Mark IV Male Tank

Will Vale

Great! I am usually not building tanks (I have three in stash: Two for a planned War of the Worlds Diorama with the Pegasus Martian Flying Machine and an Airfix Mark IV from a sales) but I am very temped to add this kit to my collection. When I do I will refer to your excellent build for refeerence.

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Rene

• Like 1

I did a little bit of work to clean up the skin and stubble, added a few subtle highlights and some colour to the cheeks. I'll get on and do the uniform next. Let's not talk about the hands (which are very sausagey).

15159787223_3693bb2620_c.jpg

15593390049_da9314a55e_c.jpg

I'd like to tidy the eyes and mouth but I think it's safer to leave them, at least until the higher-mag lens plate I just ordered arrives!

Cheers,

Will

I painted the body yesterday and today - as ever, I wish it was tidier and it appears to have acquired some fluff during varnishing. I used GW acrylics and a fine brush, and did a little drybrushing to try and add texture. Attaching the cap turned out to be traumatic and I had to shave the inside of the brim and the poor chap's forehead to get anything approaching a fit. It's not great at the back, but I was scared to take any more off.

15212565814_a7c3d2a955_c.jpg

I think I need to be more hygienic around my workspace - i.e. clean it more and make sure work-in-progress models and their components are stored in closed boxes or bags. I did dust before varnishing, but it's too easy to pick up fluff off a dirty palette or whatever and get it embedded in the paint.

I left off all the extra pouches and things which didn't seem right for a tank crewman, but I suspect the webbing and a lot of other things are wrong if that's what he's supposed to be?

15212566794_81e04f9721_c.jpg

While I find the close-ups a bit painful, he looks nice from a distance and does add to the overall picture I think. For my first 1/35 figure I'm pretty happy, although I think perhaps the 28mm ones are easier as the exaggerated detail makes it easier to paint. Either way I'm looking forward to the new Optivisor lens plate arriving!

15834096972_eb0b633c75_c.jpg

15834097782_b4d2c81ee8_c.jpg

Apart from tacking him in place and adding some pigments to blend his uniform in a little, I think this is complete. I'll try and take some RFI pictures tomorrow and round things off.

I also still have the officer to paint using what I've learned from this one!

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

That's a great figure, superbly painted and the model looks absolutely awesome.....But I don't quite get why he's up there?

I'd assumed you were modelling a tank in action, rolling forward and blazing away, something about the way it is posed suggests motion, to me at least (probably the way it is looming over the trench).....I was half expecting a crouching German to be running in terror (accross the base) from beneath the 'horns' of the tank.

Please don't take this as negative criticism of your masterful work, I couldn't hope to match the quality of finish you turn out, I'm just passing on my impressions.....Perhaps once you've posed the officer with him it will bring the scene to a halt, so to speak?

I know what you mean about the dust, I've got two dogs who like to chill with me when I'm modelling, I put my stuff in boxes as soon as it's out of the booth, but I still find dust stuck to them.....The tiny micro-fine strands that form little loops are a particular pain aren't they!

It's a fair question - I found some pictures of tanks apparently in motion in a forest with one or two guys riding on the top of each one. I thought maybe they were acting as terrain spotters or something since the driver's vision must've been quite restricted.

I also have a picture of a trench crossing with someone on top spotting and an officer (?) in front guiding, but I don't think I can use the pose I have to make that scene.

I'll try and dig the images out, I think they were from the IWM archive.

Will

I think it's the way it's about to cross the trench that threw my thinking Will.....Looked to me like the tank was doing its thing, punching through the lines in the heat of battle and I reckon the last place you'd want to be at that moment would be on top of it. :winkgrin:

However I wouldn't completely rule it out as WWI tank crew had to do some pretty crazy things.....Was trying to locate a link to the tale of the 'Musical Box', but I can't seem to find it at the moment. :confused:

I found the images I was looking for:

large.jpg?action=e&cat=photographs

THE BATTLE OF PASSCHENDAELE, JULY-NOVEMEBER 1917. © IWM (Q 3544)IWM Non Commercial Licence

large.jpg?action=e&cat=photographs

THE BATTLE OF PASSCHENDAELE, JULY-NOVEMEBER 1917. © IWM (Q 3547)IWM Non Commercial Licence

Particularly the one with the two tanks which appear to be in motion? I dunno, I'm not a diorama or WW1 expert so this may by unrealistic, but I wanted a base to raise the tank up and show off its lines, and to try and paint one of the nice figures that came with the kit.

Perhaps now that I have more time I should add things to the base to make it less muddy, more verdant per the picture? So it'd feel less like the tank is on an active battlefield under fire? On the other hand I'd quite like to have this build finished since the last few bits have been dragging on somewhat!

Opinions, as ever, very welcome :)

Will

• Like 1

I'm fairly confident those are non-combat scenes, neither of the tanks have any weapons mounted. I'd guess the chaps on top are doing exactly as you surmised, guiding the driver, but I reckon they'd be off there in a shot if there was a shot (however I still wouldn't completely rule it out)! :winkgrin:

Something about the way you posed the tank on the base convinced me that your model was in the thick of battle, assaulting the Hun trenches, so the fellow on the roof really took me by surprise.....He's absolutely fine up there if the Tank is not actually in combat. :coolio:

Good point about the guns, I hadn't spotted that. I think probably the issue is that the base is so bare and so much the expected WW1 battlefield scene that it says 'combat' quite clearly.

I'll have a think about this, not sure what to do yet. I could just leave the figure off as while I quite like him, I don't think he matches up to the finish of the tank?

W

Although the Sgt is right; in WW1 a lot of tank commanders were killed in action, walking in front of the tanks to guide them, as well officers and crew killed whilst being exposed on the tops, generally whilst attaching the chains for the anti-ditching beam. Non-tank crew soldiers, often NCO or lower rank officers did ride on the top of a few tanks to direct them to a Hun position which needed dealing with.

• Like 2

No argument from me there Black Knight, this why I was trying to find the account of 'Musical Box'.....What they got up to is quite astounding! :coolio:

But the chap up top looks just a bit too chilled out for a combat scenario IMHO.....He's superbly painted and personally I think he fits in beautifully with the tank (the black & white photo is brilliant) , so long as it is clear that it's not actually in battle. :coolio:

If the figure were prone behind the drivers compartment, obviously taking cover and looking scared, he'd be fine in a combat scene (until he got shot of course). It was the mismatch between my preconceptions and the relaxed looking figure that drew my comment.....Kind of wish I hadn't said anything now. :confused:

It does kind of show why the story-line element of a diorama is so important though. :pipe:

• Like 1

I know and understand what you are saying and meant Sgt.

I just added my bit so others would know that men did actually ride up top during battle.

Very nice work over all Will.

The paint job is suberb

• Like 1

Cheers dude.....I suddenly felt like I might be perceived as slagging off what is essentially a masterpiece, which is very far from my intention.

When I follow a really good build like this from the beginning, I sometimes get a bit too vicariously involved, Nigel and Jorgen have been on the receiving end of it too. :blush:

Man, this is too cool Will. Love it!

Hey Sarge, where was this advice when I was working on the 52? ;) hehehe, just joking

Seriously though, this is becoming what I would consider a bench mark for future MKII's

Brilliant work

Si

• Like 1