jpg

I've got a set of plans ready to be enlarged to 1/32nd scale, a Warpaint issue on the Stirling, and a box full of spare Revell Beaufighter props and engines to help with some of the detailing:

S1030076_zps0da7d309.jpg

The plan at this stage is to build this as a MkIV glider tug with full invasion stripes, but I'm yet to settle on a particular aircraft.

Although I've done a fair bit or research, detailed plans of the landing gear, undercarriage bays, bomb bays and in particular the area where the front turret was are hard to come by. If anyone can point me in the right direction to find information on these areas I'd be very grateful.

I have the new Italeri 1/72nd scale kit to guide me on the interior details, but again if anyone can point me in the direction of some decent photo's, particularly of a MkIV interior, it'd be very useful. I plan to have the rear door open and want to detail at least part of the rear fuselage if possible.

As with the Lanc and Halifax, I reckon on this project taking about a year to complete, so you may have to bear with me on this one!

Let the fun begin!

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 7

How about building it as LJ916 "A" of 190 Squadron, shot down without casualties on a supply mission to Arnhem on 21st September 1944?

If you did, our museum would be pleased to give it a home. :D The wireless operator of LJ916 was John Clague, a Manxman, and we've just opened a new display on the involvement of Manx bods in operation Market Garden.

• Like 1

How about building it as LJ916 "A" of 190 Squadron, shot down without casualties on a supply mission to Arnhem on 21st September 1944?

If you did, our museum would be pleased to give it a home. :D The wireless operator of LJ916 was John Clague, a Manxman, and we've just opened a new display on the involvement of Manx bods in operation Market Garden.

Sounds interesting - I am open to any ideas for schemes at the moment. I don't usually settle on one until later in the build, but I'll certainly look into this. Do you have any profiles or images at all - I'd be interested to see her 'in the flesh' as it were!

Also, due to the size of these models, finding a home is not always easy. In the longer term, once it's done the rounds at the model shows, I may well send it your way as it sounds like a fitting home.

Looks like a good place to start Tom

The bits of kit you get look to be a quite accurate shape

So, here I am waiting and watching

I will enjoy this immensely

Yes these kits do seem to be accurate on the whole, despite their basic nature. The main thing is it looks like a Stirling which is always a good place to start! :)

This looks like fun - if in doubt, follow the Italeri kit not that plan!

Hi Tom,

Magic is the word regarding your work.

Be wary of Warpaint plans.They can be pretty wrong (remember the Shackleton engine nacelles...).

Cheers,

Sebastien

I have heard that the plans may be a little suspect, but I have also had offers of scans of other plans too so hopefully I can work my way through them and decide what's what. The Italeri kit will be a very useful resource though so will use that as a guide for scribing etc.

Looks like you've got the bits you need there Tom, should be fun. Love the Stirling, by far and away my favourite of the three.........good luck with that undercarriage !

I agree General - all the basics are there for this project. The fact I have engines and props from the Beaufighter is a huge bonus, too. I've also some resin Hercules engines do do a couple of them with the cowlings off - the only slight technicality at the moment is that they're buried deep in the stash somewhere and I'm yet to track them down!

The undercarriage is going to be very tricky, although brass tubing and plastic rod should do the trick. I'm hoping to source another set of resin main wheels as used on the Halifax which will give me good starting point. Tailwheels are going to be modified Beaufighter units.

It's sure to be fun!

Hi Tom

PM sent re info request

John

Thanks for getting in touch John - PM replied to.

Thanks for all the info and interest chaps... I'm slowly getting together the required information so I'll be cutting the first plastic sooner rather than later :)

Tom

Edited by tomprobert

Looks like you've got the bits you need there Tom, should be fun. Love the Stirling, by far and away my favourite of the three.........good luck with that undercarriage !

Would need another 12x12ft table for the Bomber Command table.... :lol:

l followed your last two and decide to follow this one. With experienced gained on the last two this one should be a Sterling effort on your part :lol::P:rofl: Ok someone had to say it might as well be me :bleh: ok getting my :coat: and leaving for work now

Edited by hacker

I've been trying to find details of LJ916 without much success. 190 Squadron Stirlings seem to have been very camera shy.

Can anybody tell me why I can't use the "quote" function any more? This is in response to Tom's post no.17 above.

Edited by Ivor Ramsden