Vulcan XM600 from a newbie

zdfgdcv

Hello Britmoddeller people,

Having spoken with the Vulcan Master (aka robvulcan) he suggested I might get a WIP going for my latest Vulcan.

I'm am man of the digital age so never really played with this kinda thing before, but I've been practicing now for about a year, on the 5th model and the 5th Vulcan.

This will be the XM600, A Vulcan that met with a fiery demise in the 1970's, but it was one of the few Vulcan's to be given a DSG Cammo and white underneath..

I didn't really take any snaps until the build was well underway...

IMAG0163_zpsc4f61954.jpg

As you can see, scribing is almost complete (1st attempt ever) and behind the starboard U/C bay I have drilled and installed an exhaust, which I noticed when wandering under a Vulcan one day, guessing its something to do with the air starter, I'm sure the master will correct me :)

Annoyingly, I got the port exhausts wrong again!

IMAG0199_zps61c3e88c.jpg

Closer look at the scribing on the wing, also as you can see I have separated the elevon's.

IMAG0178_zps7c0b9fdd.jpg

Most of it glued and filled now, just a few tweaks left. Air splitters reshaped slightly, I made a few more "trims" after this image and of course the fuselage windows were done before gluing.

IMAG0202_zps7b88283e.jpg

Time to paint! Scheme will be DSG cammo on the upper surface and a white lower.
Brush is my preferred method, I plan to spray one day, guess I'm building up to that.
The elevons stand out much more once separated, I am quite pleased with that (not that there isn't room for improvement).

IMAG0226_zpsf58221fb.jpg

Cammo on!

DSG cammo is rare on only the upper side, sadly since this was done on few Vulcans I didn't have a picture to follow (which I need at this stage). So this is an attempt to merge the original RAF cammo pattern and the later full wrap DSG paint scheme.

(Cap of the tail will be painted black, once I'm happy with the other cammo)

IMAG0230_zps5e228c54.jpg

Quick update: Just painted tail cap and Jet-pipe ends

At this moment I am debating whether to do anything more with the cammo. Since I am still relatively new to this I try not to improve too many things at once, I tend just focus on one element at a time, and right now I am developing the actual construction.

Edited by graveszie
  • Like 13

Hi Nice to see you posted a WIP and VERY nice work too.

I ain't no Vulcan Master though,, I just love Vulcan's and make lots of them that's it.

Just addicted to them and like modelling with a strong interest in the V-force but that's as far as it goes.

Master of lack of organizational skills and getting into a mess with things is more my line of profession.

Rob ;)

• Like 2

Looking very nice so far. I am intrigued by the colour scheme. I guess it fits in somewhere between all white, and the early camo scheme with the light grey undersides?

Looking forward to seeing it. By the way, what happened to old XM600?

edited:

(curiosity got the better of me, Googled it! glad all crew escaped un-harmed)

Edited by chockhead
  • Like 1

Looking very nice so far. I am intrigued by the colour scheme. I guess it fits in somewhere between all white, and the early camo scheme with the light grey undersides?

Looking forward to seeing it. By the way, what happened to old XM600?

edited:

(curiosity got the better of me, Googled it! glad all crew escaped un-harmed)

As far as I know it was only done to 2 Vulcan's and was done around the same time as the white era began to end, the idea was to see if Dark Sea Grey was a better combo than MSG. Obviously it was decided not.

Edited by graveszie

UPDATE:

Progress has been slowed somewhat by the many coats of white required on the underside.

IMAG0281_zpsaa4a3c1c.jpg

Finally though after 6 coats of white I end up with this, very very glossy finish. The scribing on the underside is deliberately shallower than on the top to give a more smooth appearance, in this shot the scribing is clear on the port wing but on the starboard wing its less obvious, depending on the angle and lighting.

The wrap of the cammo from the top requires more touching, but its starting to take shape.

IMAG0269_zps9214b1c5.jpg

Trailing edge of the wings is now covered, but a little more touching will be required.

IMAG0266_zpsed0ff653.jpg

From the front, it's all starting to look more like the Vulcan.

The Radome needs some work as well as around the engine intake.

Watch this space...

• Like 3

Hi Nice to see you posted a WIP and VERY nice work too.

I ain't no Vulcan Master though,, I just love Vulcan's and make lots of them that's it.

Just addicted to them and like modelling with a strong interest in the V-force but that's as far as it goes.

Master of lack of organizational skills and getting into a mess with things is more my line of profession.

Rob ;)

Come on Rob , you ARE the Vulcan master.
  • Like 1

Come on Rob , you ARE the Vulcan master.

Haha, I never said that, just cause I make a lot don't make me a master (what is a master anyways)

It does however show the Vulcan is the master of me and my imagination.

Master of nothing me. Except monumental balls ups and talking rubbish.

Cheers Rob :)

Time to paint! Scheme will be DSG cammo on the upper surface and a white lower.

Brush is my preferred method, I plan to spray one day, guess I'm building up to that.

The elevons stand out much more once separated, I am quite pleased with that (not that there isn't room for improvement).

IMAG0226_zpsf58221fb.jpg

Brush, spray, whatever, as long as it looks good it doesn't matter how you paint the thing, and that looks pretty good from here.

• Like 2

Looking great so far. Ref "behind the starboard U/C bay I have drilled and installed an exhaust, which I noticed when wandering under a Vulcan one day, guessing its something to do with the air starter". It's the APU manufactured by Rover also installed in the Nimrod I think. The exhaust gases from that hole warmed may "liney" hands in the Lincolnshire winters during the one hour crew arrive to aircraft taxi out periods.

I was on another Waddington Sqdn when this crash happened, the crew had deployed the RAT (ram air turbine), a routine check that was carried out when requested by by calendar requirements I think, which had a wiring fault which caused the wing to catch fire so the crew "got out and walked".

Back to the model, looking forward to seeing the finished aircraft.

• Like 1

So the paint work and detailing is now done, all the remaining trimmings glued (apart from u/c which will go on when all else is completed).

All that remains is to make her uber glossy.... and decals... obviously...

IMAG0300_zpscc3d981f.jpg

Not as tidy a finish as I would have hoped for around cammo to white.

IMAG0308_zpsc0c20f58.jpg

IMAG0311_zpsd2886f65.jpg

Hopefully should have it all finished in the next few days...

Edited by graveszie
  • Like 4