Bombers... what's out there?

Bonehammer

Hello,

I've been bitten by the bomber bug and wonder what kits are available in injected plastic and in 1-72. These are the types that I know about, can you add more?

Martin MB-2

Martin B-10

Douglas B-18

H.P. Hampden

A.W. Whitley

Hawker Hart

Vickers Vimy

Bristol Blenheim I

Fiat Cicogna

S.M.79 and 81

CANT Z.1007

Tupolev SB

Tupolev TB-3

Amiot 143

Potez 540

Bloch 200 and 210

Heinkel He.51

Junkers Ju.86

Junkers Ju.87A

Heinkel He.111B, ecc.

Dornier Do.17

Kawasaki Ki.48

Mitsubishi G3M

Aero A-100

Admittedly I know very little about the single engine types.

What! No mention of the Lanc, Halifax, B-24, B-25, B-29, B-17G He177, Ju-88........and I beleive the Heinkel 51 was a fighter not really a bomber!

Thanks to everyone for replying and filling the gaps... pity that beauties such as the Do.23, Sch-10M, Br.413 or Zubr are ignored by the mainstream.

Paul, the aircrafts you mention are from a later period, they all entered service after the start of the war. You're right that the He.51 isn't a bomber, it was a light attack plane like the Hs.123.

By the by, I just remembered the PZL.37; I slaughtered a kit of it at some point, but I don't remember the brand.

I may add the Breda Ba.65, done in 1/72 scale by RCR, Azur and AZ.

And the Kawasaki Ki-32, made by A-Models. There could have been another kit of this aircraft, maybe Aviation USK but I can't really remember

As you mentioned the Hart, it may be worth adding that AZ also did the later Hind

Polikarpov R-5 (the one I've got was moulded by Pioneer 2 but I've a feeling other companies may also have boxed it) and R-Z (Azur)

Fairey Fox (Pegasus)

Westland Wapiti (Merlin) - depending how strictly you define 'bomber': it was officially a general purpose aircraft but regularly dropped bombs in anger during policing operations

hardly relevant to the inter-war forum...

Sorry misread the terms of reference, so deleted to avoid confusion! ;)

Does the Douglas DB-7 count as I think it first flew early 1939. I'm sure Hi Planes and MPM have done the early version?

TTFN

Trevor

Does the Douglas DB-7 count as I think it first flew early 1939. I'm sure Hi Planes and MPM have done the early version?

I guess so, a few examples made it to France before the Wehrmacht attacked. Unfortunately the relevant version - with the triangular fin - is not readily available in kit form, although the work involved is not impossible... alter the fin shape, remove the supercharger intakes, shorten the nose, shorten the engine nacelles, scratchbuild new exhausts. Whew.

The other contender, the Maryland, would also qualify.

Edited by Bonehammer

There is Pavla's Vought Vindigator kit in 1/72

The MPM group also issued a number of Vindicators under the MPM, Special Hobby and Azur brands. I've been told that the kit has been modified and the boxes available now have improved parts... not sure about this, but in any case my original Azur kit of the French version contains what looks like a very nice kit

Just out of curiosity, would you include patrol bombers, torpedo bombers and attack planes in the definition, i.e. anything with ground targets in its mission, or would you consider them separately?