Reboxed Halifax artwork up on Airfix.com

John

Wasnt going to bother with this. The Halifax has never caught my avid attention.

But having done a bit of reading up, I realise Revells two offerings (of which I have the earlier in my stash) are both with in-line engines, and the Airfix re-pop has radials.

Seeing as I bothered to get the B2 Lanc, seems only fair I get the Mk3 Halifax...

Edited by alpine_modeller

Aah! I know its the old kit but it looks like lovely nose art on the decals and an RCAF one too!

I think you'll find that No.462 Squadron was an RAAF outfit.

Those Canadians have had a good run of late, 'bout time the Aussies got a bit of a look in!!

Now where is Airfix's Spitfire Vc with those "Churchill Wing" decals - 452, 457.........and OK 54 (RAF) Squadron?

Cheers .. Dave

It's high time these moulds were withdrawn and redone - with today's technology Airfix could do a much better job. In the meantime, anyone know how feasible it might be to match the Revell fuselage to the Airfix wings?

Would have been nice if Airfix had of re-tooled the glazed sprue for this and the Stirling.

I agree, whilst the coloured plastic aint 21st century stuff, this would of provided a significant improvement for both novice and experienced builders alike. I wouldn't touch the kit without the Falcon set or a Revell fuselage.

It came as a surprise to see this make a reappearance. The moulds on the previous run looked shot so unless work has been done to clean them up this looks one to avoid.

There was a build in Model Aircraft Monthly by Ray Ball and he reached the same conclusion.

The artwork is good though.

John.

Would have been nice if Airfix had of re-tooled the glazed sprue for this and the Stirling.

Better believe it! A pity we don't have a new Halifax B.III to go onto the nice new box. I guess this is one we can strike of the Airfix list of NEW kits for 2015. I'm afraid this is one I'll be avoiding

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

I do like the new Aussie decal option and might buy the kit just for those! The artwork on the box is very nice too.

Has anybody ever seen a photo of the 78 Sqn aircraft `Mungo Taipo'? I have these decals from the last release of the Airfix kit but the white stripes on the fins don`t seem to match the ones that I`ve seen for other 78 Sqn aircraft? I`ve been looking for a photo of this Halifax for years but to no avail,...... yet there is plenty of artwork available of this one,....is this a similar case to Kuttlewashers night intruder Hurricane?

Lets hope that this is a smoke screen for a brand new kit,...now wouldn`t that be nice?

Cheers

Tony

Edit- looks like the tractor and bomb trolley from the Stirling may have migrated over to the Halifax?

Edited by tonyot

I got the original as a present on my way home from hospital in 1965 along with the Airfix HMS Victorious aircraft carrier to keep me amused for a day or two while I convalesced. Basic is the word that comes to mind. The optimist might say blank canvas.

It could well be said that a re-issue in a nice new 21st century box with state of the art decals only creates a real curates egg and does not enhance Airfixs otherwise growing reputation for excellence with their new releases. If I bought this for the first time as a kid now I would be put off the brand.

Now if Airfix decided to do a new mould and then 1/48 it with a mark that could easily convert to the other marks then that would be something to shout about

It's high time these moulds were withdrawn and redone - with today's technology Airfix could do a much better job. In the meantime, anyone know how feasible it might be to match the Revell fuselage to the Airfix wings?

Done by our very own tonyot :). He cunningly hid it in Woody's kitbash of the Revell and Matchbox Halifaxes here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234910638

My pet theory is this is the last hurrah for the old tool. Hopefully we'll get a new one in 2016 (I think next year is a bit optimistic). Airfix have done this before (Gnat, Typhoon, Tiger Moth to name a few). Has anyone seen a group brandishing tape measures furtively looking around Elvington's?

Done by our very own tonyot :). He cunningly hid it in Woody's kitbash of the Revell and Matchbox Halifaxes here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234910638

My pet theory is this is the last hurrah for the old tool. Hopefully we'll get a new one in 2016 (I think next year is a bit optimistic). Airfix have done this before (Gnat, Typhoon, Tiger Moth to name a few). Has anyone seen a group brandishing tape measures furtively looking around Elvington's?

Thanks for that - I knew I'd seen something somewhere!

And when I was at Elvington last year, pre Telford, the hangar was so jam-packed that I doubt anyone could get neat the Halifax with a tape!

If somebody does go to Elvington to measure up the Halifax I hope that they ignore the engine exhausts as they are made from a plastic workman`s helmet and a length of plastic tubing!!! Also the fibre glass propellers are handed the wrong way! It looks as if the restoration team wanted to get it finished quickly and after doing a great job on the main airframe they sort of lost heart a bit when it came to adding the final pieces,.....we`ve all done it on a model at some stage! Maybe they intended to go back and sort these out at a later date but never got around to it, which is a great shame. Here is a pic;

DSCF4339_zpsd0fc3bc7.jpg

As you can see the cooling gills are not exactly accurate either!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

<Snip>

If I bought this for the first time as a kid now I would be put off the brand.

<snip>

Nah, I've just bought 20 PM T-38s for the school model club and they're going down a storm!

John