Tamiya 1/12 Ducati 1199 Panigale S - Senna Version

hey man nice clean build you have going on here, I'm also working on the same model so perhaps I'll put up my build soon.

I have enjoyed watching your WIP keep it up fella!

Thanks! Please share

Fantastic build.

Love it !

Congrats,

Jamme

Thank you!

So i was planning to use tamiya TS-38 gunmetal for the body panels but the metallic flakes look really coarse. Anyone have experience with Zeropaints Ducati Grey (Grigio Scuro)? whats the flake like?

Got the display/cluster finished and mounted. grip/lever also painted and installed.

IMG_6783_zps7a398c65.jpg

IMG_6785_zps81946b78.jpg

Hi Jimmy, zero paints are the ones to use, I have the grigro scuro and its got no flake at all, you will find most of the guys here including myself use Zero paints all the time, as they are unbeatable for colour matching and spraying. If you give Steve at Hiroboy a ring he will answer any questions you may have. The bike is looking really good,and im looking foreward to seeing it finished.

Dave

Hi Jimmy, zero paints are the ones to use, I have the grigro scuro and its got no flake at all, you will find most of the guys here including myself use Zero paints all the time, as they are unbeatable for colour matching and spraying. If you give Steve at Hiroboy a ring he will answer any questions you may have. The bike is looking really good,and im looking foreward to seeing it finished.

Dave

Thanks David. I just tried to order it from Hiroboy but they won't ship to Hong Kong!... probably because it's a flammable.

Trying to find a local source now...

So the kit calls for 'brembo' decals on the calipers... instead i took X7 + X20 for a more realistic approach.

IMG_6791copy_zpse644800f.jpg

Got the front fender painted in carbon effect using 20D pantyhose. cleared with clear matt black.

Also painted and installed the left and right liner (with battery box etc)

im still searching for the zeropaints so i can get started on the fairings and other body parts...

IMG_6900_zpsff0cbcd7.jpg

IMG_6901_zpscc84ee41.jpg

IMG_6908_zps9b430549.jpg

• Like 1

Agreed! I wouldn't mind building this kit again

FYI. I have to replace the rubber tubing that tamiya supplies. The one from the kit tends to kink and rip really easily. Just a heads up for people building this kit as well.

Looking very good Jimmy, it's a pity nobody is making SBK decals for this kit...

Colin

What.....these ones?? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-12-Alstare-Ducati-WSBK-2013-C-Checa-upgrade-decal-ducati-panigale-/201170093119?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item2ed6ac043f

ATB

Agreed! I wouldn't mind building this kit again

FYI. I have to replace the rubber tubing that tamiya supplies. The one from the kit tends to kink and rip really easily. Just a heads up for people building this kit as well.

What have you replaced them with? TBH, they're always on the large size the brake & clutch pipes.....

ATB

i use stretched heatshrink tube for the brake/clutch/sparkplug cables. you can stretch it until you are happy with the size and it is much easier to route than wire. another good thing is the thin rubber cord used in jewelry making.

• Like 1

Wow really nice work on the front fairing, do you have any advice on how you did it? I have heard about using pantyhose to recreate CF but havent seen a reasonable tutorial on how to do it.

In regards to zero paints, I ordered some from Spotmodel, I'll let you know how I got on as I live in Australia so might be a good indicator for you in HK.

As for the hoses and pipes I found model factory hiro do some good gauge tubes mainly clear ones so you would have to paint them. I will put my build up soon when I get a chance, its mostly done so I might just copy and paste the WIP from another site I am on.

• Like 1

What.....these ones?? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-12-Alstare-Ducati-WSBK-2013-C-Checa-upgrade-decal-ducati-panigale-/201170093119?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item2ed6ac043f

ATB

What have you replaced them with? TBH, they're always on the large size the brake & clutch pipes.....

ATB

Oh man, those decals sound pretty good since they say no need for softener. But US$47 is a little steep...

I still haven't figured out what to use yet for the brake and clutch lines.... i'm looking at black electrical wire right now but might give the stretched heat shrink a try and the .68 hose.

Wow really nice work on the front fairing, do you have any advice on how you did it? I have heard about using pantyhose to recreate CF but havent seen a reasonable tutorial on how to do it.

In regards to zero paints, I ordered some from Spotmodel, I'll let you know how I got on as I live in Australia so might be a good indicator for you in HK.

As for the hoses and pipes I found model factory hiro do some good gauge tubes mainly clear ones so you would have to paint them. I will put my build up soon when I get a chance, its mostly done so I might just copy and paste the WIP from another site I am on.

Thanks! I attached the fairing to a wooden skewer using Blu-tack. Layed down semi gloss black as a base coat. Then i stretched the pantyhose (20 den) over the fender and pulled it down towards the bottom of the skewer and taped it down. i had to pull certain areas tighter so it would stay close to the fairing, then i just added more tape to hold it down.

I mixed 1:1 gunmetal and aluminium silver and sprayed over top. it's better to lay down a few more coats to ensure good coverage. then remove the pantyhose and sprayed matt clear black over top.... this is where you can tint the silver down to look like CF.

i had to try this on some water bottles a few times which is always a good idea.

I went on spotmodel but couldn't find the 1199 Senna color... maybe they're out of stock

• Like 2

Thanks! I attached the fairing to a wooden skewer using Blu-tack. Layed down semi gloss black as a base coat. Then i stretched the pantyhose (20 den) over the fender and pulled it down towards the bottom of the skewer and taped it down. i had to pull certain areas tighter so it would stay close to the fairing, then i just added more tape to hold it down.

I mixed 1:1 gunmetal and aluminium silver and sprayed over top. it's better to lay down a few more coats to ensure good coverage. then remove the pantyhose and sprayed matt clear black over top.... this is where you can tint the silver down to look like CF.

i had to try this on some water bottles a few times which is always a good idea.

I went on spotmodel but couldn't find the 1199 Senna colour... maybe they're out of stock

Hi,

Try "Senna Grey (Grigio Scuro) DUC37" with Spotmodel...that's the correct code ordering from Steve at Hiroboy...I'm sure Juan will advertise once he knows the code. Give Juan a message, he's a lovely guy who's sooooooo helpful.

ATB....

Oh yes, brake & clutch lines? .68mm braided fishing line in grey. IIRC, it was 150lb breaking strain....loads on eBay! Have fun..........

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looking fantastic. I have just bought this kit And the hobby design detail set. Hope i can make it look this good

• Like 1

Beautiful work on this. Some of the nicest and cleanest metal finishes I've seen in a long time..

Second that too. What lovely paints Tamiya enamels are, including the metallics... The Senna scheme is quite popular these days, this guy in Japan has done a Senna rep plus an even nicer Mike Hailwood rep. I was planning on doing too :weep: ... Great stuff.

Just started on the front disk brakes of mine today. Using the hobby desgin photo etch one's. Five hours latter i have two front disks :)

• Like 1