Blower Bentley, Airfix 1:12th scale

Brandy

Hi Kirk

I am not very adept at getting pics, onto sites like this but will see what I can do. I have looked again in more detail at this extremely good build and can confirm that the hinges mentioned earlier by a member,which I think are 1/12th,can be used for all of the hinges but to be very careful when drilling through the holes provided not to destroy the bonnet in the process. I also scratch built all of the wing supports in brass, replaced the rivets on the actual wings, and made the wings removable as I dislike glued on items. I have seen scratch built dashboards but to be honest the Airfix part is hard to beat once the petrol cocks and switches are made up. The handbrake I also scratch built but such very small parts made this a difficult "working item" and I settled for just a few extra parts on the exhibit model. If of interest from readers on this site I am exhibiting at the Brighton Model show in February 2016 for just the Saturday only and could bring this along. It has been to the exhibition before and I try to bring something different each year. For interest there will be a number of 1/24th scratch built period open wheel race cars, ie Vanwall etc., a number of 1/8th scale period race cars (Ferrari, Maserati BRM etc).,. and my latest project a 1/8th scale Alfa Romeo 8c 2300 - I get limited space of 3 tables which does limit the models which can be shown. My pitch is PRIMA MINAUTOS..

Arthur, is that you? :) It's John from Kingston...welcome aboard mate! I was talking to someone here about your Bentley only last night. Hopefully, we will finally meet up in 2016!

I would offer to upload your build pics you sent me but my Mac is playing up!

Edited by vontrips
  • Like 1

Hello John

Yes it is me, nice to hear from you (and for kind offer to load the pics.) I will get round to doing this, normally my younger son does it for me.. My last show was in Camberley in Sept/Oct., prior to that I had sent an e mail to what I thought (must get to Spec savers!!!) was your address, I thought it strange not to get a reply, a gentleman came up to me (also called John) at the show and said "did I sent this e mail" about meeting up at the Camberley show. This was a bit of shock as I did not recognize him immediately. By strange coincidence I had met and purchased from him some time ago a Protar Mefistofeles and so the mystery of the lost e mail was solved. No doubt you are aware the old Protar Fiat 1500 has also been re produced like they did for the Mef. .

Two shows - one of which which you may be able to visit, The Grange at Midhurst is the Sunday before the Brighton show. It is on the website and I will be there.

Kindest regards - hopefully we can meet up.

Arthur

• Like 1

Please feel free to post the pics here Arthur, I always think it helpful to have as many references as possible on the one thread instead of spread about.

I would certainly like to see how you went about making up the bonnet straps as that is one of the remaining unsolved problems - they may not all have been addressed yet, but I do have plans on how to go about them!

I will be back in the UK in a couple of weeks but unfortunately will be returning to the US on 6th so won't manage the Brighton show.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Ian

I have only just seen your response so my apologies for bit of a delay. I am busy at the moment getting ready for a couple shows and will get some pics. on this site for the Bentley and hopefully of some of my other work shortly..

Arthur

Hi,

Does anyone know where I could buy the flat type of HT connectors that go to the plug itself?

Its the type that was used many years ago when a nut was used to retain the connector on the plug.

I want some for the 1/12 Bentley Im building.

Thanks

Terry

• Like 1

Hi,

Does anyone know where I could buy the flat type of HT connectors that go to the plug itself?

Its the type that was used many years ago when a nut was used to retain the connector on the plug.

I want some for the 1/12 Bentley Im building.

Thanks

Terry

Not seen them in any scale. My intention (when I eventually build this kit) was to use crimped tube. Round one end for the lead and crimped flat halfway along with a hole drilled through for the plug. Edited by vontrips

I make my connectors using ready-fluxed solder.

1 - drill a miniscule hole down the 'core' of the solder. Easy, as the flux just gives way.

2 - dip your lead in a dot of cyano and insert it in the hole.

3 - When dry, cut the piece of solder to a length of about 3-4mm - depending on your scale.

4 - Flatten half the piece of solder with small pliers, with a flat surface in the jaws.

