Canadian Lancaster - engine trouble

tomprobert

Fair point well presented. I am getting old you know !!!

However there were half a dozen Merlins.......

As for the Shack Griffins, we had previously held Griffins from fighters, but when the MoD sold some off they got rid of the Fighter versions leaving the only ones in stock the Contra-Rotating versions...

We had some 12000 different line items totally @750000 individual bits and bobs in the in the store, including things such as moulds for the Lanc Dorsal turret, a rig to enable a Spit to undergo Airtransport (apparently a BBMF Spit was taken to the US some years ago) and enough spares to make a couple of Chipmunks from scratch. The Chippy spares had been sold off by one MoD element as no longer required, and then had to be brought back from the Civvy company when a different MoD Project Team realised we still had a use for them !!!

• Like 1

Just Jane is lending an engine I believe. (one of the spares!)

How cool is that!

Sometimes the amount of good will in the warbird community puts a smile on my face :goodjob:

• Like 2

I wonder if Just Jane has just taken a big step forwards in terms of support to return to airworthiness ?

Despite a close-knit community, I cant really see the Panton family handing over a zero-hour Merlin without some kind of quid pro quo....

I can't imagine it's been handed over free, but they are supplying a 0 hour engine for the Canadians.... which is very nice of them!

Saw her fly out whilst going to the shops in Normanby ...the high street came to a halt !!

Those 4 Merlins managed to even drown the traffic noise out.......gorgeous sound .

Very glad she managed to get back on the deck with no further damage to crew or aircraft.

Andy

Really hoping she makes it to Duxford I'm over for both days went to Eastbourne on the Sunday and due to weather she didn't display have to admit Loved the Canberra and two seat spit which really should be in grey-green slate green interior green depending on ones point of view :evil_laugh:

Still Lanc related, I had a treat over my home at 2.55 pm today (seeing as I was and am unable to do Shoreham this weekend), PA474 and two Spits over flew nice and low!!Made my day and I saved £22!!! Worth while being in the garden cutting the grass at the right time ! Marvellous!

Bad news folks...the new engine isn't going to be ready in time for the Canadian Lancaster to attend the 3 Lancs event on 2nd September. Their web page confirms that the flypast is cancelled. Commiserations to those of you who had tickets for tomorrow, and they're saying the tickets won't be valid on the 7th. Hopefully that event won't be cancelled too...

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/events/Special-Events/once-in-a-lanc-time-3-lancasters.htm

Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings, everybody.

Dean

Edited by Deanflyer

From their Facebook page:

While work on replacing the Lancaster engine is progressing at a steady pace, regrettably, we are not going to be safely ready in time to attend the 3 Lancaster event at East Kirkby on Tuesday.

We are completing the final fittings on the new engine today, along with the team from Retro. Additional parts from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight are arriving from Coningsby today, then the engine will be hung. If all is good, an engine test run will be performed. After successfully testing the engine, a test flight will be conducted and then onto Coningsby.

As disappointed as I'm sure many will be who were hoping for her back in the air for East Kirkby, I think everyone would be in agreement that it's best to get this right and not risk what is essentially a priceless aircraft, not to mention the crew flying her.

I must say I've been very fortunate to see the two Lancs together twice - Eastbourne and Dunsfold - and will hopefully see them together again before the CHWM one departs for home.

It also appears that the BBMF stepped in with a spare engine rather than the East Kirkby crew as Radleigh suggested... however I'm sure the offer was very much appreciated. I wonder if/when the BBMF will get their engine back?!

Tom

EDIT: Also, it appears that the problem was a failed bearing in the supercharger - if this is true then at least the main engine block itself won't be damaged and thus the cost of repair may be less..?

Edited by tomprobert

[quote name="tomprobert" post="1726282")

EDIT: Also, it appears that the problem was a failed bearing in the supercharger - if this is true then at least the main engine block itself won't be damaged and thus the cost of repair may be less..?

Don't think so Tom, any debris from the supercharger is upstream of the rest of the engine and is highly likely to have been ingested into the cylinders with consequential damage. I'd expect a full stripdown and inspection at the least.

Not going so smoothly

From Canadian Warbird Heritage Museum.

Last night, we attempted to fire the new No. 4 engine. Unfortunately, it failed to catch. The team will be back at it this morning to resolve this so that we may return our Lancaster back to Coningsby.

According to Flight Radar 24 it's at 600ft and approaching Middlesborough at 1pm today(3rd Sept)

Edited by McYellowbelly