New 1:72 Blackburn Buccaneer

Julien

Now that got your attention!

Britmodeller have been approached by a smaller model company who have apparently been looking at what people want, and are looking into the possibility of a new tool Bucc.

I presume there is enough need for one?

They are looking for some help about which ones to do, and what decal options people would like.

They are also in desperate need of some good references/plans/scale drawings as they want to do this right.

If anyone has some good plans/references and would like to help out could you please get in touch and we will pass them on.

At the moment they would like to remain anonymous for obvious reasons, but full credit will be given at the correct time.

I for one am hoping they can pull this off.

Cheers,

Julien

• Like 14

My preference is for S2's, and anything at all, so long as it's a reasonable price, (always been put off by the price of the Czechmaster one)

When I first saw it at Southern Expo back in 2006, I was stunned at the detail, but needed a Cardio version again when I saw the price.

Always rather liked the Senior Service stuff for decals, but that's just for the first few

• Like 1

Maybe alternative intake areas could allow to make both versions in a single kit?

As far as markings go:

Buccaneer S.2:

- XN980:233/V (the one that flew over Nelson's column in 1965)

- a 736 Sqn. machine in 1967 (bombing the Torrey Canyon)

- an 800 Sqn. tanker with suitable AAR pod

- an 809 Sqn. S.2D

- 12 Sqn. RAF in the early scheme with D-type roundels

- XV Sqn. - this would have to be 'F', "MacRobert's reply"

- a Red Flag bird in desert colours

There are lots of Desert Storm aftermarket decals around, but I guess including one would help marketing. XW533 "Miss Jolly Roger" is my preferred artwork.

A low-vis S.50 could also be an interesting subject.

• Like 3

A new injection moulded kit in any scale would be welcome!

Markings wise, no matter what they do they won't be right for everyone so safe bet would be a RAF version and a RN version or maybe multiple boxings, like an S1 with extra parts. The AM bits will be right on with decal sheets anyway!

As for references you can't go far wrong with this site:

http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk

As for a market I'd buy a few!

Phil

• Like 1

I believe Trumpeter or Hobbyboss was going to do either a 48 or 32 scale one as well but that seems to have disappeared. I would not be surprised if it's on Airfix's list of retooled kits in 72 and 48

• Like 1

For me, an S2 but I'd like an S1 as well.

But there's a good chance that one of the big boys might do one (Airfix for instance) and I'd hate to see a smaller company invest time and money into a project and then be usurped by one of the big players, ie what happened with Brengun's Typhoon and Skip's Tilly.

Best of luck to them though :thumbsup2:, at least they're intersted in finding out what we want :)

Neil

Who could it be? Sword would be my initial guess.

Versions, has to be the S2. So many options from the FAA and RAF that the kit could cater for plus Freightdog/Xtradecal/A2Zee could expand that range even further.

I really hope this comes true, the world needs a modern, good quality and accurate 1/72 Buccaneer kit. I also hope Airfix bring out a new one to the level of their Lightning kits, that would be awesome.

I can safely say, I'd buy a dozen even if I had to sell chunks of my stash to get them

• Like 1

As the CMR kits are from what people have said is the bees knees best to get one of those and use it as a basis for a new injection kit, providing it is not too obvious that the CMR kit was used.

Might be the best £80 spent.

Robert

Well senior service ones would be nice, with folding wing, nose and tail options plus dropped hook, tripod bumper and optional bomb bay. All th features not done on the dated airfix one.

Got to have 800 sqdn as per on Eagl, 809 on Ark in late scheme and 801 in Vic with the original scheme.

RAF i would go for an early scheme with the standard 3 colour roundels and lag belly, a later redflag one and a final light grey one.

A variety of stores and pylons wouldn't go amiss either

Hmmm! Well, I'm glad to know someone is listening at least. Best of luck. Both S1 & S2 variants will of course be ideal. Kit should also include a comprehensive range of stores with appropriate pylons used by both variants. Not just the standard Martel ASMs please. Buccaneer could carry a very wide range of whizz bangs.

Allan

Is there enough need for a new Buccaneer ? Of course ! All the existing kits are well behind today's state of the art

Is there enough interest ? There is from me for sure !

Which version ? As much as I'd love an S.1, the S.2 would make more sense commercially with more users, paint schemes and load options. It's also the version most will know. An S.1 conversion can be left to the aftermarket brigade.

Which markings ? Depends on the commercial strategy of this company: if they want to do one box only, I'd go with one FAA option, one RAF camo and one RAF desert storm... desert pink and nose arts always sell well while the other two markings would make many happy. If the strategy is to issue different boxes, then I'd suggest one for RAF with camo, DS and the final grey scheme and one for FAA (EDSG over white and overall EDSG) and South Africa.

Other bits: something to hang under the wing would be nice to have. Folding wings and radome and open airbrake would be too.... but I'd rather have these not included in the box and a more affordable kit than the opposite. These parts can be moulded to allow them to be opened using details from aftermarket.

