1/32 se5a

pilot27uk

Hi guys, just realised I originally posted this in the wrong forum. I have recently been given a Roden 1/32 se5a and I'm looking at the rigging aspects. Once i get some turnbuckles etc then I will purchaes some wire butI have a couple of questions that i would be grateful for some help:

What gauge of EZ or monofilament would you recommend using?

Which is best, EZ Line or mono?

Do they require painting at all?

I appologise in advance if this causes a massive argument lol.

A

Edited by pilot27uk

I haven't got my EZ Line to hand at the moment so I can't give numbers, but check the Wingnut Wings site. They sell EZ line, and no doubt have the correct size. They also sell another type of line (and it is cheaper, I think) specifically for use on Allied planes. It has a flat profile, which is appropriate for most (if not all - I don't do many Allied planes) Allied air.

Hopefully WW can act as a guide for you. If I recall correctly, both types come in the correct colour (or options thereof), and I never paint EZ Line but I don't claim to be any sort of expert - I do what looks right to me.

Some guys here will opt for mono, and their work indicates why - they are masters in the use thereof. Me, I normally use EZ Line because it has a higher tolerance for cack-handedness!

Edited by jckspratt1

The stuff referred to by JCK - the flat line that WNW sells - is "knitting-in elastic" (whatever that is!) It's available in 200m rolls at fabric shops at about a quarter of the price that WNW sell it. It's made by a company called Prym. It's also available on a well-known internet auction site for about £4 posted.

Edited by Ivor Ramsden

The stuff referred to by JCK - the flat line that WNW sells - is "knitting-in elastic" (whatever that is!) It's available in 200m rolls at fabric shops at about a quarter of the price that WNW sell it. It's made by a company called Prym. It's also available on a well-known internet auction site for about £4 posted.

Ah - good to know. If that's the case, I gather it may be approached with caution - again, not my area as I have not used it, but I think some brands at least deteriorate fairly markedly over time, particularly in sunlight. If it's what I think it is (it has rubber in it, methinks).

Sounds like Ivor'd be able to confirm that, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys, might try the knitting-in elastic.

I have been reading tht the turnbuckles for the support rigging, RAF wires and control surface rigging are different. Can anyone suggest where to buy accurate turnbuckles, RAF Wire ang control surface buckles?

Edited by pilot27uk

If it was me I'd use the knit in elastic for RFC planes as it has a flatter profile than EZ line which is thinner, oh and it's the thin EZ line you need if you were to use that.

I find those Gaspatch turnbuckles expensive but they look good. I use twisted copper wire and .5mm brass tube. Head over to ww1aircraftmodels.com for heaps of info on rigging and rigging materials.

I don't bother painting either elastics though you could bung some silver on if you so desire.

If the SE5a is your first attempt at rigging then good luck it's a tricky one, the WNW SE5a was my first one and I struggled, but ive not built anything other than WWI planes since.

Thanks guys, might try the knitting-in elastic.

I have been reading tht the turnbuckles for the support rigging, RAF wires and control surface rigging are different. Can anyone suggest where to buy accurate turnbuckles, RAF Wire ang control surface buckles?

RB productions make PE RAF attachment points and RAFwires in 2 widths. The attachments (which on RAFwired aeroplanes you have instead of turnbuckles) are very good, but will drive you insane trying to fold and assemble. The wires look good despite being flat rather than aerofoil section, but are hell to install because the flexing of the wimgs when you manipulate the model cause the wires to bend and ping loose. I tried it once on a WNW Biff and took them all off. Shortened them and used them on a Roden SE5a, where they were just about acceptable. The shorter the wire length, the less the trouble. I'd not do it again, but YMMV. These days I use EZline (the smaller size, as said above).

Control wires OTOH are round section, and usually do have a visible turnbuckle here and there.........

Paul.