Revell P-51D - first attempt with Alclad

Hi Folks,

I decided to have a go at Alclad so I chose a cheap kit which I wouldn't regret ruining...Hence the Revell P-51D, it's a right dog of a kit :shutup:

Didn't photograph the underside as massive gaps I couldn't be bothered to fill, spent more time on the cockpit than I should really.

Quite pleased with the Alclad on first inspection but I must have had something noxious on my fingers(possibly meths) so got a few dodgy patches where I'd handled it. Happy with my painted invasion stripes though.

If you squint a little and dim the lights it's got the vague shape of a Mustang :winkgrin: Even had some stress marks on the plastic that the paint wouldn't cover. Glad I've got the new Airfix offering in the stash !!

_DSC00031.jpg_DSC00041.jpg_DSC00052.jpg_DSC00021.jpg

• Like 7

Excellent first AlcIad shot. Stick with it. Alclad is a tricky beast, get it right and it's simply amazing, no comparison. Be (very, very) patient with it, it's all it the preparation.

But for a first go i am very impressed indeed. My first (few) were disastrous.

• 2 weeks later...

the paint looks good for first try with alclads. you can always go on their web page, they have nice step by step tutorials with recomended psi and all their alclad effects :) so hope to see your work on some better kit next time :) (the revell P-51D is quite sad :( )

Looks good, I'm still not brave enough to try anything more than Revell silver Aquacolour. Or maybe I'm too mean to buy anything more swish. Nice work though!

That's probably my favourite silver for representing bare aluminium. I'm going to use American Art Clay's Brush'n'Leaf on the intake ring and jet tailpipe fairing of my Airfix Lightnings.