Olympic's Dazzle camo

Daniel.H.

Hi all,

It's been a long time I wanted to build a ship with razzle dazzle camouflage and I think I'll start one soon. The Olympic, in 1/700th scale.

I found a lot of excellent pictures, but as they are all in black and white, it's hard to be sure of what the colors really were.

I saw some models were the port side is very colourfull (yellow, violett and red for example) but it looks a bit strange. I found too some drawings were the dazzle is in differents kinds of blue, black and white wich seems pretty more plausible. I'm speaking of these drawings in particular:

d4547507-932e-4101-a051-e6cdaf2c2377.jpg

340287bb-3192-46e6-997e-63469563788b.jpg

I wanted to know if those paintings are realistics, was the dazzle really in blue?

Daniel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zty8tfr

This should help but those colours look correct

Thank you a lot for the link, it's really interesting (and usefull!) :)

So, as this articles says the colors used were mostly blue or green and the strange colorfull model I saw is just a cheap diecast, I think I'll paint it in blue like in my drawings.

Daniel

Hi Daniel

Olympic wore two different dazzle schemes during the war, both schemes (plus the other schemes she wore) are modelled as well as possible given available information on the Currell website

These are paper models to 1:1200 scale and are free to download, they could be scaled up to 1:700 and used as a basis for creating masks for the revell kit - they'll also show where additional detail is required for these schemes eg guns and extra boats.

If you fancy a go at building one of the paper versions, there's a build thread of my 1920's Olympic here

Dave

Hi Daniel

Olympic wore two different dazzle schemes during the war, both schemes (plus the other schemes she wore) are modelled as well as possible given available information on the Currell website

These are paper models to 1:1200 scale and are free to download, they could be scaled up to 1:700 and used as a basis for creating masks for the revell kit - they'll also show where additional detail is required for these schemes eg guns and extra boats.

If you fancy a go at building one of the paper versions, there's a build thread of my 1920's Olympic here

Dave

Thank you very much, your links are awesome, I couldn't hope better!

I just have a last question. Today I ordered the kit at my local store, but I thought it would be even better if I added some PE parts, but I don't know any online store where I can find PE for ships (I know good websites for airplanes and armor, but not for maritime models), so do you know some good ones where I could find that?

Daniel

Hi again Daniel

Assuming you're in the UK (or even if you're not, as they will ship worldwide), a good source of all things maritime is White Ensign Models

Gold Medal Models do a generic Merchant Ship set (bigger pic & more info here) which is biased towards Titanic and Lusitania for the Academy Minicraft kits, but much of this should be suitable for the Revell Olympic. As far as I'm aware there's no specific etch for the Revell kit, and I don't think there is any direct aftermarket guns for the WW1 fit either, but you might find something similar that could be adapted on the WEM site. If not scratch building them using the paper model parts as plans shouldn't be too difficult.

Dave

That's very very tiny, I don't think I'm good enough to work with this, I'll probably just add scratch made guns and maybe some other details.

And, no, I'm not from England but from Switzerland (if I made mistakes it's because I'm still learning english) so that's another reason why I don't think I'll buy these PE, it usually takes more than one month to receive parcells from GB, so if I really want to start this model one day, I should rather just do it with what's in the box!

Daniel

Hi Daniel

Yes, it's very tiny - but you did ask! The model should look fine even without the etch, please post some photos as you are building, I'd be interested to see how you get on.

Your English is fine, much better than my feeble attempts at foreign languages. I've always been impressed that a Swiss company became one of the worlds larges producers of some of the worlds largest marine engines!

Dave

Of course I will do a step by step, but first I'll have to finish my MiG-21:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234965477-eduards-mig-21smt-in-48th-scale/

Not much more left, just some weathering and some pieces and the decals to add and it will be done :)

Swiss companies are really strange! We make marine engines but we have no seas, we build weapons but we are neutral,...

Daniel

Mini craft kits are to release the Olympic in 1913 fit at a scale of 1/350

Wow, it will sure be awesome, but even 1/700 scale is big with a ship like this (~40cm length) , so as I'd love to make a trio (Olympic/Mauretania/ Leviathan) of troopships, I'll rather stay in small scales.