somewhat dissapointing Aoshima TB3 Launch bay

My 1/350th Thunderbird 3 and launch bay arrived today , and im quite dissapointed in the fact that the upper levels are pre- printed cardboard (to be stuck to supplied foamboard ) with some very flat 2d representations of what should be 3d grills , and that the track for the couch to move along is also a flat pre-printed 2D illustration ! (edit ! ......i stand corrected ! there looks to be a photoetched rail on the PE fret ! yay )

what makes this even more dissapointing is that aoshima have spent money on a 1/350tn scale transmitter truck , that has no relevance whatsoever to the rest of the kit.... (ok it was used to rescue TB3 in the episode sunprobe , but if you were to do that in 1/350th scale the model transmitter truck would have to be several thousand kilometeres away from your TB3 model ! :P (talk about an international plastic modelers society display ! ) )

Major plus points are that at least aoshima have included the couch ! , and a nice photoetch fret for some of the upper level girders, and that the level of detail on the lower injection moulded lauch bay parts is superb ,but overall im hugely dissapointed about the cost cutting , and the "back of a kellogs corn flakes box" approach to the bulk of the diorama

I DONT relish the idea of scratchbuilding the rails to sit on top of the photoetched sleepers in 1/350ths

........sigh :(

Edited by Neil Lambess

sure thing

dug the camera out for my Fairey iiiF WIP so ill start with the good....

one sprue of pipes and fittings , some of which do go onto the carboard backing

Dscf5074_zps43a71ad4.jpg

the main and nicely done Parts for the lower half of the hangar

Dscf5075_zps01fdacfd.jpg

just realised i forgot to take a pic of two smaller sprues that have the tops of the exaust stacks and some support beams (ill post then later ) but heres the sprue with the transmitter truck and a new tool TB3 base with a couch door

Dscf5076_zps21551612.jpg

and the very nice photo etched sprue with the couch rail .....it looks more 3D in this pic that it really is

Dscf5081_zps6b08a0c4.jpg

and now the ugly (IMHO) : the cardboard upper levels atop the foamboard Aoshima provide.... its gonna be a nightmare to paint match the cards grey to something suitable for the plastic lower decks.... maybe an over spray of tamiya smoke to blend them together?

Dscf5077_zpsf1ff2496.jpg

nah too flimsy for me and the details wrong compared to the box art..... (although the movie bay was different to the TV bay )

Im just gonna have to scratch build new upper walls...... swizz !

Dscf5078_zpsda5434b4.jpg

and heres the ground plate card (to stick to the foamboard ) wheres me plasticard ! (you can hopefully see why i initially spat the dummy over the couch rails !!!!!!! )

Dscf50440_zps33d42f4c.jpg

yeah , im still dissapointed, i would have preffered to pay more for a full set of injection Moulded upper walls, couch-rail and base .

BUT at least its a good starting point for a nice display , BTW it comes with a complete TB3 kit as well , unlike their recently reissued TB2 Hangar which dosent !

Edited by Neil Lambess 01
  • Like 1

I can totally see what you mean and can understand the disappointment. However the bits for the lower section look excellent and I think the cardboard bit will end up as a template for something scratch built

• Like 1

I can totally see what you mean and can understand the disappointment. However the bits for the lower section look excellent and I think the cardboard bit will end up as a template for something scratch built

yep im already thinking of how to scale down the airfix girder bridge parts that are used on the upper level panels in the show.....now if i could just find a laser scanner, then learn how to build a CGI model , I can get shapeways to print the missing panels out ! :)

• 2 weeks later...