New 1:72 Blackburn Buccaneer

Julien

I'm with all of you but F-32's thoughts coincide the closest with mine...accurate i.e. 'correct lines'.

I'd be happy to buy several if good, and as to 'good information' for this small manufacturer, I have the 'Warpaint series no.2 Blackburn Buccaneer'.

There is a comprehensive pull out scale plan sheet which I thought was very good. Others may correct me on that...but I would recommend getting a copy.

Hope it helps...

Graham

Okay, well now that I've spent (and am still spending) a small fortune getting my Airfix S.2 up to specs, let's see if the old modeller's tale is true. If so, expect an announcement from Airfix any day now of a new-mould kit in 1/72nd scale. No need to thank me, it's all in a day's work.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 3

There are no currently available plans that are accurate for the Buccaneer. CMR has to draught there own.

So if someone wanted an accurate kit, they would have to measure a real one?

A real one at an airfield?

A real one at an airfield that has a few live ones knocking about?

Now where could that be :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm: ?

This is purely my own guesswork I should add.

• Like 2

In Desert Storm, F-117s attacking stationary targets with precision munitions achieved a hit rate of between 55 and 80%; sounds like the Buccaneers did pretty well for themselves.

Yes but this was during real war missions, conducted mostly at night against a range of targets, many of which in urban areas and some relatively small.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'd just like to chuck my tuppence in, as a fan of British fast jets, the Bucc seems to stand out at the moment as one in sore need of a good, accurate, affordable kit in in 1/72. It's an aircraft of many subtle compound curves though, so I don't expect achieving accuracy to be any easy task! But an S.2 kit with options for various configurations from the original FAA aircraft, through to Op Granby RAF examples with Pave Spike/Way ordnance would be just great!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Britmodeller have been approached by a smaller model company who have apparently been looking at what people want, and are looking into the possibility of a new tool Bucc.

Lets hope this doesn't turn out to be the modelling equivalent of vapourware: Our little aviation museum in Southampton is replete with weekly requests from "boutique" model companies researching their next project, even a new tool injection 1/48 S-6a which I was clambering over photographing and measuring for two days.

Looking at the time lines not one has even resulted in a set of cad drawings or whatever they may be using and many just stop replying to emails about progress after six months from getting the research.

I hope yours fares better and is one of the "big" small companies. Being the proud owner of a free CMR 1/72 Bucc, it would be nice to see one that doesn't cost £80+

Anil (still trying to get S-6a dirt out of fave 501s)

• Like 3

Lets hope this doesn't turn out to be the modelling equivalent of vapourware: Our little aviation museum in Southampton is replete with weekly requests from "boutique" model companies researching their next project, even a new tool injection 1/48 S-6a which I was clambering over photographing and measuring for two days.

Looking at the time lines not one has even resulted in a set of cad drawings or whatever they may be using and many just stop replying to emails about progress after six months from getting the research.

I hope yours fares better and is one of the "big" small companies. Being the proud owner of a free CMR 1/72 Bucc, it would be nice to see one that doesn't cost £80+

Anil (still trying to get S-6a dirt out of fave 501s)

:thumbsup::clap:

Needless to say I never advertise ONO....the timewasters and weirdos you attract are endless when selling your beloved grandmother's ashes.

But as an aside, I made a post on 'Britain's Small Wars' when I was doing an academic qualification and lo and behold, I had a bloody TV documentary company chasing me for my research. After Mary Beard and all the 'Dodgy Dossier' plagiarisms I told them to get stuffed and that it was the property of the University of London. (Silence)

But what really piddles me somewhere else when you don't even get an acknowledgement from these non Bona Fide wannabes, is the loss of interest in maintaining a brilliant site like B'sSw's. (If I'd known when that site went down...I really would have contributed)

I think you should uphold strict QA in future....now can I come and crawl all over your leg? :blink::tooth::wicked::hmmm::rolleyes:

BUT BACK TO 'THE BUCCANEER' PLEASE....I meant no derail. :chair: my mistake!

• 3 weeks later...

Only just spotted this thread, I would be very interested in a new tool brick it's a sizeable gap in the current market. Solid sales of the Airfix re-issue and the fact that Revell has decided to re-issue the Matchbox kit makes it surprising nothing has been so far forthcoming from the big players. Options wise I have always been a fan of the Op Granby machines so that would be my first choice closely followed by an early FAA machine in DSG uppers and white lowers.

I wish the project every success :)

• 1 month later...

I think Airfix will bring one out sooner or later, and with there latest releases with better accuracy using LIDAR technology which they used on the Sea King would be the most accurate Buccaneer in 1/72, but we can only live in hope

• Like 1

Just hoping Airfix run their gear over an FG.1/FGR.2 sometime soon.

With this new Buccaneer from X, Sea King from Airfix, AEW Gannet from Sword and cross-decking F-4J from Academy we're getting closer to 1970s Ark Royal nirvana.

Where X = S&M or Tanmodel ?

Tony

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes, I could not hold off any longer, just emailed Airfix to produce in 1/72 suggestions:

1. Buccaneer

2. Westland Wasp (no one does this and it will go well with Falklands era kits already produced)

3. aerospatialle AS350B Squirrel (no one does this)

4. Rapier Surface to Air Missile System

5. new tool edition of their classic Bloodhound SAM

• 9 months later...

I'd favour an S2B in 12 Sqdn colours.

For details on the Bucc why don't they try BAE Systems Brough. The aircraft is out of service now so there shouldn't be any security issues and it wouldn't take much to run off the GA prints. There was an SB2 as a gate guardian at the site too, though that was a while ago now.

Edit to add: The BAE Model Club might be quietly helpful too...

http://www.baesmac.co.uk/

Edited by Twobad
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 11/02/2016 at 11:45 AM, grahamwalker said:

RN s1 and s2 for me, who else operated them ;)

same here, all we need now is someone to make a really good F-4K in RN colours, good detail in 1/72 to compliment the Bucc...........like Airfix maybe????:)