dual tamiya and Dtm redbull rb6 build. tamiya car take 2

shood23

Wow I can't believe how long it's been since the last update for this but honestly with all the other bits I have been doing this has just been put aside and forgotten about, but good news i got it out today and started the decals on the main body

So here is what i have done tonight

20150205_215136_zpslt05lgky.jpg

And the engine cover has been started

20150205_215143_zpsvjsqcbwb.jpg

More is being done as i type so i should progress with this quite quickly now

Shaun

• Like 1

Well as i said more has been done so here it is

The nose

20150207_191223_zpsibmyhr0h.jpg

The monocoque

20150207_184231_zps6vq9jxem.jpg

The other rear end of the bull has been put on the engine cover

20150207_184246_zpszkfgqnsn.jpg

Also the red bull lettering has been put on

20150207_191209_zps0tlbjl5z.jpg

Last is the out side of the end plates have been done

20150207_191200_zpsatyxz4jw.jpg

In most of the pics the decals have had micro sol put on them not long before the they were taken so they will look better tomorrow

Shaun

• Like 1

A small update of more of the same really

The monocoque is finished now, i just need to put a carbon decal on the bulk head

20150209_193042_zpsmikdr1tf.jpg

And the engine cover is done also

20150209_133837_zpssxeqhmrk.jpg

And thankfully the lines match up

20150209_193136_zpsdwdfbcye.jpg

And the bull looks amazing aswell beings the way i stuck it down it shouldnt line up

20150209_193154_zpsx23rbzy6.jpg

And then as always on my recent builds something has gone wrong and this happened

20150209_193419_zpsxgc3jspw.jpg

All i can think it is is that i didnt leave it long enough for the micro sol to dry so the decal was still abit fragile maybe its no problem though as i have a spare one from the other build

Shaun

Edited by shood23

Tonight's update

So apart from sorting out the rear wing all i have managed to do on this today is this

The carbon has been added to the front bulk head i just need to poke out all the little holes

20150210_211313_zpsm3y0fzhi.jpg

Hopefully i will get all the body parts i have finished in for a bit more clear tomorrow

Shaun

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Things are all good hear thanks Nigel and since the start of the year not much has been done, I think I lost a bit of enthusiasm for it because it was doing 2 of the same cars at once and then the issues with the decals but I will be honest since I finished my porsche 956 a couple of days ago I have been looking through the box trying to think up ways to make it all work out so there may be a bit done soon.

Shaun

• Like 1

Nice work there Shaun, you have really gone to town on both these.

Liking the carbon fibre detailing you have done too.

I cant see on the previous pages, that this question not been asked.

What blue is it that you are using for the Red Bull Blue & how do you blend in the silver pigment into it?

I've seen the Revell version of this in my local Hobbycraft, and it comes with a little pot of Red Bull blue, but in previous experience with the little pots Revell insist on putting with there model kits sets, it wont cover the whole model.

Looking forward to the final reveals.

Wayne.

Edited by Deadman Disciple

Wow I can't believe that I haven't worked on this car since mid February.

There has been some bits done today so here's what I have done

I finished off a few of the decals I missed off before I glossed it so another clear coat is needed

20150515_165320_zpsd8jd9ovq.jpg

And it's the same story with the engine cover

20150515_165325_zpscehnbyld.jpg

And last for now is I have started on the decals for the wings

20150515_165313_zpshlsocw7o.jpg

And just a quick shot of the rear end

20150515_165334_zpsypdyvvxl.jpg

More to come soon as I have got the bug for this back

Shaun

• Like 1

Honestly Roy tamiya should have made this in 1/12, I would have been the 1st in line to get one.

Right on with the build and it's more frustration than fun now

This is what has happened

20150518_200715_zpsoruycags.jpg

It's only happened on this side which has annoyed me even more, I would have been fine if it was on both sides as I would then know it was something I did

Here's what's up with the nose

20150518_200753_zpsazswwb4c.jpg

20150518_200820_zps1qar9h9i.jpg

And the day started oh so well

20150518_154749_zpstg3n70ud.jpg

After a phone call the the hobby company I have been told that, even though in the box there is a little sheet telling you have to get replacement decals, I can't get them so even though I made a promise to my other half that I would by anymore this year she agreed that I could just get a new red bull and start again but this time with a different method of clear coating

A new beginning starts hopefully tomorrow

Shaun

Just to say as well I will be using all the bits that haven't gone wrong from this build like the floor and suspension arms on the new car and the redbull that's messed up will be fully stripped back to the plastic and in time will be fully carbon jacketed as a unpainted version and if I can get hold of them possibly just the red bull logos

Edited by shood23

Aaarrgghhh...

What a catastrophe!!!!!

Does nobody else make replacement decals???

How about trying to get a set from Revell???

Would they work?

Fingers crossed.

Roy.

Roy, the Revell version is the RB8 in 1:24 scale. This is the earlier RB6, plus Tamiya produce all their F1 models in 1:20 so although close, they wouldn't be the right size anyway.

The decal manufacturers are Cartograph I believe. Can you not get replacements through them? Although I like the idea of a test car. You could try and replicate this seasons testing scheme!!

Hope all goes well this time round.

Edited by F1 Insider

When I phoned around a few places today I was told that tamiya are not allowed to sell or even give out replacements now due to the deal they have with redbull racing and none of the makers that make the add on decals (tabu and others) are not allowed to make a full set due to copy write laws or something, there is a company that make decals for redbull under the blue cow guise but they are made to fit the 2009 ferrari that tamiya made

I haven't tried cartograf yet but they will now be my next port of call

And with regards to the ruined car it is sitting In a ipa bath as I type and the plan is either full carbon or try and get my hands on the scuderia toro rosso decals for 2010 or even try and morph it into another car from around that time, possibly the brawn from 2009 given the looks of the cars being sort of similar it wouldn't be too hard.

Shaun

Edited by shood23

When I phoned around a few places today I was told that tamiya are not allowed to sell or even give out replacements now due to the deal they have with redbull racing and none of the makers that make the add on decals (tabu and others) are not allowed to make a full set due to copy write laws or something, there is a company that make decals for redbull under the blue cow guise but they are made to fit the 2009 ferrari that tamiya made

I haven't tried cartograf yet but they will now be my next port of call

And with regards to the ruined car it is sitting In a ipa bath as I type and the plan is either full carbon or try and get my hands on the scuderia toro rosso decals for 2010 or even try and morph it into another car from around that time, possibly the brawn from 2009 given the looks of the cars being sort of similar it wouldn't be too hard.

Shaun

Your patience far exceeds mine Shaun!! Looking forward to watching this unfold :)