The Amerika Fighter

kwaterous

Thanks Christian and Graham,

Christian, that quite an interesting concept, do you know how and where they planned to have it atatched? Or did it never get that far?

Graham, thanks for dropping by, I think it may be too late for both of those fixes, one of the fuselages is already together, I don't particularly fancy cutting it apart now. As for the propellors, I could cut them off and add a shim of round stock, but then they just look odd... Any advice on that?

K

here are a couple of links that sort of show what is meant. Don't know of any really good detailed shots on the linkage.

http://z.greyfalcon.us/VS.htm

This is for a towed bomb, but you get the idea.

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/6673-fritz-x/page__st__20

adding a fuselage plug just in front of the tail is the easiest way to lengthen the fuselage (was done on the 190 Doras and 152's), not much work model wise at all.

Thanks for dropping Rich and Cookenbacher,

Rich, thanks for those, espescially the second link with the diagrams. I'll look into making the mounting from scratch, I would probably only make the little mounting, the line & tank would a lot of work unless I can find something in the spares box.

Cheers guys

K

Hi K,

Those are some of the information that I have seen! Nice one Rich!

Also, from, Green, W., 1967, War Planes of The Second World War; Bomber and Reconnaissance aircraft , Volume Eight, Macdonald & Co., London, PP. 158.

P. 107, "The Ar 234 was also involved in Deichselschlepp, or 'Air Trailer', trials which where initially aimed at providing the aircraft with an expendable long-range tank. Arado specified a 616 Imp. gal. towed tank for the Ar 234B and an 880 Imp. gal. tank for the Ar 234C, these being attached to the aircraft by means of a semi-rigid tube which acted as a tow bar and fuel feed pipe.

Looks like a lenticular housing at the base of the tail, (sprue carved to shape?), that the pipe attaches to.

How about one to the rear of each fuselage connected by a co-joining wing between, to reduce aerolastic and dynamic torque effects on the airframe :whistle::wicked:

Think I'm starting to like this wiffy business...

Christian the Married and exiled to africa

• Like 1

Thanks Christian, I have two ideas(one is pretty much like yours)

One on the inner side of each rear fuselage(under the tailplane)

Or

One coming directly off the middle wing section, braced at the tailplane

Not at home right now, so will have to look tonight

K

You can buy replacement props, if you think it matters. (Don't use ones from the Heller K because they are back-to-front.) The problem with developing an existing type is always that of going further than the design can take - a fine example being perhaps the way a high-altitude Bf109 project grew into the monstrous BV155. Ideas are lovely to play with, but changes in one area do have an effect elsewhere, and you end up "firefighting", chasing the symptoms not the disease. Fortunately you don't actually have to worry about this too much when you're only modelling, but I do have a preference for those ideas that really are at least remotely possible and not real no-hopers. You don't have to care.

Another solution to the extra fuel would be to carry it in a pod under the centre-section. You can get extra tail area by fitting a constant-chord unit between the two fuselages. Yes, this does seem a bit F-82ish but there's good reason for that - it worked.

I got used to lengthening 109 fuselages when the best kit around was the "tadpole" Heller G, but I've never tried it on one that was the right length to start with. Just make a cut in front of the tail along one of these nice convenient panel joins and add a couple of bits of the thickest plasticard you've got. File to shape. Tank just stuck a short constant section into the Fw190 so doing the same with the Bf109 leaves a clear conscience!

Edited by Graham Boak

Wow, thanks Graham.

I think I'll leave the props as is for this build, as I'm not keen on spending extra money on a Whif. In future I'll know they need replacing.

I'm not sure what you mean by "parallel chord". If you mean it's the same shape, width all the way between the fuselages, that's what I was planning. One constant width horizontal stabilizer is what I have planned, so it's good to know it's actually viable.

Another I'll leave be this time around, but it's useful to know how to do that. I'll leave it this time, just for simplicity's sake.(also, my thickest plastic card is credit card thickness)

Thanks for the input

K

Ah, that's more clear(clearer?) thank you.

The plane will have 3 large (p-61) drop tanks slung under it at the end of the build, but I dont think I'll add a "long dong" pod to this one.

I'm not sure if you understood, or if I'm misunderstanding you, but the finished plane will have a single tailplane between the fuselages, along with the original, outer tailplanes.

K

Another possibility for range increase might be to launch it, Mistel-style, from a much larger carrier. The Fw-200 Condor would be sized right, except that it could barely support its own weight without falling apart. Maybe a Ju-88 Zwillung?

Rob, thanks for the input, I had thought of that, but I like to display my models on their legs, and an entire second model would be too much work for this guy, finishing one is hard enough. It would be an interesting idea to try out though, perhaps 1:144?

K

• 2 weeks later...

Little more done on this one. got exhausts installed and made up pitot.

P8310059_zps30f8a30d.jpg

exhausts (sorry for bad photo)

P8310062_zps9ee4fd7b.jpg

pitot. I attacked bit of straightened brass wire with a file (sorry about the photo)

I have also started into the towed tank, but no noteworthy progress yet.

K

:pilot:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some place in my Luft 46 kits, a zwilling version of the Messerschmidt piston engine fighter that was to replace the 109, you have followed many of the design shapes used in it.

To get to America this would probable take off from the back of a BV 222 seaplane. The landing gear would only be used for training and test flights. Or when used for long range sea patrols.

When taking off from the ground I could see this using RATO packs.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I pulled this one out again, I've got some motivation to finish it back.

I've now got two joined fuselages, and a nice shiny new wing centre section (except it not particularly shiny)

P8310063_zps9e7f0d1d.jpg

The two fusages in a mini mock-up

P8310064_zps37b6e480.jpg

The putty on the right hand (in the previous photo) fuselage has been done too

P9010065_zps2d8cb1f5.jpg

Start of the centre wing.

P9010067_zpse7e99241.jpg

A middle step. Those are just chunks of sprue to give it some support.

P9010068_zps6b311815.jpg

Glued together, you can also see the new tailplane (have I posted about if before)?

P9030051_zps32ae4a82.jpg

An almost finished wing section. Still a bit more filling to do yet.

Anyway, basically an update to show that this project has "woken up"

Cheers,

K

• Like 1

Thanks, it was the only way I could think of to have it be fairly strong, and to have a consistent profile all the way across.

Also, replace that "little bit of filling" with "a bloody huge lot of filling" :(

P9110054_zpsf5b728f2.jpg

You may also notice I got impatient and added some paint. I'm sure I'll regret it, but oh well...

Cheers,

K

• Like 1

Thanks Graeme,

I am thoroughly tired of filling and sanding...

P9140055_zps44642212.jpg

Urf...

P9140056_zpse556d084.jpg

Double urf...

I made a gun camera, just for fun, and I was tired of sanding.

P9140058_zps798236e8.jpg

It'll get some refining...

Also ended up having to fix a stupid mistake. I knocked the exhaust into the fuselage, and, try as I might, I couldn't get it back into position. So I steeled myself and:

P9140059_zpsf17f8a81.jpg

YIKES!!!!!

P9140060_zps6bd2aa77.jpg

Little bit better.

Some more filling will be required.

(And sanding :( )

Anyway, comment or whatever are appreciated

Cheers,

K

• Like 1