Airbrush cleaning pots.

Cheesey153

A few months ago I bought one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airbrush-Cleaning-Station-And-Holder-For-2-Airbrush-/131285038306?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item1e9132b4e2

and it's turned out to be utter rubbish. It leaks vapours from around the O ring seal and now the lid's screw fit has given up the ghost completely - it simply will not screw tight. I may as well be cleaning my airbrush into an open bucket.

I am now considering buying one of this style

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airbrush-Cleaning-Station-And-Holder-New-/131285038725?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item1e9132b685

Does anyone here have experience of either of these types? Is the second one as lousy as the first or is it worth buying?

Thanks all!

Jon.

I have the second one, never had a problem with it, Don't think any are meant to completely stop vapours as you can see some rising from the filter from the pressure of the airbrush, they are just somewhere to collect paint and thinners for later disposal.

I also use the Iwata one, which looks just like the one in your second link. I am very pleased with it. It does a great job of cleaning the brush, and comes with (here in the States at least) a sealable container (plastic jar with screw on lid) in which one would place the cleaning jar (good thick glass BTW) when not in use to contain the fumes. I am an Iwata dealer here in the USA, and could not compete with the price you see in your link.

Thanks gents. I shall buy that other one then - it has to be better than the thing I'm currently using....

I take your point about them not being meant to eliminate all vapours but the one I'm using barely prevents any vapours from escaping!

Jon.

OK chaps, I've just ordered one of the second type for just shy of a tenner. Let's see if it's merely a cheap ineffective copy of the good stuff, or if it's actually just as good as Iwata/Revell but without the premium price their names attract.

I shall report back once it's delivered and I've had the chance to try it out.

Thanks again for your responses.

Jon.