Generally agree with your post Giorgio except for the comment about stores, folding wings etc. I'd rather they WERE included in the kit. Even if these add to the price, it will certainly be a lot more affordable than spending large sums of money on after market items. Not everybody wants to spend a small fortune on parts that could easily be provided in the basic kit. My own budget is very limited and, I'd rather spend another £5 or so on the basic kit than possibly £15 - £20 (or more) on accessories.

Now, while I can personally live without the folding wings/airbrakes (for example), one of my pet hates is a model of an aircraft (like a Buccaneer) that does NOT include items that are its raison d'etre! .

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

Allan, I should have explained better: I can live without folding wings and open airbrakes, I agree that weapons are best included. Particularly for a subject like this where many loads would be hard to find in generic sets and require more expensive resin bits. One thing is finding a few Mk.82s for a US Phantom, another are things like the FAA specific weapons. Unless one day Airfix decide to do a few Hasegawa style weapon sets for postwar British aircrafts (now this would be something I'd buy too)

• Like 1

I'll submit that a Bucc kit really should include an open airbrake option in the box. Buccs much more often than not were parked with airbrakes open. Folded wings were common too but the RAF would often park them on the ramp with wings down, inner flaps dropped and airbrakes open. FAA would usually be airbrakes open and wings folded and more often had the inner flaps up. A folding nose option is much less important to have in the box in my opinion. It's a neat detail option but usually the nose was folded back for hanger storage but out on the ramp or deck for pre-flight readiness it would be closed up. As for stores I would suggest slipper tanks, a Martel fit (TV and AR with pylon adapters and data pod), rocket pods (FAA style and MATRA), 1000 lb bombs, LGB set up with pave spike pod, sidewinder, and then maybe practice bomb carriers (CBLS and older style), in that order of priority.

• Like 4

I'd love a 1/72 S.2. A South-African marking option would be interesting I think.

There are some nice Mir Aviatsii drawings on Airwar.ru that look useful to design a CAD model (the fuselage cross-sections are given). Obviously real blueprints would be better but these may not be available. What do Bucc knowledgeable people think about the Mir Aviatsii drawings ?

• Like 1

Allan, I should have explained better: I can live without folding wings and open airbrakes, I agree that weapons are best included. Particularly for a subject like this where many loads would be hard to find in generic sets and require more expensive resin bits. One thing is finding a few Mk.82s for a US Phantom, another are things like the FAA specific weapons. Unless one day Airfix decide to do a few Hasegawa style weapon sets for postwar British aircrafts (now this would be something I'd buy too)

That's ok Giorgio :thumbsup:

You're right about the generic sets of course. Few (if any) include any British ordnance. I don't however like having to buy additional kits just to provide weapons. I was particulary disappointed with the rather minimal selection provided (compared with their previous Harriers) with the new Airfix Harriers. Spoiled (in my view) what were otherwise beautiful little models. I was particularly unimpressed with Airfix suggesting we spend another £16.99 on a Bomber Re Supply set just to bomb up their £25.99 Lancaster. I appreciate there are cost angles here but, would an additional sprue for the (for example) Lancaster really add much to the price?

If I recall, Airfix did once produce a NATO Weapons set? It's an interesting suggestion about Airfix producing such a set although (personally) I hope they don't go down this road. Getting back to the Buccaneer, I'd especially like a Torrey Canyon option - I'm old enough to remember the disaster and the attempts to bomb the wreck & burn off the oil. I'd ESPECIALLY like them in 1/48th................! :lol: . To be honest, I'd be happy to see Airfix re issue the 1/48th Buccaneer. I don't believe this kit was anywhere near as bad as a lot of people made out. Fit issues aside it built into an impressive & well detailed model.

Allan

I would suggest that they produce two versions - a basic one with nothing folded, undercarriage up or down, lots of weapons and open or closed bomb bay. The second version with folding wings, tail, nose and weapon pylons only. Using different moulds for the wing and fuselage parts so that there is no need to either cut a solid wing to fold, or fill gaps in a folding wing built straight.

Peter

• Like 1

Even with three of the Airfix 48th scale kits in the stash I can find room for a couple 72nd scale Buccaneer kits :thumbsup: All the more so it they catch the subtle differences between RAF and RN versions.

Strangely, I had an e-mail from Airfix today regarding their "Last Chance to Buy Collection" and lo and behold the 1/72 Bucc is sold out. Now, if they'd just sold all of their remaining stock that's one thing, but "Last Chance to Buy Collection" strongly suggests to me there aren't going to be any more, at least for a while. So if Airfix have discontinued what is probably a fairly strong selling kit (And don't tell me we haven't all got at least one in the stash!), could it be that they will be using the hiatus to bring out a new tool Bucc to modern standards?

Mods, please feel free to use this post as an official start of a rumour. :winkgrin:

Edited by Oldynewby