Revell 1/48th RAF Tornado GR1A.......

Indeed it was Debs...I'm also a huge Douglas Adams fan and prefer the Vogons to the terminally dull Bjorn Borg any day, (even taking the poetry into consideration). Though Marvin is my type of guy it's that old Fjord designing hippy Slartibartfast that really takes the win......

• Like 1

Hi Jon, looking at the many available photos I have of the GR1A it appears that they were primarily Dark Green to match the main pylons but there may well have been exceptions of course. I'll be going for weathered RAF Dark Green...(Gunze H-330 which has a slightly brown hue))

Edited by general melchett

Hi Jon, looking at the many available photos I have of the GR1A it appears that they were primarily Dark Green to match the main pylons but there may well have been exceptions of course. I'll be going for weathered RAF Dark Green...(Gunze H-330 which has a slightly brown hue))

Thanks General. I'm modelling the aircraft below (a GR1B from 1995/1996; see links) and I *think* it looks like the actual rail is grey (maybe even Medium Sea Grey or similar?). I'll go with the actual pylon (the bit that attaches the rail to the tank pylon) in Dark Green. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any rules of thumb for how these were finished.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Panavia-Tornado-GR1B/2566757/&sid=e933170d60e1dfc20d475ca35ee94164

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1457004/

Cheers

Jon

See what you mean Jon, these shots certainly show the actual pylon as green, haven't seen one of the rail itself.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Panavia-Tornado-GR1A/1716664/L/&sid=93182f9f6f8adb17227a06f2a849d19c

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Panavia-Tornado-GR1A/0860471/L/&sid=93182f9f6f8adb17227a06f2a849d19c

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Panavia-Tornado-GR1A/0597657/L/&sid=93182f9f6f8adb17227a06f2a849d19c

These however seem to be grey,

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Panavia-Tornado-GR1A/1162632/L/&sid=93182f9f6f8adb17227a06f2a849d19c

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Panavia-Tornado-GR1A/0971793/L/&sid=93182f9f6f8adb17227a06f2a849d19c

Seems to be another case for checking references for a particular airframe....

I have a few scans of a walkaround of a GR1A showing this clearly which I'll post later as PB is in maintenance mode at the moment...

• Like 1

This is a scan of the colour references I've been using....both pylons on this particular aircraft are Dark Green. Unfortunately I don't have any shots of the launch rails fitted to early GR1A's Jon, (also of interest are the rows of 'rivets' on the metal tank centre section).

ScreenShot002-001_zpsxawhxbvc.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks General! I've got a good few photos of the particular machine I'm modelling, so I'll go with those. But my main concern now is the colour of the Sidewinder pylon between the rail and the big tank pylon. I think I'll just have to guess :) The four wing pylons are all dark green, so I think I'll go with that.

Cheers

Jon

• Like 1

General Sir,

the tank in the picture you posted above is a 1500 Litre tank. They were made of phenolic asbestos so no rivets i'm afraid. As far as I remember the sections were screwed together.

Happy days

Scoots

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry to barge into this thread with yet another question, but it's been such a good source of knowledge I can't help myself :) And I hope the good general has time someday to finish his model!

What colour should the tailhook be on a green/grey Tornado? I can't find any good images and I'm not sure if it should be in the camouflage colour or steel.

Thanks for any help

Jon

I'm sorry to barge into this thread with yet another question, but it's been such a good source of knowledge I can't help myself :) And I hope the good general has time someday to finish his model!

What colour should the tailhook be on a green/grey Tornado? I can't find any good images and I'm not sure if it should be in the camouflage colour or steel.

Thanks for any help

Jon

The arrestor hook was gloss white liberally coated with hydraulic oil, engine oil and fuel!

• Like 4

Hi Jon...here's a scan taken from an old magazine showing the hook in white as wasa says.

Tonks_zpslg3vgjud.jpg

I've been chatting about them with my wifes uncle who was a crew chief on the TTTE at Cottesmore back in the day, (Vulcan's in Cyprus before that), some great stories and nice snippets of information......Yes, hope to get back to the model very soon, meanwhile talk amongst yerselves... :winkgrin:

• Like 5

Interesting hard edge 'twixt the grey and green paint in your photo above, general, sah. To mine untrained eye, it looks as though it was hand-painted. Is this typical of (recent-ish) RAF camouflage?

Cheers,

Alex.

Hello again, another colour question I'm afraid: on a grey/green Tornado what colour should the recesses under the wing that the flaps retract into be? Are they a single colour or do they continue the camouflage pattern? And for that matter, what colour should the undersides of the slats be (the bit that's only exposed when they are deployed)?

Many thanks!

Jon

Hello again, another colour question I'm afraid: on a grey/green Tornado what colour should the recesses under the wing that the flaps retract into be? Are they a single colour or do they continue the camouflage pattern? And for that matter, what colour should the undersides of the slats be (the bit that's only exposed when they are deployed)?

Many thanks!

Jon

They always look lighter grey to my eye. But then they are kept clean by the polishing of the wing glove.

Would be interested to know this myself, note the Luftwaffe Tornado's have a grey recess area too, so maybe it is a Panavia coating which is hard wearing to prevent corrosion?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Jon, excellent job, really looks the part......great article too, you certainly had some fun with the thing ! I've been pouring over a real one to try and find yet more problems but enough's enough. I shall get on with the darn thing if only to clear it off the table !, honour of the regiment and all that...

M

• Like 1

Meanwhile, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm currently helping Miliverse Decals with research for the new RSAF Tornado IDS (grey/desert) and ADV sets (MV-72101) and was wondering if anyone here has any details of stenciling under the aircraft's belly and forward fuselage area under the intakes. I'm guessing that the stencils would be both in English and Arabic as standard), I've also asked the knowledgeable fellows of the Tornado SIG for any input) .

Here are five images that Mark G has asked me to post here to gauge just how much interest there will be, (a lot hopefully). The sets are of the highest order and whilst these are in 1/72nd scale there will be a 1/48th one to follow. Any further information/photos of the the stencils under the already mentioned belly, forward under fuselage and also on both sides of the wing pylons would be very welcome, .

MV72101-cover-red_zpsyglmgdcr.jpg

pg3_zpszytpye4f.jpg

pg2_zpscvb7qdww.jpg

pg1_zpsnc19cghd.jpg

pg4_zpswybvavmx.jpg

And the latest layout, subject to change...

MV72101-tornSIG%201_zpsxmmnph0h.jpg

Cheers,

Melchie

• Like 11