Airfix 1/72 F-86F

Newly-released and completed, here is my Sabre finished as Glenn's mount. I remember doing this one about 25 years ago with the Heller release. This Airfix kit is the third release of it's newly-tooled Sabre, and it's not without it's accuracy foibles. The canopy just doesn't look right at all, and thankfully I didn't have to use the undercarriage with it's unimpressive wheels, so if I am so inclined next time I build it, I may scrounge these parts from the Heller kit I have in the stash. However, the intention of this build was something fun, quick and relatively simple, after the marathon sanding session that was the TSR2!

You may notice a piece of white plastic sat on the dashboard. Well when I was drilling the hole for the rod, the displaced chaff all decided to head for the cockpit, so this one piece has lodged itself next to the gunsight. Short of removing the canopy, I decided to leave it, as it looks as though John has thrown a map or something up there...just don't look too closely! I also opened the pylon holes for the tanks and bombs, but decided it looks better without them.

The whole thing was finished in Alclad shades. Anyone who has built a new Airfix kit will be familiar with the plastic quality. It handles well but has a slightly rough feel to it, so benefits from a smoothing down with Micromesh before painting begins. A minor amount of filler is also required but it's not too bad (especially after that TSR2!) The last pic is with it next to my F-84. I took several pics with and without flash, and with or without LED lighting, as it was late in the day, so here are the better of the two lots

I do wonder if Airfix will keep up this practice now of releasing their new kits every couple of years with new decal options, like Hasegawa do? It's not a bad idea but I'm not sure how popular it would be with the availabilty of aftermarket decal sheets.

null_zpse0781e3c.jpg

null_zps7da04b5f.jpg

null_zps11415c73.jpg

null_zpsfaf7800d.jpg

null_zps48d80b8d.jpg

null_zps4f4bd819.jpg

null_zps4db9b26a.jpg

null_zps37b84345.jpg

null_zpsf567186f.jpg

null_zps8fe4057c.jpg

null_zps6e006130.jpg

null_zpsd90c2970.jpg

null_zps9eff38ba.jpg

null_zpsf1e169b6.jpg

null_zps749baa44.jpg

null_zps1810352a.jpg

null_zpsc6651e25.jpg

• Like 14

Awesome model! I have the origin boxing of this and I'm 3/4 through it. I've got the major decals on, but I just couldn't get the pesky fuselage band to line up to the underside decal. You've not had this problem I see, very impressive indeed :)

Awesome model! I have the origin boxing of this and I'm 3/4 through it. I've got the major decals on, but I just couldn't get the pesky fuselage band to line up to the underside decal. You've not had this problem I see, very impressive indeed :)

On mine it's actually a bit too far back. I moved it back because it wasn't sitting flat on the fuse sides but sticking up on the wing-fuse join. The bottom section isn't a great fit but that may be because it's too far back: there's not much room for error. In putting it too far back it then meant all the other decals on the body were out of sync but not overly so.

• Like 1

This is a beautiful duo. Well done.

I have a question for you re the F-84, which looks like the Academy model.

This one I have just started and I was curious about the decals. How did they behave? With Academy there is always a lot of trepidation before using their decals, as they often are on the side of rubbish...

So your take would be helpful for that model. Thanks.

JR