Blower Bentley, Airfix 1:12th scale

Brandy

Has it really been 3 months since my last progress post?

Following a lead on another forum, I downloaded a trial version of Rhino and have been playing around designing some replacement shocks for this, to be 3d printed. I submitted my order for the prototype today and should have that in a couple of weeks. That will enable me to check the fit and modify it as necessary, then order the full set of 6......

Ian

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
I received the prototype this week and I'm very pleased with it! The size and angles look good, so I now need to add the adjusters and mounting bolt heads. I've decided that for ease of printing and to reduce my design workload, instead of making 6 different shocks, (which would be required if I included the mountings) I will leave the mounts off - these can either be scratchbuilt, or removed from the kit shocks and modified as necessary. I will add the bolt heads and adjusters in their correct positions, but raised slightly on a small "pedestal" so that they can be cut off with a small razor saw and fitted on whichever side needs them, thus getting around the left and right handed differences. Doing this means I only need one master and will be able to print 6 identical parts, then easily modify each one to fit where it's needed!

35125514044_e43b57169e_c.jpg

35576512480_1ffd06cc11_c.jpg

35966113675_4f19618006_c.jpg

35156071053_a093224137_c.jpg

Removing the adjusters will be necessary anyway to add the decals for the adjusting plates.

I'm looking forward to getting these finished and fitted!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot

Like me, you have gone down several rabbit-holes which have slowed the pace of your build. But in your case, with excellent results. Those shocks look great. A wonderful accomplishment Ian.

Nice to have you back at the bench with this one. Please keep it up.

Thanks Codger!

Kirk, I'm not sure yet, there are 6 in a set (2 each side for the rear) and I want to do the adjuster plate decals too....but they will be made available - I'll keep you posted!

Ian

• Like 2

Thanks Codger!

Kirk, I'm not sure yet, there are 6 in a set (2 each side for the rear) and I want to do the adjuster plate decals too....but they will be made available - I'll keep you posted!

Ian

Excellent, I know that the kit is from an older generation and as such, is unlikely to to be looked at by the aftermarket manufacturers, so I would happily taken a set of anything produce :thumbsup:

These arrived in the mail today....

35156071273_f6eb8f3fa4_c.jpg

35896517886_f3620b360d_z.jpg

I'm well chuffed!
Translated: Very happy with how they've turned out. There's no way I could have got this level of detail by any other means. Now I need to reprint the decals.....

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Kirk, thanks for the interest!

I am also building a 1915 Short 184 float plane with folded wings for a group build on another forum which ends mid November (also posted here in the aircraft wip section) so my spare time is going on that at the moment. Once that is done I will be back on this one. I must admit I really want to see how those shocks look when mounted.....soon I hope!

Ian

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Hi folks,

I haven't forgotten about this, I just have other builds that are priorities at the moment. Having said that, I got bored with rigging the Short so decided to tackle a little project on this one as a break.
Airfix moulded the radiator badge too low so I needed to find a way to put that right. I tried making a mould of it a few months back and destroyed the badge, so I ordered a new rad shell from Airfix. After trying to mould it again I decided it wasn't going to work: I couldn't get the detail fine enough, or make it thin enough. I therefore bit the bullet and decided to graft it!
I first removed the badge from the replacement shell, then marked out where it should go and drilled out the centre line.

35937345205_9dc2a92a8a_c.jpg

35937342595_cc64929877_c.jpg

I then slowly and carefully widened the hole until the badge fitted.

35937342295_61f543133d_c.jpg

The top of the shell is a little flatter than the front, so hot water came into play. I made sure I checked it constantly to see if it would bend and in the end I got it sufficiently flat to insert it into the hole in the shell.

35937341765_967c2f9a4b_c.jpg

The edges of the joints at the rear were filled with Mr Dissolved Putty to fill any gaps and give it a little more strength, and when it's dry I'll fill and smooth off the joins at the front.....

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 3

Thanks Codger,

I'll probably add some plastic stock back there for just that purpose, although there doesn't appear to be much filler needed....just enough to hide the joins and a slight reprofile of the shell should do it!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have only just seen today (7th Jan 2016) this very nice build of the Airfix Bentley, I built one of these a couple of years ago and put my build up on a site (cannot remember which now but could be this one). After much head scratching I built the wheels much like you have and recall drilling all of those tiny holes and getting my fingers pricked. I also made all of the dampers from brass as well as the spring hangers, and painted them all before assembly, as a Pocher modeller these I made were very much like those on a Pocher Alfa. I also bolted the model together - again much like a Pocher. The brackets for the headlamps were also built from brass and the stone guards turned up in brass and wire fitted. The doors were made to open, the fly screens an bug screens were also scratch built. The body shell I covered in material, (leather seats etc.,) My model took a Silver at the Model Engineering Ex. 2014 and I have yet to detail up the engine. I did however completely hinge the bonnet, scratch built leather straps, buckles complete with the rollers. If you wish for some pics. I would like your e mail address and only too pleased to show you..

The weak point on this model is the front axle and I made this from brass as well as making all the wheels (and the spare) as removable items.

If you wish for some pics. I would like your e mail address and only too pleased to show you..

I willing to bet that I'm not the only one who'd like to see a pic or two. Any chance you could post them on this (or perhaps another) thread on the forum?

Cheers,

Kirk

• Like 3

Hi Kirk

I am not very adept at getting pics, onto sites like this but will see what I can do. I have looked again in more detail at this extremely good build and can confirm that the hinges mentioned earlier by a member,which I think are 1/12th,can be used for all of the hinges but to be very careful when drilling through the holes provided not to destroy the bonnet in the process. I also scratch built all of the wing supports in brass, replaced the rivets on the actual wings, and made the wings removable as I dislike glued on items. I have seen scratch built dashboards but to be honest the Airfix part is hard to beat once the petrol cocks and switches are made up. The handbrake I also scratch built but such very small parts made this a difficult "working item" and I settled for just a few extra parts on the exhibit model. If of interest from readers on this site I am exhibiting at the Brighton Model show in February 2016 for just the Saturday only and could bring this along. It has been to the exhibition before and I try to bring something different each year. For interest there will be a number of 1/24th scratch built period open wheel race cars, ie Vanwall etc., a number of 1/8th scale period race cars (Ferrari, Maserati BRM etc).,. and my latest project a 1/8th scale Alfa Romeo 8c 2300 - I get limited space of 3 tables which does limit the models which can be shown. My pitch is PRIMA MINAUTOS..

• Like 1

I willing to bet that I'm not the only one who'd like to see a pic or two. Any chance you could post them on this (or perhaps another) thread on the forum?

Cheers,

Kirk

Me too! I hope you are able to show the pictures on here, pocherman!