Blower Bentley, Airfix 1:12th scale

Brandy

Blackie; that 1:1 photo is stunning. Thanks for sharing.

The dusty / rusty patina is my cup of tea. I should dig mine out and renovate with that look. Maybe next year when I finish the Rolls.

Do you have more such excellent photos or a link?

Thanks Black Night, unfortunately that's not an original Blower race car - the tank doesn't have the correct mountings and stone screens. Maybe a later repro or conversion, or possibly one of the road cars built to homologate it for racing. However, any pics are more than welcome as general fixtures and fittings may be figured out from similar models. I'm still trying to find details of the fuel line runs from the tank and the oil line runs from the firewall.....

Here are a couple of originals:

Rearleft.jpg

Rearright.jpg

After another afternoon and two attempts, here's the final article:

35896464496_02aae226cf_c.jpg

35097445944_2d8feaeaa9_c.jpg

Perhaps some paint mixing tomorrow.....

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1

Sorry, Black Night, I didn't word my reply very well.

What I meant was that it didn't appear to be one of the 4 originally built for Birkin - I was assuming that they would all have the same type of tank mounts, with the upper brace, as evidenced by pics of both the No. 8 and No. 9 cars. I know full well that all were different and by no means profess to be an expert on the subject! The car I'm attempting to build is the No. 8 car, I believe now owned by Ralph Lauren? As to other pics, PLEASE post them! As I stated above, although each car is different I may be able to glean important info about systems from them - I'm still trying to figure out how the fuel and oil lines were routed and can't find any pics anywhere of the front of the engine with the water pump and fan assembly.

I apologise once again for my badly worded reply, it was by no means meant to imply that you didn't know your subject, or that I was not grateful for you posting the pic!

Ian

Thanks Sarge!

I fell in love with these cars when I was a kid, and volunteered as a Marshall for the Bentley Drivers' Club race meet at Silverstone for many years, so I'd like to get it as accurate as possible!

Ian

An interesting build! I have one of these kits in my stash (bought new for £27! a couple of months ago). Looking forward to starting mine once I get my Robby the Robot kit finished!

Where did you get that wire mesh from Ian? I'm going to get some for when I start my build.

Can't wait to see you progress with this build!

Thanks for the interest gents!

Brian, the mesh is from The Mesh Company (Warrington) Ltd. They have have an almost infinite range - you can stipulate both the wire diameter and the aperture size. I've used #22 Mesh which is .22mm wire diameter and .94mm Aperture. It's very close - I counted the number of apertures along the top of the tank sides at 17 and this mesh gives 15 - more than close enough for me! I also got some #60 Mesh, which is .11mm wire and .32mm aperture for the windscreen, horn, and carb screens. It looks to be pretty good also, I'll find out for sure when I get that far! The total for the 2 A4 size sheets was GBP6.65, but the postage to the US was another GBP8.50! Still, well worth it in my view! There is another company in New Jersey that may be better for US builders, but they only stipulated sizes in Imperial and I didn't want to mess around with converting....

Caerbannog, that paint looks pretty good, thanks! I've already got the paints I plan to mix, but if I can't get what I want with that approach I'll give this one a try.

Ian

oops! I forgot the link, thanks Brian!

I decided today to start to tackle the most daunting part of this build - rewiring the wheels!
I had already spent a good while thinking about how best to go about it, so this morning I bit the bullet and went for it. Before I did anything, I used the kit parts to make a jig to hold the hub central and at the correct height relative to the rim, and marked the rim and hub so that they would align correctly.
My main problem was figuring out how to accurately drill the holes: should I make a stencil? If so, how? It would also have to be reuseable.... I decided in the end to use the kit parts as their own stencils.... I snipped off the spokes from the outer rim, leaving the stubs at the end, and used those as guides. I drilled each hole from the rim side, and at an angle, to allow for as straight a run as possible through the rim. Initially I only drilled part way through, then trimmed off the stubs and cleaned up the rim. After that I finished drilling through.
The hub was marked and drilled, one hole just each side of the mark, and correctly staggered front to back. Then it was a relatively simple job to cut small lengths of .020" steel wire and thread it..."relatively" simple being the operative word.....

35570076770_2b41571f62_c.jpg

35128133813_178d4e055c_c.jpg

I must say, I'm very happy with the results, and even more so that I got it at the first attempt!

Now I know my method works, I'll take step-by-step pics of the next wheel as it's done and post them so that anyone contemplating spending a few days doing this can at least save themselves some of the hassle!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 4

Roy,

Airfix made these wheels in two halves, this is just the inside (closest to the chassis) of the wheel, the outside is still to be done. I may yet redo it....I think the spokes are too thick, so the next one will be built with .015" steel wire instead of .020". I'll then compare them both with pics of the real thing and decide which one looks more accurate - the other one will then be rebuilt the same.... (can we say "sucker for punishment?") :banghead:

Got to be done.....

