Chieftain 1:35 Tamiya - My First Armour

I've just finished this today. It is the first 1:35 scale model and the first piece of armour I've made. It is the Tamiya "Mk5" Chieftain. I know this kit is hugely inaccurate however I've kept it purely as an OOB build.

I enjoyed making this model. I was anxious about weather as I didn't (and still don't!) have a clue what I was doing. It also felt wrong to make a nice clean new looking model look un-loved! Perhaps I should stick aircraft.

I've present it on a board with some grass and mud. The first pictures are of it completed and the later ones are of it pre-weathered.

In the future I may add some cam nets, and equipment.

Any advice, comments or questions are very welcome!

Thanks for looking.

imagejpg1_zps8550ba74.jpg

imagejpg4_zps4e2247f7.jpg

imagejpg6_zps7bb958ca.jpg

imagejpg7_zps86f02590.jpg

imagejpg8_zpsebc8cb6e.jpg

imagejpg6_zpsbb293fb8.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsa3fff651.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsca52cf84.jpg

Edited by DAG058
  • Like 3

DAG, some nice work fella, a few pointers just to help you on future projects which are based on

Your photos. I think you have used silver to depict chipped paint, you need to tone it down a bit,

Bare metal on a tank normally doesn't stay silver for long it does corrode quite fast.

You have modelled a British tank, the amount of paint on it probably equals the thickness of the armour so you need to do some serious damage just to chip the paint, you have heard of the saying " if it doesn't move paint it... That saying was invented by the British Army ".

I use a dark brown or a dark grey to show chipped and corroded metal, only very small amounts and only in areas that would receive heavy wear or perhaps take a knock. Also keep the gloss down unless you are showing it in the rain.

Another tip, grab a few ikea picture frames, cheap as chips and really set off the ground work, just remove the glass and add your dio base, here is one I did a while ago.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234934058-trumpeter-t-64a-finished/

Looking forward to seeing the next project and keep up the good work.

HTH

Dan

Looks good to me. Your weathering just need some practice. Thing to remember with a lot of 80s British tanks they are very well looked after and only got muddy on the training ground so would not really get a lot of paint chips. If it helps I cant weather aircraft :goodjob:

I'd echo the comments above re the weathering and chipping, but I posted mainly to say congrats on top photo. For just a wee bit of photoshopping t extend the muddy road, the photo really is very convincing indeed. That said, the grass on your diorama base is very even- I do hope you haven't driven your tank across someone's lawn!?

I hope the armour modelling bug bites- it really is very good fun playing around with various painting and weathering techniques in 1/35.

Edited by Killingholme

Thanks for the suggestions!

The base is more uneven than it looks, there are some raised parts however in the photo it does look like it's being driven over the local bowling green!

I never expected it to be a masterpiece, hence why I chose the horrible Tamiya Chieftain, it's was cheap therefore a perfect practise model. It's taught me alot though.

I don't have any other armour in my little stash at the moment. I may return in the future though!

• 3 weeks later...