Tamiya Panzer IV/70 (V)

IanC

Here's the ancient Tamiya Jagdpanzer IV, made out of the box except for a metal RB barrel and some replacement tools.

The model is painted with Tamiya paints and has an AK Interactive pin wash and a few pigments for weathering. The factory applied three-colour camo scheme was sprayed free hand with my old Badger 200 airbrush.

I used a pigment paste to build up a bit of mud on the lower hull, but generally I wanted a reasonably 'clean look'.

It's a crude kit by modern standards, of course, but I just wanted to practise a more complex paint scheme.

IMAG1876_zpsc2bd1672.jpg

IMAG1863_zps21069767.jpg

IMAG1881_zps9a8baf69.jpg

IMAG1880_zps1a034948.jpg

IMAG1874_zps5067b251.jpg

IMAG1870_zps29e70521.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Ian

• Like 8

Hi Ian,

It doesn't look like you need the practice. Well done!

I love Tamiya kits. No matter how old they are they go together a treat. I'm working on a Stug IV at the moment.

It's my first venture into PE Zimmerit and a rare diversion from my North Africa stuff. I hope my paint scheme turns out as good as yours.

Mac

Thanks for the comments.

Mac - I did the StuG IV recently too with some PE zimmerit. It seemed to work out ok. Post some pics when yours is done!

Jack - the Tamiya instructions are a bit off as far as colour schemes are concerned. They just suggest dunkelgelb with crew-applied camouflage. This is ok for the earlier L/48 vehicles, but most L/70s were delivered in a factory camouflage. (not Tamiya's fault as most info on the subject has come to light since the kit came out). Mine is actually based on an amalgam of schemes seen in photos I found online. As far as I can see there was no standard pattern as there was on King Tigers for example, and so you have a bit of latitude. Some had the 'ambush' scheme, but most appear to have had a simpler three-colour camouflage job like this. I expect Tamiya's forthcoming new Jagdpanzer IV kit will offer something similar.

Ian

Ian, thanks for that.

I was also going to ask about the side skirts. I guess many of the vehicles would lose these before even entering battle, due to traveling off road in fear of allied airpower?

regards,

Jack

Ian, thanks for that.

I was also going to ask about the side skirts. I guess many of the vehicles would lose these before even entering battle, due to traveling off road in fear of allied airpower?

regards,

Jack

Yes it seems that way. In most photos I've seen of these vehicles, especially the later L/70 versions, the skirts - and sometimes the brackets - are missing. I actually think in many cases they were probably dumped as soon as possible by the unit concerned, before they went into action, And possibly some vehicles left the factories without them in the first place. The last mark of Pzkpfw IV had its schurzen replaced by wire skirts to save materials, so maybe a similar thing was going on here.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

That's a lovely Panzer right there, I love the sheer variety of vehicles the Germans managed to squeeze from the Panzer IV chassis.

I use a Badger 200 as well, you can get some great results from those brushes, on par with much more expensive equipment.

Odd.

Thanks guys. Yes, I'm really looking forward to the new one. It's just such a mean, purposeful looking AFV..

I'm wondering if they might follow it up with a revamped StuG IV and perhaps the Brummbar at some stage too.

Ian