Ian

Roy,

Airfix made these wheels in two halves, this is just the inside (closest to the chassis) of the wheel, the outside is still to be done. I may yet redo it....I think the spokes are too thick, so the next one will be built with .015" steel wire instead of .020". I'll then compare them both with pics of the real thing and decide which one looks more accurate - the other one will then be rebuilt the same.... (can we say "sucker for punishment?") :banghead:

Got to be done.....

Ian

.015" will be perfect. I did wheels on a 1/16 Benz with .012" which was 'correct'.

Roy,

Got to be done.....

Ian

Indeed it does Ian!

Think I'll put my bicycle wheel building skills to the test by rebuilding the wheels for the Bentley!

:popcorn:

OK Gents, grab a beer and sit back......

MHASELDEN - hopefully this will negate the need to farm the job out - it's certainly time consuming, but surprisingly easy. I've never attempted anything like this before either!

First, the jig -it's pretty basic. A piece of stiff plastic card stock (about 2mm) with a hole drilled to accept a length of 2mm (.080") rod. I placed the wheel on the rod and pushed it down so that the rim was on the card, then cut the back off the rod and glued it in place. This made sure that the hub was at the correct height relative to the rim. A few pieces of .010" card were added around the spindle to take up the slack and stop it wobbling as the hub was not flush with the card. With the wheel sat on the spindle I then glued 4 pieces of thick rod to the card, pushed up tight against the rim, to hold it in the correct place.

35097444894_f2d1acb388_c.jpg

Next step was to mark the rim and hub to ensure correct alignment. (I brushed some white paint on first to make it easier to see the marks). The first mark is any one of the pairs of spokes where they meet the hub (the larger hub mark in the pic). Next, mark the rim opposite this mark, on both sides of the hub, to ensure correct alignment (notice that the rim marks are between the spokes). Then mark the outer ends of the two spokes that start at your hub marking - one I marked "top" and one "bottom". These two marks should be the third spoke either side of your rim datum mark.

35570076760_6a50e91a98_c.jpg

You're now ready to cut the moulded spokes out, but make sure you leave the nipples at the rim - these will be your "stencil" for drilling the holes! Here's one I prepared earlier..... (sorry, I've been waiting years to say that - "Blue Peter" fans will understand))

35128133073_2bb4550665_c.jpg

I am going to use .015" (.38mm) wire, so I used a .018" drill bit to drill the holes for the spokes. Drill from the rim side (the back) and make sure you don't drill perpendicular to the rim - for the top (inner) row the bit should point clockwise, for the back row, anti-clockwise. This will ensure that the spokes slide in easily and don't bow, which they will if the holes are perpendicular to the rim.

35097444184_ab37dfa979_c.jpg

I didn't drill all the way through at this point, and here's why: Once you've drilled all the holes (make sure they are deeper than the nipples on the rim!) you need to remove the nipples and clean up the rim. There is a nasty mould line there that also needs to be removed.

35959017335_c3ef6bae5a_c.jpg

35128132063_7805fdda34_c.jpg

This will of course fill up the holes you just drilled, so now you can go ahead and finish drilling through.

35097443764_b639cf5cdf_c.jpg

You're now about 2 1/2 hours in.... time to drill the hub: If you're looking at the edge of the hub ready to drill, the top row should be slightly to the right of the marks you made previously, with the bottom row slightly left. Drill these holes perpendicular to the hub edge.

35896465576_6f1e636bb9_c.jpg

Once that's done, the hard work is over - time to start lacing! Bend one end of each spoke to about 45 degrees to fit into the hub holes.
Start with your reference marks, then add the bottom row all the way around - they will fit into every other hole around the rim, make sure that you are following your reference mark and fitting the bottom row of the hub into the bottom row of the rim - notice from the earlier pics that the rim holes are staggered! After 6 or so, the hub will stay in position. (I removed the wheel from the jig to slide each spoke through the rim from below, then just slid it back on to the jig to fix the spoke to the hub with a tiny dab of CA gel on the spoke end).

35097443364_00e9eb146e_c.jpg

About 5 hours after you started (assuming you used a pin vice like I did) you'll be finished! Half of one wheel done!

35896464016_6b6341b856_c.jpg

As you can see, the second wheel (with the thinner wire) is much more to scale, so I shall rewire the first one, and stick with the .015" wire for the rest.

Time for a beer!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 4