Photos of the Zvezda Il-62M!

Don't know where you got the idea I thought there had to be a country similartity that was never in the query and never remotely considered that was something that should happen...only wondered why the went to western style alpahabet when at the time they still used cryllic on the titles and everything else on the aircraft. This gave the impression the 'R' might not be an 'R' although we always knew it was.

In other words they were mixing alphabets which in the old CCCP days they didn't.

This would not lessen confusion crossing borders but in fact would be more likely to confuse things...except everyone knew what was going on, including me. I just have always wodered why they did that.

I never understood why when Russia went to RA- it is not painted as PA- as in CCCP- really being SSSR-

Civil registrations are always in standard ICAO lettering whatever the nationality, so that probably explains it. I'm sure I've seen that even Aeroflot have their name in Cyrillic lettering on one side and Latin on the other? Or maybe it depends on the individual aircraft?

Prefixes V and Z Were allocated to British,Dependents, Colonies, countries. So VH,VT, ZS,ZK etc. VP and VR was a catch all prefix. The first 2 suffix letter s denoted the country,VP-KO was Nigeria*(never was part of the empire but joined the "club"),VP-F Falklands. South Africa has ZS,ZT and ZU. New Zealand ZK,ZL,and ZM.

The Aeroflot TU104 used on the London route were a small portion of the 150 ish in the '104 fleet somewhere around CCCP-42460,61,62,63 etc.Only once did I see a reg like CCCP-n2462,think the n is an H (only think) For some reason they weren't used on LHR flights.

I saw the 1st IL62,taking the 104 slots from then on, into Heathrow CCCP-86666 on a Saturday morning. I only saw one TU114 and 2 Antonov AN10's in xxx years "living" at Heathrow

I'v dug this out of my head some may not be spot on but near!

*The old BOAC Argonaut Appo trainer G-ALHJ was ex loaned to WAAC as VP-KOT ( This is off the top of my 1966/7 head!) It was still visible underside of the wing.

That's a Cyrillic "L", so the pre-1958 registration style was SSSR-Lxxxx (CCCP-Л1234)

The closest Cyrillic equivalent, there being no direct equivalent, to the Roman "H" is "X" (pronounced "ch" as in "loch"). The Cyrillic character "H" is equivalent to the Roman "N".

Edited by Jennings Heilig
  • Like 1

Ooooh! VC-10ski!

Must have one of them.

Are they still in service?

Air Koryo still operate some, But I'm guessing they just stay in North Korea,

Gambia Goverment have one in service,

Ukraine have a VIP one in service, (might have more?)

There is the odd few civillian cargo too (Kapo? I think), based in Russia,

Then the Russian AF, State Goverment, Russian Ministry Emergency Situations also have a few too..Couldn't tell you how many....

The Russian Ministry of Emergency Situations one would look nice next to my Eastern Express Be-200..........but then again the Russia State Transportation Company one would look rather nice too.....then there's good old Aeroflop.......choices !

Gambia Goverment have one in service,

Saw this at Banjul airport a few years back....

Edited by general melchett

Wasn't that eatra letter a sort of 'B' class registration like the EC-numbers and F-W or CF-TID-X???

I don't know about that but some 104s were in service with the "L" (thanks Jennings) and weren't supposed to fly outside Russia (or maybe to Iron Curtain countries with it.) Not to London I've seen plenty of photos's of these L reg 104's in pax service.

Edited by bzn20

I'm not aware of any prohibition on Soviet aircraft with the "L" registrations flying outside the USSR. That was their normal civilian (if one can call anything in the USSR truly "civilian") registration. All Aeroflot aircraft were thus registered for many years. And lots of them traveled widely outside the USSR.

I've never heard a definitive reason they changed it in 1958 to the "CCCP-12345" format.

I understand that but all I can say is the '104 sevice to London airport,now Heathrow,were CCCP-42464,65,66 etc. No L's into Heathrow.NOEL! Maybe these kites were not Certificated or had up to date kit CAA style. Either way apart from one I saw, they were not kosher?

Nice pics...thanks

One little point :bye:...if you convert the cyrillic 'L' then you should do the lot

So it's either as shown or SSSR-L5412

Such registrations are about 99.99 percent misquoted <_<....so you're just running with the pack :winkgrin:

Edited by garryrussell

I stand corrected -

СССР-Л5412 ….. or SSSR-L5142

Have a word with Irkut on this subject - regarding their new MC-21 airliner.

In some Russian-language brochures it is the Cyrillic MC-21 - and in Latin brochures, the MS-21.

But they then cause confusion by referring to it in their English/Latin brochures as MC-21 !!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irkut_MC-21

http://www.uacrussia.ru/en/models/civil/ms-21/

Ken

There's a set of Angolan markings out there designed for a resin kit that I have had bookmarked for the last 2 years. Hope there's a set left when this kit finally lands. And that they fit.

All I can say is WOW!!!

I'm sure that I'm going to end up ordering 6 at least, being as the included decal options look so good, plus the others I have in mind. I can't wait....

Dave