hbox halifax

oz rb fan

i have a merlin powered halifax kit the came with out instructions but had decals...i've got a set of instruction but the decals i have have an option for a SEAC halifax and i dont have the paint diagram for that scheme,ive looked onl;ine and cant find it....the only seac ones i can find are for herc powered ones.

can anyone help?...or have i get the decals for another kit?

Paul

Hello Paul,

I`m not aware of a Merlin engined Halifax with SEAC markings,...it sounds like you have the sheet from a Revell Wellington! Does it have the code `Z' on it by any chance? Post the serial numbers from the decal sheet and someone will tell you what the type is.

Cheers

Tony

I've worked out this cryptic puzzle.. !!

This is the decal sheet from the "new" Revell Halifax with those badly over-sized Merlin engines.

Those aren't SEAC roundels, they are actually your standard Type C1 roundels with the red centers left off, to minimize misalignment.

The intention is to place the backing roundel on the model first (yellow/blue/white) and then add the red center after the main roundel as properly set.

You can download the instructions via this link - http://www.revell.de/en/products/model-building/aircraft/world-war-ii/id/04670.html

The 2.63MB file is just below the list of paints on the lower right side of the screen..

Hope this helps .. cheers .. Dave

Edited by Rabbit Leader

oh bugger......it looks likew a nice sheet(shame about the rest of the kit).the kit i have is deffinetly the old matchbox one..i'll have to look up the painting instruction on line when i make it....or just do a whiff..i liked the thought of an SEAC merlin halifax.

thanks for the quick replies.

Paul

Sorry... looks like I got the kit wrong.. perhaps it is the re-boxed Matchbox kit after all.

I've got this kit, and although the detail is certainly lacking in comparison to the newer mould - there is commentary out there to suggest that the overall shape is more accurate.

Good luck which ever way you go..

Cheers .. Dave.

Rabbit leader: I'm not quite sure which you think is the more accurate kit. As far as the fuselage and turrets are concerned, the new Revell kit it far superior to the old Matchbox tooling. Neither have the cowlings, propellers or ailerons right, nor the engine fairings above the wings. The Revell kit has superior main undercarriage and wheels, but the older kit has a better tailwheel.

The old Matchbox kit got the slope of the windscreen wrong too. On a real Halifax, the fuselage is cut away on the Flight Engineer's side (the starboard side) to allow the pilot to see better to the right.

This was missed by Matchbox.

Apologies if I may have mentioned something wrong here - I thought that I was being careful with reference to accuracy using the line above. There was no intention to claim that the Matchbox kit is more accurate than the Revell kit.

Anyway.. The bottom line seems to suggest that we indeed do need a new "Accurate" Halifax kit.

Cheers.. Dave.