5 - drill a tiny hole in the flattened face of the solder.

Done.

The pic shows such a lead attached to the top part of a Champion plug.

This is 1/8 scale, but I don't think the size difference would notice that much.

Roy.

P1010016_zps92f0e149.jpg

P1010025_zps5c9054e2.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

I make my connectors using ready-fluxed solder.

1 - drill a miniscule hole down the 'core' of the solder. Easy, as the flux just gives way.

2 - dip your lead in a dot of cyano and insert it in the hole.

3 - When dry, cut the piece of solder to a length of about 3-4mm - depending on your scale.

4 - Flatten half the piece of solder with small pliers, with a flat surface in the jaws.

5 - drill a tiny hole in the flattened face of the solder.

Done.

The pic shows such a lead attached to the top part of a Champion plug.

This is 1/8 scale, but I don't think the size difference would notice that much.

Roy.

P1010016_zps92f0e149.jpg

P1010025_zps5c9054e2.jpg

Thats brilliant,thanks for the info.

Terry

by the way,that engine looks cool!!

The plugs are just short lengths of styrene tube, a small piece of white sleeve from a wire, and a dressmakers pin down the centre.

I made up the little champion decals with the three grey lines - they were applied round the tiny piece of tube.

Leave the dress pin protruding at the bottom - say, 5-6mm - cut the rest off, drill a small hole in the cylinder head and use the length of pin as an attachment with a dot of cyano.

Making an entire plug and lead takes around ten minutes. Another minute or so to fit it.

The image below is the correct size for 1/8 plugs.

Download/copy and paste it full width on an A4 page, then print on decal paper.

Technically, for 1/12 plugs, you should reduce it by around 33% - I think.

Roy.

CHAMPION%20SHEET_zpsohelqxmh.jpg

Edited by roymattblack

No problem, anyone is welcome to use this thread to post ideas and techniques that are relevant!

Personally, I just used a small piece of copper strip, CA'd it to the plug, and CA'd the lead to that.

Ian

Nearly done with the carb linkages now. The choke mechanism is just resting in place and will be removed for painting before it's installed. I used aluminium tube for the main control rods, with .030 plastic rod drilled out and slipped over it for the brass bushes on the butterflies, these will also be painted tomorrow. The small circular pieces are from a sheet of 1:72 photo etch WWI prop hubs - the perfect size, and the holes are already there!
003_7.jpg
004_6.jpg
002_14.jpg
Once the choke is fitted, I'll add the wiring for the mags and fan, the throttle linkage from the pedal, and then the steering column, with the rest of the linkages...
Thanks for looking in!
Ian

Hey Bud.I assume the little black bracket between the distributers is the cooling fan mount? Great build

It is indeed, and thanks!

I may have to add a little to the rear of the fan itself as it fouls the water pump, but nothing major. Hopefully I'll get back to this one soon.....

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Ian, anything further on those printed damper assemblies? I'm thinking that I might start my Bentley as a long term project towards the end of the year, so I'm going to start putting detail bits and references into the box, and these will be a good start.

Note to self, start buying small drill bits in bulk and storing them in the box too...

I haven't fitted them so can't vouch 100% for them as yet. I can make them available on Shapeways though if you're interested....

Ian

I haven't fitted them so can't vouch 100% for them as yet. I can make them available on Shapeways though if you're interested....

Ian

Hi Ian,

I'd be interested in a set too. Plan on starting mine sometime in April.

Regards,

Jeremy

All done! They are now available on Shapeways:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ibdetails

I know they're a little expensive...believe me, I'm making next to nothing on them. I'm making them available simply because I've had such great feedback, and I know they are needed. I hope you like them!

Ian

Ian - it's beautiful work and I have no doubt that the margins are tiny. Alas I'm going to have to get my kicks from watching your build with these as they'd add up to twice what I paid for the kit.

Best of luck though and am looking forward to your next instalment.

Kirk

I understand! I would like to have had them made in a cheaper plastic but the thickness isn't there to support it.

Ian