747 SP Conversion

oasis747

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who will tell you to seek out a Welsh Models vac form kit instead of converting from a -200.as virtually every item of the donor kit will need some serious work.

I had considered converting a Revell kit myself until I sat down and thought long and hard about it. I decided in the end to bite the bullet and take the easy way out.

I do happen to have a magazine article somewhere which shows how to do the conversion and I will be happy to send you a copy if you still want to go for it.

Chris.

One more vote in favour of the Welsh kit, imho one of their finest creation.

The Revell-Classic conversion featured in FSM, however, looked mightily good, as convincing as Welsh's complete kit, it just requests much more work.

As a side note, the Welsh PW engines are much more convincing than the Revell PW ones, which were never mounted on the 747SP anyway.

In which livery do you plan doing yours ?

Possibly the old Qantas or Pan AM billboard...

Both are easily available from aftermarket decal producers. Very good choice, especially the Qantas old livery, plus it has Rollers, mankind's greatest invention ;-)

• Like 1

Essentially you clip the landing gear parts from the sprues, and then throw the rest of the kit in the trash.

Then buy a Welsh vacuform kit and build an SP from it.

As long as it's in Pan Am colours. :wub:

The kit decals included in the Pan Am boxing are superb.

That was a South African Airways machine, tarted up into Air Malawi colours for a state to the U.K. of Dr Hastings Banda, the Malawian president. Picture a thin orange stripe between the white and the metal, and the basic SAA scheme pops out.

I'm not sure if it was just for the one trip, ( I think it might have been ) or if Air Malawi used it for a while.

Dr. Banda was the only black African leader who had diplomatic relations with South Africa at the time, so basically, what he wanted, he got.

Of course I am biased here, but check out the SAA delivery scheme on the SP. Quite attractive I think ( I think Welsh put the kit out with this livery)

Going for a billboard scheme, for a large model like this, will leave a whole lotta white goin' on. I'm a huge fan of cheatlines.

Cheers,

Mike